Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I just noticed today that my iPhone doesn't re-orient itself when I turn it in any application that its supposed to. It doesn't do it in pictures, safari, or iPod. I've restored it twice and it still isn't working. Broken accelerometer?

Any ideas? I'll be calling Apple tomorrow to see what they say, maybe a replacement. FWIW I bought it from a local ATT.

nizz

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2004
north philly
that sucks, i really hope it won't become a common problem.. but
im sure apple will cover this in their warranty.
until then, it probably wont be that bad, as you can hopefully live without these features for a day :)

locomien

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
if you go though their rma process. They will send you a kit and instructions on how to send in your phone. They will then try to fix it if they can. If not they will replace it. It'll probably be a refurbished unit though (mine was). Also if they replace it your purchase date will reset to the day they send you the new phone. So hope you have the receipt if you want th 100 rebate.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
I just noticed today that my iPhone doesn't re-orient itself when I turn it in any application that its supposed to. It doesn't do it in pictures, safari, or iPod. I've restored it twice and it still isn't working. Broken accelerometer?

Any ideas? I'll be calling Apple tomorrow to see what they say, maybe a replacement. FWIW I bought it from a local ATT.

Could be broken, but the accelerometer is twitchy all by itself, too. For the sake of argument, try just resetting your iPhone, not doing another restore. And then hold your iPhone straight up and down vertically, parallel to your body, then rotate it to horizontal. I've noticed sometimes I have to do this to get it to work because if I'm holding it at a bit of an angle the accelerometer can't figure out exactly how the iPhone is oriented.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
What is weird is that even after many restores it still won't work, but I tried the 3rd party sensor app and it was registering the accelerometer.

I talked to Apple, the guy was really helpful and nice, and they're sending me a free loaner for the repair.

wattage

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2005

Mine started doing this, or NOT doing this, on Saturday. I have reset and restored it but still not rotating. I will take it in on Wednesday and see what happens.

wattage

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2005
Took mine to the Apple Store and the Genius looked it over, restored it again and then gave me a new phone. This time they didn't want the box and dock and stuff, just the phone and gave me a different one. I asked if it was a refurb. and they said they honestly didn't know, but even their refurbs get the guts transported to new outer case and looked over for accuracy.

So far so good on iPhone #3.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Mine is also becoming a bit sketchy with rotating. Sometimes I have to rotate the phone 3, 4 times to get it to 'register' and kick in the rotate.

Now everytime my iphone does not rorate it scares me if there is a serious problem lurking behind. I hope this isn't a common issue. :(

natefair

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Silly Possibility

Never discount the obvious

The new OS allows you to lock the orientation. If start clicking away like I did, you might lock it. The locking tool is in the multitasking toolbar on the far left.

NediPhone

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010

The new OS allows you to lock the orientation. If start clicking away like I did, you might lock it. The locking tool is in the multitasking toolbar on the far left.

Thank you Natefair, this was the answer I needed. I need to be a little less "click" happy.

Hydrocity

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2010

Lol I dont think the iPhone had this feature 3 years ago:p

trevor.7

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
France
You are a real star! Thank you

You are a star! I had locked mine inadvertently and was getting really frustrated until I found your note. Many, many thanks! ;) What a poor design feature that lets you lock yourself so easily. I did notice the locked symbol on my screen but hadn't a clue what it meant, so began searching until I got to here.

koilvr

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Knoxville, TN
dude I was locked and i knew it but did not and now its fixed but its not cause of this 3 yr old thread but I think it was good to bring it back to help the new problem of locking your self and not knowing it so I guess what comes around goes around let history repeat it self again

Maestro-nick

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
Power off and on again. Worked for me. Safari just seemed stuck since the rest of the apps worked still.

nalsop

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
iOs4 on 3gs

I can't find the orientatio lock you mention here. Is it setting for the phone in general or for something in particular?

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I can't find the orientatio lock you mention here. Is it setting for the phone in general or for something in particular?
I hate to bring this thread back up to the top, but I'll answer this question:
You can double tap the home button to open up the recent program list, then go to the left to access the orientation lock. This method works on iOS 4.

PirateP

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Naboo Land
I hate to bring this thread back up to the top, but I'll answer this question:
You can double tap the home button to open up the recent program list, then go to the left to access the orientation lock. This method works on iOS 4.

It is the button on the far left of the iPod controls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.