Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Hi Everyone,

I just scanned a handwritten paper and much of the writing is very light and hard to read... Some is kind of patchy. Which command in PS will help me darken up the text to make it more readable?

Thanks!

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Levels will most likely help you there.

--

When I deal with handwriting, I usually copy it into an alpha channel and invert it, then use levels to take out the paper texture and strengthen the handwriting. Then I convert that into a selection and fill it into a new (normal) layer or into a mask for a new layer. That way you have transparency and better control over everything.

But if you don't want to do all that, adjusting the levels at least should help. :)

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
Ya Photoshop levels and pull in the black point.

ppc_michael - Thats a pretty good idea to try.I must remember that one.That could also be useful for sketches that have been scanned into PS as well.

MorzillA

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Miami
hmmmmm....very interesting! I usually do adjusting on the scanner pgrm before opening it on PS!
thanks ppc_micheal!!!

:apple:

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
hmmmmm....very interesting! I usually do adjusting on the scanner pgrm before opening it on PS!
That's the easiest solution. When you scan, set the white and black points (the black obviously pointing to the handwriting itself).. then you don't have to mess with Photoshop trying to guess pixel information.

FYI, you should do this before scanning ANYTHING so that you get a good range on the histogram straight from the beginning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.