Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhonePlaya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
so the first month and a half i had my iphone it connected to my linksys wireless router seemlessly now it recognizes the connection and connects but doesnt load anything i really wish i could get it to work again

my imac works fine on the wireless network why wont the iphone and so do my other pc's wired connections

i have 2 computers wired, xbox 360 wired, imac wirelessl is my router too full?

iPhonePlaya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
yes it does both should i just ask someone at an apple store whats up with it?.

when it tries to load something it says it cant open because it cant find the server

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Try restarting your router also renew lease on the iphone after it connects to your network.
Can you connect to other wifi? Does it only give you this prob at home?

upenox

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2005
Have you hacked the phone? If so, use ping and traceroute to see how far (if anywhere) you can get.

Are you sure you haven't accidentally setup this network with static dns servers that aren't correct? Try pointing Safari to "209.85.165.103" and see if it gets you anywhere.

ScottDrummer

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Canada
yep went to 209.85.165.103 and i get nothing in safari,wheras i get get google using the friendly name.
im connecting to net via internet connection sharing on my mbp, ive reinstalled tiger, and it works fine using internet connection sharing on a powerbook, any ideas?

upenox

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2005
So your MBP can connect to the AP fine, and via ICS, your iPhone can connect to the MBP (acting as an AP)?

PupnTaco

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
I've had a similar problem with the crappy Actiontec router Verizon mandates for FiOS use - here's my fix.

First, confirm the iPhone is getting a local IP (like 192.168.1.7) from the router.

On a networked computer, go to the router's control panel at 192.168.1.1 and get to the page where it lists all the connected devices. Find the iPhone by its IP and rename the device.

It instantly gets on the network. Go figure.

This worked with both iPhones we own and the Nintendo Wii.

ScottDrummer

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Canada
Ok, This is my config

ethernet (internet) into ethernet port on MBP, internet connection sharing this to devices over wifi.
i can see and connect to the mbp over wifi, password accepted etc... but i get no connectivity on iphone from apps(weather, youtube etc...), however I can use safari ok.
in my network settings for ethernet, i have the route ip address, my ip address(mbp)
in the settings for wifi - TCP/IP i dont have an ip address, basically everything is blank.
as a test a powerbook can connect to over ICS to this mbp in the same way, mail, safari work ok.
and when that powerbook takes the ethernet cable and shares this over wifi, the iphone can connect and has data using this, just not going through my mbp.
It has been working, ive unlocked the iphone via this method. then a day later it fails, ive even reinstaled tiger.
Thanks for your help

here are some dumps

Automatic:

Active Location: Yes
Services:
AirPort:
Type: IEEE80211
BSD Device Name: en1
Hardware (MAC) Address: 00:2f:62:c1:a4:2f (fictional)
IPv4:
Configuration Method: DHCP
IPv6:
Configuration Method: Automatic
AppleTalk:
Configuration Method: Node
Proxies:
Proxy Configuration Method: 2
ExcludeSimpleHostnames: 0
FTP Passive Mode: 1
Auto Discovery Enabled: 0
IEEE80211:
AllowNetCreation: 1
JoinMode: Automatic
MAC Address: 00:2b:33:c4:b2:7b
Built-in Ethernet:
Type: Ethernet
BSD Device Name: en0
Hardware (MAC) Address: 00:1b:63:44:db:a1
IPv4:
IPv6:
AppleTalk:
Proxies:
FTP Proxy Enabled: 0
FTP Passive Mode: 1
Gopher Proxy Enabled: 0
HTTP Proxy Enabled: 0
HTTPS Proxy Enabled: 0
RTSP Proxy Enabled: 0
SOCKS Proxy Enabled: 0

AirPort:

Type: AirPort
Hardware: AirPort
BSD Device Name: en1
IPv4:
IPv6:
AppleTalk:
Proxies:
Proxy Configuration Method: Manual
ExcludeSimpleHostnames: 0
FTP Passive Mode: Yes
Auto Discovery Enabled: No
Ethernet:
MAC Address: 00:1b:63:c4:a2:2b
Media Options:
Media Subtype: autoselect

Built-in Ethernet:

Type: Ethernet
Hardware: Ethernet
BSD Device Name: en0
IPv4 Addresses: 192.168.2.25
IPv4:
Addresses: 192.168.2.25
Interface Name: en0
Router: 192.168.2.1
Subnet Masks: 255.255.255.0
IPv6:
DNS:
Server Addresses: 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server Responses:
Domain Name: 0x00
Domain Name Servers: 192.168.2.1
Lease Duration (seconds): 0
DHCP Message Type: 0x05
Option Overload: 0x03
Routers: 192.168.2.1
Server Identifier: 192.168.2.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Proxies:
FTP Proxy Enabled: No
FTP Passive Mode: Yes
Gopher Proxy Enabled: No
HTTP Proxy Enabled: No
HTTPS Proxy Enabled: No
RTSP Proxy Enabled: No
SOCKS Proxy Enabled: No
Ethernet:
MAC Address: 00:1b:63:94:fb:a1
Media Options: Full Duplex, flow-control
Media Subtype: 100baseTX

ScottDrummer

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Canada
ok kinda got it working,
if i stop ICS and start it again it works but not for long

i get
Sep 20 22:41:21 scott-barrows-computer mDNSResponder: NAT Port Mapping (LLQ event port.): timeout
Sep 20 22:41:23 scott-barrows-computer mDNSResponder: Repeated transitions for interface en1 (10.0.2.1); delaying packets by 5 seconds
in console

anyone?

liam-producer

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
i just bought an unlocked iphone, and im trying to connect to my home wireless network, but when i enter the password for it it jus says its failed to join it, (my router is a belkin 54g) sum1 help me please:confused:

rkenyon

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
i just bought an unlocked iphone, and im trying to connect to my home wireless network, but when i enter the password for it it jus says its failed to join it, (my router is a belkin 54g) sum1 help me please:confused:

Make sure the password is correct - it's case sensitive. That caught me out when I first got my iPhone.

TrevorMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
Manhattan Beach
IPhone and FIOS

I just bought my 3G Iphone Dec 24th 2008. It works great... except at home. I have Verizon FIOS. My laptop works fine, my wife's computer works fine wirelessly. Only our Iphones don't. At MacWorld Verizon had a booth and I brought it up, then more people came into the conversation, everybody was having problems. WEB, Hex, all sorts of things were talked about, until someone mentioned Actiontec Modems. Most said they could not get on, if they had the Actiontec MI424WR. There are four different boxes Verizon may have given you. My parents got them to replace their Actiontec MI424WR, with a Verizon MI424WR, my phone works great at their house. I just spent 45min talking to Verizon tech support, first they insist, this is the first they have every herd of this. (just do a google search of 'iphone FIOS', note how many pages are talking about the same thing), Second, they said they WOULD NOT change my router, just so I could use my Iphone. :mad: I'm now switching to Cable... and saving $55 a month. (All for one stupid modem).
Look at this page to see what Modem you might have.
http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/Networking/Setup/QuestionsOne/85865.htm
Depending on when you purchased your FiOS service, you may have a Verizon 9100EM, Verizon MI424WR, Actiontec MI424WR, or D-Link DI-624 router. Use the graphics below to select the type of hardware you're using.

The one on the lower right is the bad one, they will replace it with the one above it. (same model number, but instead of Actiontec, it's Verizon). I would assume the D-Link and the 9100EM would work fine too.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
IPhone and FIOS

I am on FIOS but I switch my Router to Linksys because I prefer Linksys. When I was on the ActionTec (it has been a while) I don't remember having any problems. To switch routers you just have to call Verizon and tell them you have a new router and can they issue a reset. Of course you would have to buy your own router. Switch in my case is the same with Cable.

You said that you are saving $55 per month. That has to be because you are changing at least internet and tv and maybe phone as well, right?

In my case I only have Verizon for FIOS Internet and Phone. In my case the internet is $5 more then cable but the upload and download speeds are much faster. I could saved money over cable but would have to settle for a slower FIOS speed. In any case I think the speeds of both cable and fios are close enoght since you are really talking about the speed of the server you are talking too. I really only notice a difference when doing some large downloads from microsoft and others.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
My 3.0 iTouch worked fine with my Actiontec. The 3GS, good speed test, lousy performance. I never tried the 'rename' fix, but got an Airport (AEBS) and everything works great (Mac and Windows and iPhone).

No idea what changed in the 3GS wifi to break this, but could have been a stricter implementation that can't talk perfectly to the Actiontec (packet length? who knows).

d3ny

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2009
Iphone wont connect to wifi network

My iphone simply stop to connect via wifi in anywhere i go. My brother has one and is working fine, nothing were changed in my router. Simply stop to work.
Does someone has a solution? Ths

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.