Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I've had to recharge my iPhone every night since I got it, so I was wondering how often everyone else has to recharge their iPhone batteries?

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
I've had to recharge my iPhone every night since I got it, so I was wondering how often everyone else has to recharge their iPhone batteries?

Every other day or so. The better measure is the usage numbers in settings-->usage.

I find that i tend to use between 5-6 hours of use before I need to recharge. For me, thats about a day and a half to two days, depending on how much texting I do, whether I surf the web a lot, reply to a lot of emails, etc.

Are you concerned your battery life is deficient?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
every night i put it on the dock on the nightstand. have it set to wake me up at certain times on certain days for class, its a great alarm. often when i go to bed i browse youtube and after a little while the 20% and the 10% remaining warning pops up. had it die a few times, which was enough to tell me i need to go to sleep already!! its amazing though how big and bright that screen is, yet the battery lasts all day. never used my old phone's screen that much and if i used the camera for more then 5 minutes it would die. i could never go back. i found myself looking for a contact on my friend's razr the other day and kept trying to flick at the screen!

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Every other day or so. The better measure is the usage numbers in settings-->usage.

I find that i tend to use between 5-6 hours of use before I need to recharge. For me, thats about a day and a half to two days, depending on how much texting I do, whether I surf the web a lot, reply to a lot of emails, etc.

Are you concerned your battery life is deficient?

No I think my battery is just fine. I seem to be getting around 8 hours of usage. Most of that is listening to music. Probably about 2 hours of that is internet usage, mostly over Edge.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I charge mine every day, but that's just because I like it to sync and get the latest songs/videos/podcasts in my iTunes library. If I didn't do that then I could probably get away with charging it every two or three days depending on how much I use it.

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA

I use it heavy and charge it EVERY night. It is typically 90+% dead.
About 2x per week I need to give it some charge mid-late afternoon if I've been on the phone a lot with clients that day.

Gonzlobo

Suspended
May 9, 2007
Albuquerque
Need? Every 2 days.

I actually charge it all night until I sync my netcasts in the morning. When I go to bed, it always has 70-75% remaining.

jt2ga65

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
It really depends. Usually I would only HAVE to charge it every two to three nights, but sometimes it may be too close to having a dead battery before the second night. It really seems to depend on not only how much I use it, but the type of use and the types of signals that the phone has to put up with.

Has anyone ever had the phone on the charger all night only to find that it only charged the phone to 50%?

-jt2

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I listen to music and podcasts for 6-8 hours a day and do some light surfing on Edge at work and WiFi at home, and the battery never goes below 50%. I sync it every evening and charge it up then but I could go 2-3 days without charging.

But I turn WiFi off when I'm not at home.

iHerzeleid

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
so im guessing

"Audio playback: Up to 24 hours"

doesnt apply.. because im not getting that lol.

servognome

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2005
Every couple of days. I use it heavily watching videos and listening to music while I travel. Probably turning off wi-fi saved a lot in terms of battery life.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
not meaning to hijack this thread, but is the mains charger the same as an iPod mains charger? ie, usb cable from ipod to power brick plugged into wall socket..

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I just got mine so the times may be off, but I charged mine Monday night and the next night it was below 50% with very little use. I charged it again last night (overnight) and will see how it does. I assume that disabling wifi would have a big effect - anybody know how much? I guess once a day is OK for what it does, but I'm used to going days or even a week or more between charges; this will take some getting used to.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state

Any idea on how to get the usage numbers to reset?

If you're trying to get the time since last charge usage to reset, it should reset after each FULL charge. If it's not, make sure you have the proper up to date firmware then call Apple.

If you are referring to voice/data statistics, there's a "reset statistics" option at the bottom of that screen.

Also note if you perform a reset (Home key+Power button until the apple appears) it will wipe your time since last charge usage out until you fully charge again.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
i typically charge mine every other day. however, there are times when i need to charge it every night if i'm using it quite a bit (especially while travelling. the iphone is the best thing EVER to shorten long trips in the car!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.