Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toxicbomber

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
First off, you guys who have the iPod Touch aren't getting a premium product therefore you won't get all the great features the iPhone has to offer. Ok now let me explain to you why the screen has a "negative" effect. Remember that the iPods aren't made by Apple but rather in countries in China around that area. Some displays are better than others and some are worse than others. This ALL has to do due to the fact that these iPods are using a lower contrast ratio. You just might be lucky and get a good screen with a higher ratio. Don't blame Apple for this. You are getting a low ranged product so you get what you pay for.

~toxicbomber

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Yeah, but that doesn't explain why I have negative black and about 10 stuck pixels (3 of em grouped right next to eachother)

toxicbomber

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Yeah, but that doesn't explain why I have negative black and about 10 stuck pixels (3 of em grouped right next to eachother)

You have a malfunctioned display. No matter what factory, 1 out of 25 electronics sold will have some sort of problem with them.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Just because it doesn't cost as much as the iPhone DOES NOT mean that it should have problems. If Apple is selling a problematic product, it is their responsibility to fix it, no matter how much the consumer paid for it.

toxicbomber

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Just because it doesn't cost as much as the iPhone DOES NOT mean that it should have problems. If Apple is selling a problematic product, it is their responsibility to fix it, no matter how much the consumer paid for it.

And besides it really isn't a problem. The iPods will stay like this as far as I can tell. You don't have a premium product therefore you won't get the best features.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
WTF? The most expensive ipod available isn't a premium product?

I'm sorry.. it's more expensive than every other mp3 player out there. It'd better damned well be premium. That's the whole point of buying apple - that you get something that works well out of the box.

Those with the fault have unacceptable displays and are perfectly entitled to be annoyed.. and are also entitled to get it fixed.

toxicbomber

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Having a properly working screen is not a premium feature. It's what you pay for...

Look, it won't be a top notch display. I'm sorry. It won't be. You want a higher quality and higher contrast ratio on your iPod touch? Get the iPhone. Simple. :p

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Look, it won't be a top notch display. I'm sorry. It won't be. You want a higher quality and higher contrast ratio on your iPod touch? Get the iPhone.
Why bring the iPhone into this? They are two completely different products. This is like saying that Apple shouldn't put decent hardware in the iMacs because a Mac Pro costs more.

toxicbomber

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Ok let me rephrase this into a little nicer form of speaking. I apologize for my rude like behavior. The iPod Touches out today are most likely going to have the "negative" effect. A few aren't that are much like the iPhone's display. The negative effect is due to the lower contrast ratio on the iPod Touch than the iPhone's ratio. In some odd way, this IS an error in the manufacture's part and not Apple's. This is not so much as a problem as a little mistake. It should be fixed shortly, but if you don't like your iPod Touch, simply take it back... of course it depends on the condition of the screen. Oh and by the way, they use different screens for every so iPods. That's the exact reason why you are experiencing this for now.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Lower contrast ratio would result in poorer blacks/whites not what people have been seeing - have you looked at the youtube videos, posted pictures etc? Their itouch screens look absolutely unwatchable. It's *not* simply a contrast issue.

toxicbomber

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Lower contrast ratio would result in poorer blacks/whites not what people have been seeing - have you looked at the youtube videos, posted pictures etc? Their itouch screens look absolutely unwatchable. It's *not* simply a contrast issue.

I've got this from a guy who works at regent street's store. :p

thegrue

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
Look, it won't be a top notch display. I'm sorry. It won't be. You want a higher quality and higher contrast ratio on your iPod touch? Get the iPhone. Simple. :p

Yeah, screw the SIX POINT THREE BILLION people who don't live in the only country where the iPhone is for sale. For that matter, screw anyone who doesn't want to use a third-world data network like EDGE! :rolleyes:

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about

********. It's called a manufacturing defect, nothing more.

The issues being encountered have nothing to do with the screen's contrast ratio, and your argument holds no weight whatsoever. Care to explain why the lowly $150 Nano has a better screen than the touch, then?

I've got this from a guy who works at regent street's store. :p

Yes, and a guy at the 5th Avenue Store tried to pass off the horrible viewing angles as a 'privacy filter'.

Just because some yahoo at an Apple Store pulls something out of his ass doesn't make it true.

Freakin' trolls.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
First off, you guys who have the iPod Touch aren't getting a premium product therefore you won't get all the great features the iPhone has to offer. Ok now let me explain to you why the screen has a "negative" effect. Remember that the iPods aren't made by Apple but rather in countries in China around that area. Some displays are better than others and some are worse than others. This ALL has to do due to the fact that these iPods are using a lower contrast ratio. You just might be lucky and get a good screen with a higher ratio. Don't blame Apple for this. You are getting a low ranged product so you get what you pay for.

I paid 399 for my touch.

how much is an iphone again?

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
"Privacy Filter" Believe it or not they have a screen protector available for the PSP that purposely darkens the screen so others can't see what you are watching/playing... WTF! Ok, so why do I have to view it from outside that "privacy filter" in order to see my blacks correctly?

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
(See bold sections below)
What kind of kool aide are you on, brother?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
You want a higher quality and higher contrast ratio on your iPod touch? Get the iPhone. Simple. :p

I just spent some time playing with the Touch in the store. The first thing I noticed is how vibrant and contrasty the screen looked. (The sample I played with did not display the negative effect.) Then I pulled out my iPhone to compare it to and maxed the brightness on both. By comparison, my iPhone, which I've always considered to have a decent screen, was considerably more washed out. About a full stop overexposed in photo terms. The Touch's colors were a lot more punchy and saturated, the blacks blacker.

Of course this meant there was some missing shadow detail in dark details, but I'd hardly say it was inferior to the iPhone. As a photographer who shot Fuji Velvia exclusively for years, I found the Touch screen much nicer to look at.

iShak

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Ok let me rephrase this into a little nicer form of speaking. I apologize for my rude like behavior. The iPod Touches out today are most likely going to have the "negative" effect. A few aren't that are much like the iPhone's display. The negative effect is due to the lower contrast ratio on the iPod Touch than the iPhone's ratio. In some odd way, this IS an error in the manufacture's part and not Apple's. This is not so much as a problem as a little mistake. It should be fixed shortly, but if you don't like your iPod Touch, simply take it back... of course it depends on the condition of the screen. Oh and by the way, they use different screens for every so iPods. That's the exact reason why you are experiencing this for now.

I am sorry, but you are way off on this one, the main cause of the problem is not contrast ratio.

Also it is ridiculous to say that you are paying £200 so you deserve a bad display ... companies have quality controls even over freebies, so please, if you are to defend Apple over this fiasco be a little more sensible.

toxicbomber

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
I am sorry, but you are way off on this one, the main cause of the problem is not contrast ratio.

Also it is ridiculous to say that you are paying £200 so you deserve a bad display ... companies have quality controls even over freebies, so please, if you are to defend Apple over this fiasco be a little more sensible.

....it IS the lower contrast ratio. :p

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Good god, just as I thought the rabid fanboys on this site couldn't get any worse, they do. I mean, I'm a fan of Apple's products myself, but come on, this is getting ridiculous...

Yes! Let's all return our iPod Touches and go buy iPhones! In your dreams pal :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.