Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cvahl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
Boston
Yesterday, I got my new Nano, which I want to get repaired because the menu-button is not working properly. As fas as I know, the only way to get it started is to call the customer service (I cannot give it back because I have a laser engraving), so I did this.
I called them this morning, the telephone quality was really bad (I guess they outsourced this to India, it sounded like a long distance call), and I talked to 4 different people (it was always talking for a minute, then waiting for some minutes,...), and they all apologized that it was taking so long and said that I would not have to worry and everything would be fine, but more and more I got the feeling that they were waiting for me to hang up at some point because it was not getting any further. Then they tried to sell Apple Care to me, what I did not want, and after 50 min I was kicked out of the line.
I' really frustrated, and I do not want to call them again because it is not working out this way.

Did you ever make similar experiences? Is there a better way (for example per email?
Thanks for your help!

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Do you have an Apple Store nearby? I've always found them to be extremely helpful. Otherwise, keep talking to people until they give you a new iPod or pay for repair (that new, there should be no reason not to replace it, but since it's engraved they do have some weird policies).

jW

pianos101

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2006
Philly Area
wow sorry to hear that! Although i've had my fair share of problems with my MBP, i have NEVER had a customer service issue with apple, whether it be calling applecare or going into the store. I know they have call centers in India, but i've never actually been routed to one; i've only spoken to americans.

as Mal said, try simply calling back during the daytime (central and pacific time) and you'll likely get someone who knows what they're talking about and actually wants to help you. good luck!

cvahl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
Boston
I just tried it again, after 18min in the waiting line with really bad music and "please stay in line, our next free customer service assistant is waiting for your call" I finally heard the normal ringing noise, but none of their assistants answered the phone... Maybe this is a bad day, but I expected a much better service from Apple and I am really disappointed :(

mtnbikerva1

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
You must complain to when you get bad service! CVAHL

Email and call and talk to a manager. Complain about the crappy non U.S. service! When enough people complain we will get our service back.

mtnbikerva1

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
You must complain when you get bad service! CVAHL

Email and call and talk to a manager. Complain about the crappy non U.S. service! When enough people complain we will get our service back.

pianos101

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2006
Philly Area
I just tried it again, after 18min in the waiting line with really bad music and "please stay in line, our next free customer service assistant is waiting for your call" I finally heard the normal ringing noise, but none of their assistants answered the phone... Maybe this is a bad day, but I expected a much better service from Apple and I am really disappointed :(

hmmm i don't know if it's possible for you, but if you can try calling during the middle of the day here... the calls SHOULD be routed to the texas or cali call centers and the people there should be better....

dancho

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
I used to work for an Apple authourised service centre. iPods come with a one year warranty. So as long as its still under that one year you can take it to any of the Apple Authourized service providers with a copy of an invoice and get a replacement without any costs. Your replacement won't have the engraving.

I can recommend that you restore your iPod first to see if that solves the problem. If you problem still persists then you should take it in to a service centre. It's good to show a technician the fault you are encountering because if no fault is found, most Apple authourised service centres tend to charge a no fault found fee.

You can find a list of Apple authourized service providers here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304398

cvahl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
Boston
I can recommend that you restore your iPod first to see if that solves the problem. If you problem still persists then you should take it in to a service centre. It's good to show a technician the fault you are encountering because if no fault is found, most Apple authourised service centres tend to charge a no fault found fee.

Thanks, maybe this is the best way for me. I currently live in Boston, so I'll just go over to them on the weekend and try if they can help me. Do you think it might make if difference if I would go to an Apple store or to a service center?

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Thanks, maybe this is the best way for me. I currently live in Boston, so I'll just go over to them on the weekend and try if they can help me. Do you think it might make if difference if I would go to an Apple store or to a service center?

Go to an Apple Store

GavinTing

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Singapore!

It makes all the difference :)

cvahl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
Boston
I used to work for an Apple authourised service centre. iPods come with a one year warranty. So as long as its still under that one year you can take it to any of the Apple Authourized service providers with a copy of an invoice and get a replacement without any costs. Your replacement won't have the engraving.

I went to the Apple store in Boston today, and the guy did not help me at all. He says that he could not see a problem, and the iPod would be working fine, so he could do nothing for me and I would have to send it back if I should think that there would be a problem because the iPod is engraved...
I have to admit that it is only a small problem, but when I pay 199$ for an mp3-player from Apple I expect a quality product that works as good as those which they show in the store... Otherwise, I would just buy me a 50$ mp3-player at Wal Mart.

Do you think I should try to ask the people at a service center? I fear that if I would send it back, it might take some weeks till I get the replacement.

ag227

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
you could send it back via registering for a repair online ... http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/

i dont know if it is the same for you as it is in the uk, but when i had to get my ipod repaired in total it was gone 3 days and didnt cost me anything.

it really is the best way, just describe the problem and they will more than likely sort it for you.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I went to the Apple store in Boston today, and the guy did not help me at all. He says that he could not see a problem, and the iPod would be working fine, so he could do nothing for me
I guess we know why you had to speak to so many people. Your definition of "problem" does not match theirs.

Could you tell us what you mean by "menu button not working properly"?

cvahl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
Boston
I guess we know why you had to speak to so many people. Your definition of "problem" does not match theirs.

Could you tell us what you mean by "menu button not working properly"?

The person in the Apple store today was actually the first one listening to my problem. When I called the hotline, the problem was that I either reached no one or that the persons I reached did not know how to handle the return of an iPod with an engravement.

My problem is that the feeling when I touch the buttons is not the same. On those iPods that I have seen today in the store, the feeling when you press the menu, play, forward and backward button is always the same. On my iPod, the resistance of the menu button is bigger than the resistance of the other buttons. When I touch it very gentle, I can hear and feel a "click", but it does not respond. When I press it harder, it does respond, but the sound is much louder than those of the other button, and I always have the feeling of plastic rubbing against plastic. I think as it is the first series of the new Nanos, maybe the production process is not as perfected as I probably will be in the first weeks. Normally, I'm not a picky guy, but since I spend so much money, I think as a customer I have the right that my iPod works as fine as those that one can test in their stores...

cvahl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
Boston
I just read again the support information, and they say that:
"Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized products may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless such product is Dead on Arrival (see the section below for more detailed information on such Dead on Arrival products)."
Since my iPod is not 'dead on arrival', but only manufactured in a poor quality, this sounds like I cannot replace it although I'm still in the 14 days after the online purchase time limit. This really sucks... :mad:

ag227

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
it also says in the link that i left before..

"Will my custom laser engraving on my iPod be preserved?
If your original iPod has a personalized engraving by Apple, you will have the option of having the replacement iPod engraved with the same text or replaced by a non-personalized iPod (benefiting from a faster service). If your original iPod was custom laser-engraved by another company, your replacement iPod will not be personalized."

so i think engraving doesnt count as configure to order.

however it does seem that your problem is not that bad so i suggest you just stick with it, with a bit of use the button might free up.

thecritix

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
West London, England
I just read again the support information, and they say that:
"Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized products may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless such product is Dead on Arrival (see the section below for more detailed information on such Dead on Arrival products)."
Since my iPod is not 'dead on arrival', but only manufactured in a poor quality, this sounds like I cannot replace it although I'm still in the 14 days after the online purchase time limit. This really sucks... :mad:

claim it was a present and only just opened and DOA.

sounds like the call centre won't even have bothered to enter down onto the system.. :rolleyes:

dancho

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
it also says in the link that i left before..

"Will my custom laser engraving on my iPod be preserved?
If your original iPod has a personalized engraving by Apple, you will have the option of having the replacement iPod engraved with the same text or replaced by a non-personalized iPod (benefiting from a faster service). If your original iPod was custom laser-engraved by another company, your replacement iPod will not be personalized."

so i think engraving doesnt count as configure to order.

however it does seem that your problem is not that bad so i suggest you just stick with it, with a bit of use the button might free up.

Yea, I'm with you on this one too. I personally don't think that the iPod is broken, I had the same problem with my first Nano, didn't really bother me that much.

xiao duo

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
iPod Service Centre

I browsed the website that you have provided but it gives no information on the exact location of any iPod service centre. Did I get it wrong? Or has they changed the website?

dancho

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
I browsed the website that you have provided but it gives no information on the exact location of any iPod service centre. Did I get it wrong? Or has they changed the website?

The actual webpage only gives links to countries, you have to select what country you live in then it will come up with another page and then you have to click another link (depending on which country you selected) then it will list of service centres in that particular country.

I was able to pull up a webpage with a list of all the Apple Authourised Service Centres in New Zealand.

jbbobby

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Yesterday, I got my new Nano, which I want to get repaired because the menu-button is not working properly. As fas as I know, the only way to get it started is to call the customer service (I cannot give it back because I have a laser engraving), so I did this.
I called them this morning, the telephone quality was really bad (I guess they outsourced this to India, it sounded like a long distance call), and I talked to 4 different people (it was always talking for a minute, then waiting for some minutes,...), and they all apologized that it was taking so long and said that I would not have to worry and everything would be fine, but more and more I got the feeling that they were waiting for me to hang up at some point because it was not getting any further. Then they tried to sell Apple Care to me, what I did not want, and after 50 min I was kicked out of the line.
I' really frustrated, and I do not want to call them again because it is not working out this way.

Did you ever make similar experiences? Is there a better way (for example per email?
Thanks for your help!

Yess...I am yet another poor customer who has screwed royally by Apple India Customer service support.
Bought an iPhone 4s on 31st march after saving real good money (accordingly to me) for 3 months with all excitement and fun. used the phone for abt 8 moths now. And accidently dropped it down three weeks ago and got itslef a small dent in the left corner edge of the phone.
I reported to app customer team and they asked me to connect with app store chennai..and i did the same. And then they contacted the apple team and got back and said the physical damages can’t be covered in warranty..
the worst thing is i was directed by apple team if the damage is less than 4mm that can still be covered under warranty...and then only i contacted the app store...
after i got disappointed from them that they cant do this...i got my phone back...

after 2 weeks exactly after i got my phone...another problem starts...that was my phone got heated up unusually..
I was agan directed to do three internal processes and the guided to go to app store for verification..
they did the verification and initiated the dialogue with apple team for the same...

U know wat happend?!!! they immediately combined both my issue (both case id's) and said ...it is only becuase of the physical damages...due to which the hardware is heating up...agan this cant cover this as part of warranty....
and the worst part is my warranty has become void now....even before i actual have about 145 days of warranty pending.....
with all frustration i called up the team and got disappointed of some reply’s saying that they can’t do anything about it...
Now what I got to with my phone? What is the solution for the heating up problem?
SHOULD I HAVE THIS PHONE OR THROOW THIS?
Yess definitely there is lot of difference in handling the US customers and in India
For Indians like me buying a phone for 50k is really a big deal!!
I doono if they are going to…but I am not going to stop fighting for something what I demand!!!
Let me see what I can do about it as an individual…I will keep doing it….
It is a major threat to all of us who are buying apple products by spending much…with no proper support and after sale services!!

Now You know wat....I dont even want to reach out to customer support as i complteley know thier tricks and the ability of servicing their customers...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.