Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadedknight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
In my school, I can find wireless networks and almost connect to them but when I open up my browser I cannot render any pages. I searched Google for some options to boost my connection but all products where $200+ Is there any cheaper solution?

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Not really. And if your Macbook can't find a signal, you won't find a laptop that will be able to. In my experience, the Macbooks have the best WiFi reception of any notebook I've ever seen.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
In my school, I can find wireless networks and almost connect to them but when I open up my browser I cannot render any pages. I searched Google for some options to boost my connection but all products where $200+ Is there any cheaper solution?

Do you have this problem elsewhere? Maybe your school network is choppy so you cant get connected to it instantly.
From what I've seen the Macbook's have a very good wifi reception.

jadedknight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
The networks are not actually part of my school, I think they are from the houses across from my school. I have seen some usb boosters but they are very expensive.

And to clarify I can connect but nothing will load.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
The Best WiFi Around!

I've sat in my car that's @30' from my house and been able to utilize my DSL with a very strong signal. While at both school campuses that I attend, I've always been able to get an extremely strong signal anywhere on campus, as well as in the parking lots adjacent to the campuses. That is totally opposite from my PC with a wireless card! Connection is much faster with my MacBook as well.

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
I have a MBP and it has poo poo wireless reception.
same here. I was sitting in a classroom behind a girl with a MacBook, and she had almost full wireless reception, where I had like 2 bars. We also have to connect thru a VPN and my connection was so weak that I kept having to reconnect to it. :mad:

nick123

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
same here. I was sitting in a classroom behind a girl with a MacBook, and she had almost full wireless reception, where I had like 2 bars. We also have to connect thru a VPN and my connection was so weak that I kept having to reconnect to it. :mad:

My MBP has the same problem too. Do you go to UNLV?

Retired
May 16, 2006
The networks are not actually part of my school, I think they are from the houses across from my school. I have seen some usb boosters but they are very expensive.

And to clarify I can connect but nothing will load.

That is not legal, you should not be asking here as it is against forum rules...

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia

That's because it's encased in Aluminium. I hated how bad the signal was in my PowerBook, but this MacBook is so much better... and I'm only sitting 2 feet from my Airport right now :p

If you can connect but not load anything perhaps they are on to you and have disabled the internet to your machine or something, while still allowing you to connect.

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude

The MBP does not have terrible reception, I get a much stronger signal with my MBP than my previous piece-of-junk acer aspire 3003LCi with its replaced from a junk Broadcom with an Intel 2200BG.

That is not legal, you should not be asking here as it is against forum rules...

I woudn't say its illegal, its more of a gray subject, because I have done that simalry when I do not have a network connection, though it was just for browsing, nothing shady of the sort......

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina

If they wanted their connection to be inaccessible to outsiders all they would have to do is lock it with a password. It's not that hard lol. With my linksys router you have to actually go through more steps to make it an unprotected connection.

In my neighborhood I can find 20+ wireless connections, and they ALL are locked with a password...

Now if he was asking how to decrypt the password and "break in" to their wifi then yes ... that would be illegal in my eyes.

Quiara

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
While not necessarily "illegal" in the strictest sense, it's definitely unethical and in poor taste. It's freeloading. He didn't pay for the wireless. Not everyone understands how to lock their network, either, so an open network doesn't necessarily mean "Hey! Feel free to use my connection!"

amd4me

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2006
The MBP does not have terrible reception, I get a much stronger signal with my MBP than my previous piece-of-junk acer aspire 3003LCi with its replaced from a junk Broadcom with an Intel 2200BG.

The MBP wireless isnt that bad but in comparison to the MB and desktop wireless cards it is terrible.

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
The MBP wireless isnt that bad but in comparison to the MB and desktop wireless cards it is terrible.
It's all relative, of course. I've seen people in class with full strength on the wireless network. Then there's me, sitting next to them, struggling to load a page with one bar. :D

I usually just give up and tether to my phone with 3G and then I'm faster.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ

GreyMatta

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2007
England
If they wanted their connection to be inaccessible to outsiders all they would have to do is lock it with a password. It's not that hard lol. With my linksys router you have to actually go through more steps to make it an unprotected connection.

In my neighborhood I can find 20+ wireless connections, and they ALL are locked with a password...

Now if he was asking how to decrypt the password and "break in" to their wifi then yes ... that would be illegal in my eyes.

so if you forget to lock your front door I can help myself to what is inside your house :rolleyes:

same thing really

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2005
my sisters toshiba pc laptop with vista kicks the crap out of my black macbook in terms of wireless reception. She can pick up signals almost twice as far as mine. Of course she has a wifi draft N chipset while mine is G(core duo).

ripplet

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
so if you forget to lock your front door I can help myself to what is inside your house :rolleyes:

same thing really

Erm... I don't think it's the same?

They didn't FORGET to put the password encryption on their wireless, they just didn't put it. there's a HUGE difference.

But hey, if you wana compare, then 'if i forget to lock my front door, you can help yourself to USE the bathroom or the sink'.

What people do when they connect to other's wireless is using it as a TOOL rather than "burglarising" the wireless network.

Just my 2cents.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I dont know why more people dont leave their wifi open? I have a 6Mb DSL connection that i leave open all the time when im not home, about 10 hours a day. I figure, im paying for it, its a shame if its not being used.

Now when i'm home thats different.

dont be stingy.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
I dont know why more people dont leave their wifi open? I have a 6Mb DSL connection that i leave open all the time when im not home, about 10 hours a day. I figure, im paying for it, its a shame if its not being used.

Now when i'm home thats different.

dont be stingy.

Thanks for this post! It never even occurred to me to make it open while I'm not home. :) I wanted to share it, but I didn't want it to hinder my performance. I'll definitely be doing this from now on!

ldrhawke

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2006
"I wanted to boost a weak signal from my Airport Extreme signal to my MacPro. QuickerTek advertises and sells booster antennas for both, which they promise a significant improvement in performance. I purchased directly from Quickertek, on the internet, antennas for both the MacPro and Airport.

After installing the antenna in the MacPro I experienced poorer performance than the original Apple WiFi card. I called them to reviewed the problem, for which they had no answer to solve the problem. I then requested a refund and return authorization since the product did not work. They said just to return the antennas. I returned both for what I thought would be a refund.

I just received a letter for credit which can only buy other products they make, in which they state they will not refund the money that I have paid. It is not clearly noted anywhere on their web site that they do not refund, it is only on the back of the receipt for payment they send, after you have made a purchase. It states they will only give you a credit to purchase other of their products and that even has to be used within 30 days, or they keep your money. Since I have no need for any of their other products, I obviously have just been taken by QuickerTek for hundreds of dollars.

They advertise their products are guaranteed. The only thing your guaranteed from QuickerTek is they will not give you your money back when their product fails to perform. This is a fraudulent and dishonest practice, and the same as stealing.

I cannot recommend anyone doing business with QuickerTek or the quality of their products."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.