Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Drove by the Regent Street store tonight to see the shop shrouded inside by huge black curtains. It turns out that the store will be closed until Tuesday at 4pm due to the press event on Tuesday morning.

Given what is going on as seen in these pics, I think that the iPhone will be in stock and for sale on Tuesday at 4. We'll see.

1393782868_85166dd603.jpg

1392888903_9ab0809b1e.jpg

1392888581_a99a91a9fe.jpg

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
wooo. This is exciting now. Its funny how the sign only says the store will be closed tuesday, but doesnt mention the monday. Does this mean that the store will be open monday, or closed from now until 4pm tuesday? I cant wait!!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Private event? I just wonder who's getting some sneak previews and some private shopping time... not me, that's for sure. :p

Glad to see they've got the flag up; it wasn't there on Thursday. And for the first time, from across the road, I noticed the mosaics above the first floor windows. Rather lovely.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Wow, I don't even live in the UK and this is really exciting. Can't wait to find out what happens on Tuesday!

rtharper

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Oxford, UK
I am SO excited. It seems like they're going to a lot of trouble for this event. Hopefully it's because they're not just debuting the same old iPhone, but one with 3G!!!!!

I can dream, right? =p

Applespider

macrumors G4
Interesting... and surely it has to be a more or less immediate launch with all this shrouded in secrecy.

Fingers crossed... my upgrade from O2 is available from Tuesday :D

And yes, the mosaics are rather good. This from ifoapplestore on them

The distinctive mosaics along the second-floor level of the building were installed to advertise an early tenant, Dr. Antonio Salviati, who designed and manufactured mosaics. He was one of the principals responsible for the rebirth of Venetian glass after its nadir under the Austrian rule of Venice, and had British partners and a London shop. Amongst his better known works was the restoration of the mosaics in the Basilica San Marco in Venice, and the mosaics on the Albert Memorial in Hyde Park, London. Salviati also worked on some of the mosaics for St. Paul's Cathedral, London. In the world of vitreous mosaics he is one of the key players, and so the mosaics on Regent House are both nationally and internationally significant.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
My guess is there will be demo units available after the Keynote but i HIGHLY doubt it'll actually be in stores/ship immediately after the event....sometime in Oct/Nov maybe.

rtharper

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Oxford, UK
My guess is there will be demo units available after the Keynote but i HIGHLY doubt it'll actually be in stores/ship immediately after the event....sometime in Oct/Nov maybe.

I agree. Although I'm hoping that that is because they're hoping to release an updated model. Anyone think we'll ever see an unlocked version of the iPhone in Europe? I mean, after all, I'm willing to be locked into a contract anyway, I just want to be able to change SIM cards when going abroad...

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I agree. Although I'm hoping that that is because they're hoping to release an updated model. Anyone think we'll ever see an unlocked version of the iPhone in Europe? I mean, after all, I'm willing to be locked into a contract anyway, I just want to be able to change SIM cards when going abroad...

Unlikely but hopefully the iPhoneDevTeam will work their magic again. Its not looking good though especially with rumors that the iPod touch is proving very difficult to get into (Jailbreak). Still, one can hope.

MiLK©

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
This is very dramatic and exciting.

I think we can most definitely assume without any doubt that Tuesday is iPhone related. The question that remains is announcement or launch?

I really really want it to be the launch, but logic says its just an anouncement. Then again I'm a natural pessimist :p

Please prove me wrong Apple!

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Whatever is up, if they are staying closed until 4pm after a 10am press event, it is going to be something very exciting. Apple won't sacrifice 6 hours of business at the flagship store without very good reason.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm just hoping and praying that 'IF' it is the iPhone announcement, that Apple doesn't forget us ROI customers.

After all we have the European HQ, but no Apple Stores here. I'm just hoping we at least get the iPhone at the same time as the UK.

rtharper

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Oxford, UK
I'm just hoping and praying that 'IF' it is the iPhone announcement, that Apple doesn't forget us ROI customers.

After all we have the European HQ, but no Apple Stores here. I'm just hoping we at least get the iPhone at the same time as the UK.

My guess, given all the hubbub, will be that if ya'll don't get it at the same time as the UK, there will at least be some sort of timetable for when you WILL get it. As the country with the highest income per capita in the world, you have money to spend and I'm sure Apple will have no problems taking it from you.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Is it really closed until Tuesday afternoon or closed on Tuesday

I don't see how they are going to open it tomorrow and keep whatever is going on in there a secret. This was not work on the theatre area. This was masking things going on on the main floor.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Hopefully we will start getting some substantial rumours about tomorrow's offerings through our favourite sites today.

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex, UK
No one thinking maybe something more than just the iphone is being announced? upgraded version of iphone? mac tablet? new mighty mouse? mac pros? who knows. i dont think theyve ever held an event like this before. i guess its posible they are trying to create a bit of a media frenzy in the uk like the did in the states. meh. im 18 on october ninth so aslong as i have something to spend my birthday money on then im happy :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.