Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bear-Max

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
At the moment I have a 2G Blue Nano (which I upgraded from a Silver Mini last year), and I love it. However, I'm feeling the need for a new iPod, if only for a little more space as I knock on the door of 4GB.

I'm trying to decide between getting a 3G Red Nano and a 16GB Touch. At present I'm leaning toward the Nano, as I love the form factor and to be honest don't have a great deal of use for the WiFi... however cool it would be to have access to YouTube!

The only thing that puts me off upgrading is the wear and tear of the new models, specifically the mirror-metal backing. I've had my current iPod for over a year, and the scratch-proof casing has been a heaven send. Even after a few drops and frequently sharing a pocket with my keys it still seems in perfect condition. There's nothing more I hate than to buy a new piece of kit and then having to cover it up in all sorts of protective cases. How does the new Nano hold up after a little bit of use?

Any other advice welcome :)

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
well, my ipod classic has this same backing, and i would have to say it is holding up very well

Nerolt

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
I've had my nano G3 for about 4 days now, and the back is already covered in minor scratches from going in and out of my change pocket in my jeans (it fits perfectly btw)

Not a big problem though.

ds252

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
Yeah the back of the classic and nano get scratched fairly easily but the touches interface is scratch proof and i think the back is the same as the exterior of the nano 2G so it should be all good there

Actually i just read that the touches back is very scratch prone

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I haven't had any significant scratch problems with my 3G nano, mostly because I stuff it in my shirt pocket with nothing in the shirt pocket. I'm waiting for the 3G nano cases to finally show up, though....

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
i think the back is the same as the exterior of the nano 2G so it should be all good there

Actually i just read that the touches back is very scratch prone

unfortunately, the back of the iTouch is just like the 3G Nano/Classic's
screen shot of MacWorld's Hands on video

picture1ym3.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.