Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 19, 2002
Talk Show Host Springer Files for Senate

By MALIA RULON Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Jerry Springer, the talk show host whose nationally syndicated program often spotlighted strippers and skinheads, officially filed papers on Monday to run for the U.S. Senate from Ohio.

The Senate clerk received the statement of candidacy and organization for the "Jerry Springer for U.S. Senate" committee on Monday afternoon, according to a spokesman at the clerk's office. The documents were sent by certified mail last week.

Springer, the former mayor of Cincinnati, will make a final decision on whether to run by the end of the month. State Sen. Eric Fingerhut has already announced his candidacy for the Democratic nomination and the right to challenge first-term Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio, who served as governor of Ohio from 1991-99.
At least the press conferences and debates should be interesting. :eek:

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
He was already a politician. Mayor of... something. Then he got busted for something. I think he was something else before that. I would go look it up, but I suddenly realized I don't care.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
He's more intelligent than 95% of the senators in place, so i'd vote for him.

guy may be a trashking, but he's very bright otherwise...

pnw

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
He's honestly a smart man...who happened to capitalize on trash tv. ;)

No surprise, though, that he's exploring other venues. There's only so much shelf life that show has.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I don't think hes all bad, some celebrity polticians have done some good work...look at Ronald Reagan....I don't call him great but he certianly helped the country.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 19, 2002
C'mon this is humor. :D

Read on about the fund raising efforts...
The infomercial, paid for by Springer, is part biography and part fund-raiser. It explains how Springer's parents fled Nazi Germany for England, then moved to the United States just before Springer's fifth birthday. The ad seeks small donations and offers T-shirts, bumper stickers and CDs of Springer singing "rockabilly" music.

The infomercial will air for about two weeks in several U.S. cities including Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Memphis, Tenn., New Orleans, San Antonio and New York. Ford would not say how much it cost.
Wonder if this CD will be offered on iTMS. :p

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i think stupid people will go and vote for him, but i think if he is serious aboubthis, then i think he can do it, and a good job at it.

just like eyelikeart said, he just happened to capitolize on trash tv:p

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
This is unlikely to be good.

No matter how smart Mr. Springer may or may not be, his "career" thus far does nothing to suggest that this person has an ounce of vision, judgement, or propriety.

Brains may be necessary to be a good legislator, but it's not sufficient.

One must have the intestinal fortitude to say "no" when people want something that is ultimately self-destructive. (That the incumbents can't either doesn't justify Springer's candidacy.) Mr. Springer has done nothing but show that he can serve up whatever the lowest common denominator wants.

IMHO, he'll add nothing and risks turning the Senate floor into a circus ring.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by solvs
He was already a politician. Mayor of... something. Then he got busted for something. I think he was something else before that. I would go look it up, but I suddenly realized I don't care.

He got busted using city money for a hooker... I think he was busted in Cincinnati... pwned

Originally posted by Sun Baked
C'mon this is humor. :D

Read on about the fund raising efforts...Wonder if this CD will be offered on iTMS. :p

What the hell, WHY LANUCH ADS everywhere if you are running in Ohio.

Morons.

Jesus he aint gonna get elected anywhere.

BTW, what party is he running on?

The 'FailedTVShow Party' ?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by MrMacman
BTW, what party is he running on?

The 'FailedTVShow Party' ?

Failed?

You watch daytime TV lately?

With millions of hillbillies in the country, it's going strong, still has a solid viewer base, and doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Really it's testament to how intelligent he really is...

he's basically come out and said his show is garbage and he doesn't know why anyone watches... but he'll gladly keep making money in the long run...

at least he's honest about it, howard stern actually beleived in himself in this regard...

pnw

bcsimac

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
Bolivar, TN
EWWWWW!!!

The idea of Jerry Springer as a US Senator makes me want to puke....makes me sick....ick.....ew! He doesn't seem to be the kind of man with any strong morals.....he just does what he thinks will get people's attention or vote or whatever. His show maybe "successful", but I can't stand the thought that it actually airs at all. It just shows how sick this country is and so far from its roots. I know it is a free country and anybody can run. I just can't justify this man running for any office. I just wish his trash tv show would get canceled or just disappear along with the rest of trash tv. I miss family oriented tv so much that now days I only watch sports and weather and history channels.....the rest can take a jump into the lake and drown for all I care!

Das

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Hey, Californians re-elected Gray Davis so maybe there is a chance for him to be elected.

Unfortunately for him, 90% of his target audience who will vote A) will have ruined their hand when asked to punch the ticket and wont be able to finish B) are in prison C) can't go into their local voting precinct due to risk of said incarceration (police station, hospital, 7-11) D) are underage E) are drunk F) are drunk and underage and G) will accidentally vote for Pat Buchanan.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I definitely don't want to see another Democrat in the Senate. He was elected mayor of Cincinnati because it's a big liberal city. Ohio as a whole is still conservative, so that looks good for incumbent Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio!

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Failed?

You watch daytime TV lately?

With millions of hillbillies in the country, it's going strong, still has a solid viewer base, and doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Really it's testament to how intelligent he really is...

he's basically come out and said his show is garbage and he doesn't know why anyone watches... but he'll gladly keep making money in the long run...

at least he's honest about it, howard stern actually beleived in himself in this regard...

pnw

I thought it was on re-runs, meh oh well.

Originally posted by wdlove
I definitely don't want to see another Democrat in the Senate. He was elected mayor of Cincinnati because it's a big liberal city. Ohio as a whole is still conservative, so that looks good for incumbent Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio!

And you think Liberal watch that show more then others?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 19, 2002
This should make people happy...
Springer Says He Won't Seek Senate Seat

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Talk show host Jerry Springer, who brings the kinky and the tacky into America's living rooms each day, said Wednesday he will not return to politics by running for U.S. Senate next year.

"As long as I'm doing that show, my message, no matter how sincere and no matter how heartfelt, does not get through to the people I need to reach," he said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.