Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azmodon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2005
Hampton Roads, Virginia
Yes, shoppe. It's olde timey.

Anyone have any favorite literature on graphic design? I ask because after checking out the art section at Barnes and Noble I discovered a digital arts section on the other side of the store filled a ton of books and, like art technique, some of them are, well, much to be desired. Still, photoshop and illustrator and any other associated programs are things I'd like to start learning. Any tips on what to look into?

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Go to lynda.com and get 25.00/mon subscription. The Illustrator and Photoshop tutorials are the bet available in my opinion.

Anyone have any favorite literature on graphic design? I ask because after checking out the art section at Barnes and Noble I discovered a digital arts section on the other side of the store filled a ton of books and, like art technique, some of them are, well, much to be desired. Still, photoshop and illustrator and any other associated programs are things I'd like to start learning. Any tips on what to look into?

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC

Are you looking for information on design, or just books teaching you how to use Photoshop and Illustrator?

If it's the latter, I really like the Classroom in a Book series that Adobe puts out. It's a personal preference, but step by step tutorials like that work really well for me - consequently, it's how I first learned to use the programs.

Azmodon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2005
Hampton Roads, Virginia
Are you looking for information on design, or just books teaching you how to use Photoshop and Illustrator?

If it's the latter, I really like the Classroom in a Book series that Adobe puts out. It's a personal preference, but step by step tutorials like that work really well for me - consequently, it's how I first learned to use the programs.

Heh, yeah, should have clarified; I made that post way too early. ^^; The latter, certainly. :D I'll check out what you guys suggested. Thanks!

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
i really like real world photoshop by ben willmore

the classroom in a book series are solid, but a bit dry IMO

i know we all learn different ways...

(also, photoshop one on one by deke mcclelland)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.