Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ds252

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Is there any reason i should be worried about running with a hard drive mp3 or are the advancements so great that nothing should happen?

jmack549

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2007
thats true, i never really thought of that. i certainly wouldnt strap a hard drive to my arm and run, i wonder how that works...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
thats true, i never really thought of that. i certainly wouldnt strap a hard drive to my arm and run, i wonder how that works...

I sure as hell wouldn't. No way would I submit as densely-packed hard drive as the 80GB one in the iPod to a bunch of shaking around - flash or nothing if you're going running.

jmack549

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2007
I sure as hell wouldn't. No way would I submit as densely-packed hard drive as the 80GB one in the iPod to a bunch of shaking around - flash or nothing if you're going running.

well, my brother runs all the time with his 5.5 g video, and it still works like a charm years later. i wonder how they do it, because if i snapped the hd out of my pc it wouldnt make it a mile

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
well, my brother runs all the time with his 5.5 g video, and it still works like a charm years later. i wonder how they do it, because if i snapped the hd out of my pc it wouldnt make it a mile

I think this thread is going to be full of "my (insert acquaintance here) runs all the time with his/her (insert HDD-based iPod here) and it's fine. But the fact remains that you really shouldn't go jogging with something packing 80GB of data onto a 1.8" platter spinning at 3600rpm - it's inviting trouble.

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
I think this thread is going to be full of "my (insert acquaintance here) runs all the time with his/her (insert HDD-based iPod here) and it's fine. But the fact remains that you really shouldn't go jogging with something packing 80GB of data onto a 1.8" platter spinning at 3600rpm - it's inviting trouble.

Actually, I don't think the density or the speed matters at all. Any HDD-based product could potentially be damaged by sudden movements like that.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Actually, I don't think the density or the speed matters at all. Any HDD-based product could potentially be damaged by sudden movements like that.

It's true but there are more sudden motion sensors in use with hard drives now, not just computers.

I don't recall hearing of anyone having a problem with a full-sized iPod even skipping because of motion since the third generation.

ebony

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2007
Every hard drive based ipod ( 3 in total ) I've ever had has always been completely garbage for use when running. I'd recommend a shuffle, nano or touch for runners.

Hero33

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
Makati, Philippines
Hmmm.

Thats kind of funny. I have a 3rd gen iPod that I jog with almost every other day. I run about 7km in 20 minutes so its pretty frantic. I do run while holding it in either hand though.

I've dropped it more than 5 times and brought it jogging while going through a 160kph wind/typhoon trek around the village with pouring rain (I like the strong rain :D)

So far the worse thing about it is that the battery lasts less than 2 hours on a full charge or overnight charge.

My guess is that because the drive plates are so tiny, the shake produces minimal disturbance. Think of a plate spinning on a stick. Big plates will wobble a lot while putting a coin on the stick will produce something pretty stable (or is it just unnoticeable?).

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
apart from the dangers of the HDD failing prematurely, its not exactly the most comfortable thing to be swinging around in your pocket or on your arm. For exercise, I'd much rather have a Shuffle or Nano than an iPod or even an iPod touch.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Hmmm.

Thats kind of funny. I have a 3rd gen iPod that I jog with almost every other day. I run about 7km in 20 minutes so its pretty frantic. I do run while holding it in either hand though.
?).

I highly doubt that you are running 4.34 miles in 20 minutes, especially with an iPod in your hand. That's under 5 minutes a mile

ds252

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Yeah that seems a little fast to be running. Thanks for all the comments i am going to buy a shuffle.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

and he would possibly be representing his country in some form of running event, if he could run over 4 miles at that pace. maybe not in the US, but very likely in other countries

1 mile is believable, 2 miles is feasible, but over 4 miles? i'm not saying it isn't possible, but someone with that speed wouldn't be running with a big ipod in his hand.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I have ran with hard drive based iPods before and had no problem. I think the concern with hard drives is more of repeated dropping on hard surfaces, etc. As long as you don't drop it loads and loads of times I wouldn't worry one bit :p

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I have continuously ran with my 1G 5gb iPod since the day I got it and it still works. If the first iteration of the iPod can last that long, the generations following it should to.

The idea is that a human body dampens the iPod from receiving any big jolts (like when you drop an iPod). Therefore you have nothing to worry about because between the 20minute buffer and compact size of components there is virtually no risk in the iPod being damaged.

Those who say otherwise are Paranoid (which accounts for many people on these boards).

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
how about you run on a treadmill and leave the iPod on the table next to you. that way you can run but your iPod doesn't have to!

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
Get a nano...

I remember running with my old 4g iPod and it would skip almost every time the disk would spin. When I got the 5g I decided not to run with it. That's what's great bout flash, it doesn't move...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I run about once ever second day but I'm a sprinter so my running style is probably quite high-impact. Before I bought my current nano, I'd get through a hard drive based iPod about every six months. They'd usually get replaced under warranty, but that's hardly the point. I've had my current nano for nine months and it's showing no signs of failing. The hard drive based iPods would start showing signs of failing after about four months by skipping tracks and freezing.

If you're going to be running with a hard drive based iPod then try to refrain from manually changing tracks mid-run. Let the iPod fill its buffer so that it doesn't have to read from the drive so much. :)

Hero33

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
Makati, Philippines
I highly doubt that you are running 4.34 miles in 20 minutes, especially with an iPod in your hand. That's under 5 minutes a mile

hmmm hence the word ABOUT. I believe in English thats a word people used for approximation. I don't think iPods are too big for jogging. I remember people used to jog with Discmans.

back to the topic,

I heard the new ipods aren't as rugged as older ones. I hope this isn't the case, it would be a real shame.

Animalk

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Montreal Canada
I ran treadmill/outdoors and went go karting with my 3G 15Gig ipod for almost 3 years untill the battery gave. Then i got a 5G 30Gig video ipod under warranty and I have been doing the same with it. The 3G skipped or took a bit longer to load songs some times but THE 5G HAS NEVER MISSED A BEAT or showed any signs of trouble with vibrations or movement.

There is no doubt that hard disks don't like movement but Apple has built in many safeguards as to make sure the hard disk is only being accessed at moments of stability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.