Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wadget

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Hey

I'm having trouble despite signing into MSN everytime i try it displays the signing in screen for a few minutes and then a message comes up saying That i cannot because i may not be connected to the internet or the service is unavailable.

This has happened before and the problem usually passes when i restart the computer or get a new version of MSN. i've tried both of these this time and they haven't worked. I've also tried connecting via another computer on the network. I've tried to sign in using Adium and Mercury and so far nothing has worked.

Any suggestions on what might be there problem and how to fix it?

Thanks

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I take it you're talking about Microsoft Messenger 6.0.2?

Have you tried deleting the preference file com.microsoft.Messenger.plist

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
I take it you're talking about Microsoft Messenger 6.0.2?

Have you tried deleting the preference file com.microsoft.Messenger.plist

I agree, purge your computer of all traces of MSN. Also, you might try Adium, just to see if it works there just to rule out client problems. Who knows, you might recognize that it's a kick ass IM client and keep it instead. I was also having some MSN troubles earlier, so they could be doing server stuff.

timestoby

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2007
north devon,uk
i had a sim prob on my pc.follow the links in the trouble shoot.i had to enter some command type thingy in the run bit,after that it workt fine.i had msn plus.

Wadget

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
i've tried Adium and Mercury Messenger and the exact same problem occurs

Wadget

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Okay so,

I deleted everything related to MSN off my computer and then i downloaded 6.0.2 again and started it up. It went through the install screen and everything and confirmed that i had no previous versions installed.

Then it started signing but there was no difference, It still claimed it was unavailable

Anymore suggestions?

Thanks

Wadget

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
It likely has something to do with the new restructuring of MSN for *live mail* that they seem to be transitioning through as of recent.

So do you think that once they have all that worked out the problem should resolve itself?

Wadget

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Well.
It's been almost 2 weeks and nothing has changed. I checked the Status site and it said MSN is stable and running.

So I think this might be a problem specific to my computer?

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
Well.
It's been almost 2 weeks and nothing has changed. I checked the Status site and it said MSN is stable and running.

So I think this might be a problem specific to my computer?

Try setting up another MSN account and see if the problem occurs with that too. Can you try logging into the account that's giving you all the bother from another computer? Are you sure the password you're using is correct?

Also, you could try logging onto MSN via their web inface and changing your password there and then try logging into messenger with your new password.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
My advice? Go with aMSN. Delete all traces of Microsoft Messenger. aMSN gives you voice clips, webcams, winks (so?), and infinite nudges. My friends hate me now; I just let loose on the nudge button when I'm bored. :D Oh, and skinning and extra additions can be applied, as well.

Wadget

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Try setting up another MSN account and see if the problem occurs with that too. Can you try logging into the account that's giving you all the bother from another computer? Are you sure the password you're using is correct?

Also, you could try logging onto MSN via their web inface and changing your password there and then try logging into messenger with your new password.

Okay i tried all of those and still got the same result as before and i'm sure my password is correct because i still sign into hotmail.

My advice? Go with aMSN. Delete all traces of Microsoft Messenger. aMSN gives you voice clips, webcams, winks (so?), and infinite nudges.
Yeah I tried that too but it's still the same problem, just like when i tried Adium and Mercury Messenger

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
No idea then. Have you tried turning off all firewalls just to see if that makes any difference? If it doesn't then I honestly don't know. Try getting a new account perhaps....

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Ok, check to see if anyone else can connect to MSN in your house, perhaps wirelessly if possible?

I suspect its a connection issue.

Change the 0.9 to the 0.3 and the IP's, and connect your laptop to this network.

Did it fix it?

Bit of an in-joke with Wadget... he got it working in the the end.

laurelal15

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
hey

hey i just signed up for this mac forum
my mac wont sign into to msn either
i tried deleting the file that was suggested, signing in from another account, reformating the computer, downloading different kinds of msn
its been happening for about the same time as the other buddy but I have an itunes issue too, the radio wont work either?
the day after msn stopped itunes did 2
get back to me if u can help please
oh ya and i checked the firewalls before too
thanks

Laurel

lellie

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
its been doing the same for me
only managed to connect my mac to my uni network today, everyone else in my flat have managed to get their messenger to work whilst being on the network so thers no messenger block within the network.
have tried removing all messenger files and re downloading them but still nothing
it was working fine before i came to uni so dont understand why it's not co-operating for me but is for everyone else!
grr :confused:

lilyyy

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2008
hi
i have this problem too. when i try logging on to msn it says its unavailable or not connected to internet. i am connected to the internet so i dont know why its not working. i tried reinstalling again but that didnt work. neither does adium. any solutions anyone?

macowner

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2010
msn won

actually i have the same problem too...i 've been trying to sign in my messenger through mac bit it doesn't get...i turned the firewall off but nothing changed...could someone help me????pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee

m2f34

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
Me too!

I have serious msn issues (lasting a month now). Also tried setting up an iChat account, but that won't log on either (even with a .mac address).
Can log on hotmail and web messenger, as well as through my old pc (on the same network as the mac).

What to do?

rdalben

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Sign In Problem MSN 7 and 8 beta

Found this on the internet at macexperience . com

If you go over the support page, numerous solutions are listed down. I’ll list down the one’s which worked for me.

MSN Web Messenger worked well as a back-up
Adium X didn’t worked for MSN on my end
Ebuddy worked well but kept on disconnecting
The following is the solution I applied and it has worked out for me.

Remove MSN Messenger from Applications folder
Delete your preferences, then try to setup Messenger and sign-in again
> *All preferences are located in your @YOUR USER@/Library/Preferences/Microsoft folder
> * com.microsoft.Messenger.plist
> * com.microsoft.MessengerDaemon.plist
> * Microsoft Messenger User Cache
> * Microsoft Messenger User Cache.plist
Get hold of latest MSN Messenger from Microsoft site and install it
Don’t select “save your password”
I hope it works out for other people out there too. The support pages I mentioned above were real help, please consult them.

try also to search for files within the name ".messenger" and delete it.

hecumi

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
same issue

I have the same problem with my msn messenger, it all start it yesterday when some of my contacts show block for no reason when i try to unblock them it didnt worked so I found a way online to fix the problem today by deleting a file than after that everything look ok like before, than i start getting the problem of signing in, it said I need to check my internet connection or the sign in has time out, I try to delete all messenger files and reinstall them again but nothing works, I can sign in on my iphone using different app and it works but not on the macbook pro, i can sign in on my yahoo messenger but not msn, skype and ichat also work fine... I did everything you guys suggest already, from deleting to repair in utility disk, i download msn messenger 8.0 beta install at first with webcam ability, i try even downgrading to a older version of msn and nothing... please help

mel17

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
Try this simple solution...it worked for me!

Short Answer: (for the ppl who like things to the point lol).
Click 'Clear Account History' when you sign in.

Long Answer: (for the ppl who want more details!)
Alright so I had the same problem as the person did in 2006 for about a week now.. I tried everything too, but nothing worked. It just kept telling me when I tried to sign in msn, that I wasn't connected to the internet/sevice was unavailable and told me to retry.
But tonight, I finally figured it out & logged onto msn! :)
This is how I did it:
1. Open msn. (obviously lol)
2. Click 'Sign in'. (Again, obvious)
3. Click, 'Clear Account History'. (It's underneath where you type in your password. More specifically, underneath where it says: status).
4. It may ask you a couple things in order to do so. (Just click allow/ok.)
5. That's it!
It worked for me, so hopefully it will work for you! :)
*P.S. if you are worried that by clicking, 'Clear Account History' that you will lose all your information, past conversations, etc.. you won't.. Except, you will lose your msn display pictures.*

willba4

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2010
with mercury messenger, try changing the protocol’s that it is using. as sometimes a couple of the msn protocols will not work

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
Short Answer: (for the ppl who like things to the point lol).
Click 'Clear Account History' when you sign in.

Long Answer: (for the ppl who want more details!)
Alright so I had the same problem as the person did in 2006 for about a week now.. I tried everything too, but nothing worked. It just kept telling me when I tried to sign in msn, that I wasn't connected to the internet/sevice was unavailable and told me to retry.
But tonight, I finally figured it out & logged onto msn! :)
This is how I did it:
1. Open msn. (obviously lol)
2. Click 'Sign in'. (Again, obvious)
3. Click, 'Clear Account History'. (It's underneath where you type in your password. More specifically, underneath where it says: status).
4. It may ask you a couple things in order to do so. (Just click allow/ok.)
5. That's it!
It worked for me, so hopefully it will work for you! :)
*P.S. if you are worried that by clicking, 'Clear Account History' that you will lose all your information, past conversations, etc.. you won't.. Except, you will lose your msn display pictures.*

Thank you, worked :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.