Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gfroyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2004
I am writing some training materials that include lots of screenshots.

On Windows (shudder) I use this incredibly handy little freeware tool called "Sizer" which allows me to simply snap the size of any window to an EXACT size - say 800 x 600 - so that every screen shot I take has the exact same size and the whole effect looks more consistent and professional. It takes me less than a second to set up again for a new session of writing/recording at exactly the same size as the previous session..

But I can't find anything similar for Mac OS - in fact I can't even find out how to FIND OUT the size of a window, let alone SET it to something... There are a couple of "screen rulers" out there, but surely there is some easy way of getting a window to report its size?

Thanks

Gordon

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
For Safari type or copy the code in it's address field then press the return key:

1024x800
Code:
javascript:self.resizeTo(1024,800)

Sometimes (mostly esp. with blank pages) it works, sometimes not. You can create shortcuts for it and save them as bookmarks. Other scripts:

800x(max)
Code:
javascript:self.resizeTo(800,screen.availHeight)

Full screen
Code:
javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);

800x600
Code:
javascript:self.resizeTo(800,600)

gfroyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2004
For Safari type or copy the code in it's address field then press the return key:

1024x800
Code:

Wow.. thanks a lot - I am working with Firefox and it works beautifully..

Cheers

Gordon

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity

1024x800
Code:

Sometimes (mostly esp. with blank pages) it works, sometimes not. You can create shortcuts for it and save them as bookmarks. Other scripts:

800x(max)
Code:

Full screen
Code:
javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);

800x600
Code:

nice trick...will add that to my bag of shortcuts...

JBat

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
Washington

1024x800
Code:

800x(max)
Code:

Full screen
Code:

800x600
Code:
Wow. That's really cool. Thanks for the info.

Pants Dragon

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
Just so you know, I have my computer set to not allow sites to resize my window. It's annoying and pointless. Just show the image in the current window's size.

gfroyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2004
Just so you know, I have my computer set to not allow sites to resize my window. It's annoying and pointless. Just show the image in the current window's size.

I'm not trying to resize anyone else's window.. I'm trying to resize my OWN windows, so that the screenshots that I take are all consistently and identically sized...

What Habakuk told us is that you can size your OWN Safari/Firefox window to the exact size you want by typing the javascript into the address bar..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.