Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Gizmodo points out a new 3rd party application that has appeared on Installer.app.

gpsunknown_500.png

Navizon uses cell phone towers to pinpoint your location (within a few hundred yards) and is able to push those coordinates to the Google Maps application.

The result? Free GPS(ish) functionality on the iPhone.

Article Link

lampcov

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Sitting in my house, looks like the massive cell tower outside my window isn't "Known" yet since it can't locate me....bummer.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
This is awesome. It is apps like this that are going to make me end up hacking my phone. I hope Apple sees that this is a possibility and creates something like this.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
I just installed this, but all I get when running it is the message: "Your location could not be identified. No known Cells or WiFi nodes in range".

I'm in a fairly highly populated suburb of LA right now, so nowhere obscure. I guess their coverage isn't 100%

mikeinternet

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Oaklnad, CA
I installed Navizon this morning. I registered (quick and easy).

But, haven't been able to get it to work. I keep getting "Unable to Locate - Your location could not be identified. No known Cells or WiFi nodes in range."

I was on WiFi and had good service. I get lost a lot, I could really use this.

Edit : (Guess I'm not the only one.)

JRBTempe

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2007
Scenic North Canton, OH
I got this thing working as soon as I read the post on Gizmodo a few hours ago, but when I hit "Locate" it thinks I'm in North Hollywood, California! Strangely, it would have been accurate a year and a half ago when I actually lived there... no idea how it found that location instead of Uniontown, Ohio where I actually am right now! :eek:

squirrellydw

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2003
GPS app

Just release a dam GPS app already. Team up with Garmin or TOMTOM, this is the only thing stopping me from getting an iPhone

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
It would need to have signal to more than one tower for it to be able to triangulate. Maybe its not working for some of you folk because you're not connected to enough towers. Just a theory mind you!! Or maybe the tower's locations have to be manually programmed into the software. ??

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
lol people, there are obviously bugs...its a first release. Give it an update or two and Im sure they will have it working good.

Sheesh :rolleyes:

PS. I get the same "unable to locate" error too.

Keep in mind that the user name/pw are case sensitive.

g.c.

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
lol people, there are obviously bugs...its a first release. Give it an update or two and Im sure they will have it working good.

Sheesh :rolleyes:

PS. I get the same "unable to locate" error too.

Keep in mind that the user name/pw are case sensitive.

Exactly what I thought. I just found it while being bored and looking through installer.app. It's a great app (if and when it works).

theskunk

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
Appears to not work in Raleigh, NC...

Anybody know how to get on the team with navizon to contribute locations of towers?....

furthermore, how do you determine where a tower is for your company?!

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
does it work for the ipod touch?

this may be a dumb question - but does the installer.app and this gps thing work for the ipod touch or are they still working on hacks for that since it's still new. just curious..

OCOTILLO

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2005
Houston, TX
Real GPS?

This is helpful and there is no reason that Apple couldn't update the iPhone to add this feature (if they wanted to). I would prefer they open up the bluetooth function to permit the use of the small bluetooth receivers that are available. With an accurate "you are here" locater in Google Maps you would have a really useful simple GPS. Turn by turn voice directions are nice, but not really necessary.

appleguru1

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2003
Seems to work very well here... (Colorado Springs, CO)

FWIW, this will get better as time goes on.. the Navizon software uses a database of cellphone towers and WiFi bases that have been submitted via users with GPS units... So if no one has 'logged' your area yet, you're not going to get any results ;)

If you have a GPS and navizon capable device (See navizon.com for details...) you can help out and get paid for it too!

MacMan33

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Chicago
same error message here. I have just updated my area for coverage on there site, so i will see if this makes a difference. hope they fix this soon.:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.