Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cybertron3

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2003
Mass
I believe this is it:

--got this from somewhere else... --

Installer.app just released a GUI installer that will jailbreak your phone the new, good way. Not the old ./jailbreak way. Instead of "pave and replace" Microsoft style, it sets up com.apple.afc2 and ... well, basically just does it a whole lot cleaner. It will then install the Installer.app package management program. I can not stress enough how important it is that you get this program ... they maintain a repository of all software released for the iPhone, and the program checks, updates, installes, uninstalls, all without having to use the computer. Want to install Zune2.app? It will automatically download and install the program. You just have to hit install.

I HIGHLY recommend using these instructions instead of the ones in the original post. You don't have to deal with the Terminal. Although I have no problem using the terminal, others do. Some replies in this thread prove that.

These are instructions for a completely unhacked phone:

1. Download AppTapp Installer from here:
http://www.nullriver.com/~zigzag/AppTappInstaller.zip

Run the program. It is extremely straight forward. This will install the Installer.app program on your phone. You will see a new icon on your phone for Installer.app.

2. Using Installer.app on your iPhone, find "Community Resources" on the list under the Install tab. Tap on it, and then tap install. Then once that's installed, install all of the following:

* BSD Subsystem
* Term-VT100

3. Launch Term-VT100 on your iPhone, type srelay and hit return.

4. On your Mac, click the Wifi icon and click "Create Network..." Choose a name like iPhone or something.

5. On your iPhone, go to Preferences -> Wifi. Connect to the network you just created, and press the little blue "(>)" next to it. Change it from DHCP to Static.

* IP Address: 192.168.1.100
* Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Then tap The <Wi-Fi Networks] button, then press the home button just for good measure.

6. On your Mac, go to System Preferences -> Network and double click on Airport. Go to the TCP/IP tab and for Configure IPv4: select "Manually."

* IP address: 192.168.1.101

Go to Proxies. Scroll down to SOCKS Proxy and check the little box next to it.

* IP address: 192.168.1.100
* Port: 1080

Hit "Apply Now" ... Open Safari and have fun.

Once you're done tethering, you need to uncheck SOCKS Proxy on your Mac.

If you want to tether a second time, start at step 3.

HatefulMeaning

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
For the 6th step mine says IPv6 not IPv4. and I can't seem to type in the address and there is no Subnet mask either.
My laptop is a Macbook Pro.

smiwin

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2008
using PDANet downloaded from cydia on jailbroken iphone:

YES! Got it. Teathering on the iPhone!

PDANET wording was a little confusing, said to setup ad-hoc on iphone. Actually:

1. Setup new wireless connection on PC, choose ad-hoc(computer to computer), name the connection something, in my case 'iPhone'

2. Open browser on iphone, just to get the internet connection going and active

3. On iPhone, in wi-fi settings, under choose a network, look for 'iPhone'

4. Launch PDANet

5. Apple will have to come out with one hell of an update to get me to go to next version that will prevent this capability, I'm at 2.1 forever! LOL

6. You can setup a WEP/WPA secure ad-hoc connection as well.

Now if someone could please provide me with the rest of missing functionality from this sorry excuse for a pda i'll be happy:
X Teathering app - found PDANET
- Camera video recording app
- notes with outlook sync or some way to upload notes
X book reader - found ruBooks
- orb (blocked)
- tasks with outlook sync or descent task/project manager
X file browser - found iPhone browser
- copy paste

1witheverything

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2009
Tethering iPhone 3G

I believe this is it:

--got this from somewhere else... --

Installer.app just released a GUI installer that will jailbreak your phone the new, good way. Not the old ./jailbreak way. Instead of "pave and replace" Microsoft style, it sets up com.apple.afc2 and ... well, basically just does it a whole lot cleaner. It will then install the Installer.app package management program. I can not stress enough how important it is that you get this program ... they maintain a repository of all software released for the iPhone, and the program checks, updates, installes, uninstalls, all without having to use the computer. Want to install Zune2.app? It will automatically download and install the program. You just have to hit install.

I HIGHLY recommend using these instructions instead of the ones in the original post. You don't have to deal with the Terminal. Although I have no problem using the terminal, others do. Some replies in this thread prove that.

These are instructions for a completely unhacked phone:

1. Download AppTapp Installer from here:
http://www.nullriver.com/~zigzag/AppTappInstaller.zip

Run the program. It is extremely straight forward. This will install the Installer.app program on your phone. You will see a new icon on your phone for Installer.app.

2. Using Installer.app on your iPhone, find "Community Resources" on the list under the Install tab. Tap on it, and then tap install. Then once that's installed, install all of the following:

* BSD Subsystem
* Term-VT100

3. Launch Term-VT100 on your iPhone, type srelay and hit return.

4. On your Mac, click the Wifi icon and click "Create Network..." Choose a name like iPhone or something.

5. On your iPhone, go to Preferences -> Wifi. Connect to the network you just created, and press the little blue "(>)" next to it. Change it from DHCP to Static.

* IP Address: 192.168.1.100

Then tap The <Wi-Fi Networks] button, then press the home button just for good measure.

6. On your Mac, go to System Preferences -> Network and double click on Airport. Go to the TCP/IP tab and for Configure IPv4: select "Manually."

* IP address: 192.168.1.101

Go to Proxies. Scroll down to SOCKS Proxy and check the little box next to it.

* IP address: 192.168.1.100
* Port: 1080

Hit "Apply Now" ... Open Safari and have fun.

Once you're done tethering, you need to uncheck SOCKS Proxy on your Mac.

If you want to tether a second time, start at step 3.

Q#1: Can tethering be done between a MacBook/intel processor ... and an iPhone 3G?

Q#2: Can it be done without voiding the AT&T contract?

Q#3: Is the installation reversible? removable?

Q#4: Is there a new code / updated instructions for iPhone 3G ... the above post is 2007 vintage... ancient history in cyber space.

richardhunt

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
With OS 3.0 this is now the preferred method as tethering is now native to the OS.

http://help.benm.at/help.php

Download the configuration file for your carrier and plug your iphone to your laptop through usb or bluetooth and you are set to go. You need to have itunes 8.2 or later in order for this to work.

Installation is reversible, just remove the profile.

Does not void contract with AT&T (so far), just don't abuse it. If you keep your usage to less than 5GB per month, it shouldn't raise any flags. Lots of people are doing this now and have had no issues.

wildbillwn

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Oklahoma
With OS 3.0 this is now the preferred method as tethering is now native to the OS.

Download the configuration file for your carrier and plug your iphone to your laptop through usb or bluetooth and you are set to go. You need to have itunes 8.2 or later in order for this to work.

Does not void contract with AT&T (so far), just don't abuse it. If you keep your usage to less than 5GB per month, it shouldn't raise any flags. Lots of people are doing this now and have had no issues.

THis may be an ignorant question since I have not used the BenM hack for teathering, but how do I remove the "profile?"

Bill

sjwinter

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2009

This is the way to go. Its by far the easyiest way.

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009

First off. If they can see how much I'm downloading why would ATT allow this backdoor tethering solution at all? Next up. You said iTunes 8.2 or later...was not there an issue with people who had updated from iTunes 8.2 to the newer version who can't get this to work now? I thought i saw that the update wipped out the ability to do this....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.