Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KMITB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I'm sure all of you with the classic have noticed the screensaver after a minute of not touching the pod while playing a song....is there a reason why we need this? And why can't that be shut off? One of the reasons to have the pod is to "see" your music. I like to know what is playing as I have a ton of stuff and will occasionally forget the title and/or artist. The next firmware update has to address this. There should be an on/off menu option for this feature. I'm not diggin' it at all. All the info the screensaver has on it is there when I play a song anyway. Is this supposed to lengthen the battery life and / or save the screen?

Thoughts anyone?

KMITB

logicalnoise

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
meh I just lightly tap the the clickwheel and it switches right back. i usually have to pick it up to look at it anyways.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Thoughts anyone?

I agree 100%. I wish there was a toggle in the settings menu to enable/disable this 'feature'. Turn the backlight off to save power, yes... but changing the screen to something different entirely, forcing a button press or click wheel scroll to return to the original screen is just unnecessary. Great if you like it, pain in the behind if you don't...

I would like to see this updated with new firmware, it's not hard to give people the choice.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I wouldn't mind to see the toggle option in the set up also I hope they change Coverflow as well. I kind of don't mind the new screensaver when I'm running playlists.

But Apple really needs to arrange by Album not Artist in Coverflow, IMO I think Coverflow is laggy because it is organising by Artist when it should be by Album. I have more Artists than Albums so Coverflow is bloated more when it would be using way less resourcesif it was arrange by the Album.

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
I wouldn't mind to see the toggle option in the set up also I hope they change Coverflow as well. I kind of don't mind the new screensaver when I'm running playlists.

But Apple really needs to arrange by Album not Artist in Coverflow, IMO I think Coverflow is laggy because it is organising by Artist when it should be by Album. I have more Artists than Albums so Coverflow is bloated more when it would be using way less resourcesif it was arrange by the Album.

And I'm the exact opposite of you. I have more albums than artists, and I like coverflow just how it is.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006

Could you explain to my how you have more artists than albums? If you had one artist, you would have one album, right? I can understand having more albums than artists b/c there would be multiple albums for each artist. I'm not trying to be difficult; I just want some clarification.

Thanks!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Could you explain to my how you have more artists than albums? If you had one artist, you would have one album, right? I can understand having more albums than artists b/c there would be multiple albums for each artist. I'm not trying to be difficult; I just want some clarification.

Thanks!

I'm guessing that he has lots of albums that have a different artist for each track (like my James Bond CD, it has 19 different artists, but its only one album)

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Ah, I see. That makes perfect sense. I'm not a soundtrack guy, so that wouldn't have really occurred to me. If that's the case, I got nothing.

hyddan

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2006

Hell no! People like me wouldn't be able to find squat. I've not even used coverflow in iTunes cause I find it terrible to look things up in, but was surprised it worked really well on the nano. Just because it looks up artist first, THEN album.

hyddan

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2006
I'm guessing that he has lots of albums that have a different artist for each track (like my James Bond CD, it has 19 different artists, but its only one album)

You can group them under a single name in the options if that is the case.

Current Coverflow works for me atleast, I love it.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I like the way the screen saver works, and Apple won't give you an option to turn it off because it increases the battery life so much.

The current cover flow annoys me, and I will not use it until it works properly. It annoys me that every album is shown about 5 times. :mad:

Apart from that, my most wanted option for the nano and classic is a way to exclude certain albums from floating past the main screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.