Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomrinny

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
If I buy an iPhone, and unlock it, will I be able to use EDGE on T-mobile Prepaid? I know that it has T-zones on normal phones, that cant normally get around the restrictions. I have seen a couple of reports that you can get around it on the iPhone though. So, is anyone using an iPhone on prepaid T-mobile that can help me out?

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
If I buy an iPhone, and unlock it, will I be able to use EDGE on T-mobile Prepaid? I know that it has T-zones on normal phones, that cant normally get around the restrictions. I have seen a couple of reports that you can get around it on the iPhone though. So, is anyone using an iPhone on prepaid T-mobile that can help me out?

T-mobile has the unlimitted internet package for $19.99, if that works with the prepaid connection then you could use Edge for the Iphone.

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
from all the info i've seen so far it does not work...yet.

not sure if someone can make it work in the future. there are a few prepaid plans that offer internet but youll pay 30/mo. if you want net and prepaid i suggest at&t prepaid until another solution comes along.

tashafa

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2007
The "unlimited t-zones" is just for shopping for ringtones and wallpapers and stuff.

I've been looking into this, and I can't see any way to add a data plan to t-mobile prepaid.

t-zones gets you everything you pay for with at&t (with a little hacking) except seraching on youtube, but u can download and watch videos.

rydan

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007
I use T-mobile prepaid and sell these phones on eBay (see user rydan313). I can tell you that EDGE doesn't work even with that $5.99 hack. I read online blogs that indicated it would have been possible in the past but they fixed the loophole for prepaid.

You get no access to T-zones so no strange text games, ringtones, refills, etc. Everything else works great except Visual Voicemail. Dial #999# and it shows a cool looking screen telling you how many minutes you have left.

tomrinny

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
I use T-mobile prepaid and sell these phones on eBay (see user rydan313). I can tell you that EDGE doesn't work even with that $5.99 hack. I read online blogs that indicated it would have been possible in the past but they fixed the loophole for prepaid.

You get no access to T-zones so no strange text games, ringtones, refills, etc. Everything else works great except Visual Voicemail. Dial #999# and it shows a cool looking screen telling you how many minutes you have left.

WOW, are people really buying your WAY overpriced Unlocked iPhones? Man, the general public is stupid.

acrafton

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2006
WOW, are people really buying your WAY overpriced Unlocked iPhones? Man, the general public is stupid.

Dude, the guy is trying to help you out and answer your question and you insult him?

For the non-technical user or someone who doesn't want to bother with the unlocks, the price is very reasonable. If you don't want to buy one of his, don't but don't knock someone helping you.

tomrinny

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
Dude, the guy is trying to help you out and answer your question and you insult him?

For the non-technical user or someone who doesn't want to bother with the unlocks, the price is very reasonable. If you don't want to buy one of his, don't but don't knock someone helping you.

I DO appriciate the help. Where did I insult him? I insulted the people buying the phones from him. Anyone buying a 4gb iPhone for $480, unlocked or not, needs to be insulted.

applepimp

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
I have a t-mobile mda with a prepaid sim in it. There is no official way to get internet on t-mobile prepaid unless you have a sidekick. T-mobile does offer unlimited internet and text messaging (prepaid) on the sidekick for a dollar a day. I've tried to get t-mobile to give me that plan with my mda but that plan requires the sim id number from a sidekick. I've wondered if I had a sim from a prepaid sidekick would do the trick... Haven't figured out to do it yet though

rydan

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007
I DO appriciate the help. Where did I insult him? I insulted the people buying the phones from him. Anyone buying a 4gb iPhone for $480, unlocked or not, needs to be insulted.

Most of the people buying from me are from overseas so it could be a combination of not having English their primary language and the fact the iPhone is not available in their country. Then again considering the rate the dollar is falling, $480 may not be that much elsewhere.

Anyway I did use the proxy settings that the $5.99 plan requires and I finally got T-zones working. You need to use the URL http://wap.t-zones.com . Still no internet and I wouldn't expect it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.