Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hurricanekate2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
One row of my iPhone's keyboard in the SMS menu isn't working (the second to bottom row with the shift button and the delete key). I've done a hard reset and a software restore and nothing...has anyone else experienced this? I've had the phone for three days and I'm nowhere near an Apple store so if I can avoid sending it in that would be great.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
One row of my iPhone's keyboard in the SMS menu isn't working (the second to bottom row with the shift button and the delete key). I've done a hard reset and a software restore and nothing...has anyone else experienced this? I've had the phone for three days and I'm nowhere near an Apple store so if I can avoid sending it in that would be great.

Does the touch screen work in that area otherwise? If it does, it's software. If not, it's hardware and needs to be sent in. My first iPhone's screen was defective (the bottom stopped responding). Apple pays for overnight shipping, including shipping you a loaner phone. They said they would charge a dollar to my account but they never did. It's not that bad at all to have AppleCare take care of your iPhone problems.

hurricanekate2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's hardware...crazy question: where can I request service? I've poked around the support website for like 20 minutes and can't find anywhere to request hardware service for the iPhone.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's hardware...crazy question: where can I request service? I've poked around the support website for like 20 minutes and can't find anywhere to request hardware service for the iPhone.

U.S. iPhone technical support: 1-800-MY-IPHONE (1-800-694-7466)

Flipsyde

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
Okay @kate, @al256 apparently ive been having the same problem now for about a few months now , owner of a 4GB Iphone and technically ive been blaming it on something magnetic on my table could have caused the demagnetization =/ [or so i thought], well on the other hand while ur stuck with the current phones issue [or prolly got it fixed now], anyways cause of the same issue [my lower layer wasnt working which meant no spacebar, number change or worse case scenario unable to press return or enter when typing my wifi's password] due to this situation i had to rely on sticking to 1.0.2 due to updations of jailbreakme which totally included the usage of the lower layer =/ and so on, but ive managed to find a way though to get to use most of your phone in this situation.:p

Most Fixes [Upto now]

Updations
If ever you were to update your iphone, stick to Ziphone V3 as it does most of the dirty work in upgrading and blah [snazzy prog i might add] saved my arse a number of times now.;)

SMS'ing
Ah yeah the most important part in woman/mans life is sms'ing :p to save your credit, as of now the only suggestion i came come up with is this app called SMSD [http://amrut.joshi.googlepages.com/] Which i may add is a SWEET app! i dont know how they pulled it off but, that app uses a different layer which enables you to use the spacebar and the lower parts of your keyboard [yes this means a fix for you too al256] so youd rest assured you can send sms now.:eek:

In conclusion, ive been with this phone for almost 8 months now and this problem happened on the 2nd month and ive lived with this method for 6 months now. Im apparently afraid to send my Iphone to the nearest Apple retailer as they might ask for warranty or some crap and i bought it off a store [non apple retailer] so i have my doubts they might ask for the orig bill i purchased off apple and if im unable to give the requiremnts like i heard in one case they literally took the guys phone and never returned it saying something about copywrighted crap and they have rights to keep the phone.Anyone have a clue if i might be able to send it for repairs [yes its technical] and have confidence i may get it back. Take note, i do NOT live in the land of milk and honey [USA] so toll free no's are off the list :).

MacTipsAndHelp

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008

I have experienced something similar. On my iPhone, a row of my menu did not work. Ex; Txt, Safari, and like address book or something.
There are many steps you can take into trying to fix your problem.
1st off, look and see if the touchscreen works in that same place on the menu or something.
Steps to fixing:
1) Try going to the apple website and troubleshooting
2) Call apple and try to get them to explain to you whats wrong and how you are able to fix it
3) Take a trip to apple store
4)Try reseting your phones settings
5) Surf the web more
6)Get a new phone (if yours is on rebate)
7)Buy new phone if cant be fixed

Sorry thats all i can really do for you all i had to do was get new phone because mine was on rebate. I didnt try that much to fix it.

pmsnowman

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009
Take it to an Apple store!

I had a 1st generation iPhone with similar problems (bottom row of keyboard non-responsive). I just took it to the Genius bar at the Apple store and they replaced it without charge on the spot. If they try to tell you that the warranty is up (which mine was), just tell them that this is a known issue and should be totally covered. In my case, they looked up my serial number and saw that it is covered and totally replaceable. Remember to run a backup before going in the store though.

DPA

macrumors 65816
I had a 1st generation iPhone with similar problems (bottom row of keyboard non-responsive). I just took it to the Genius bar at the Apple store and they replaced it without charge on the spot. If they try to tell you that the warranty is up (which mine was), just tell them that this is a known issue and should be totally covered. In my case, they looked up my serial number and saw that it is covered and totally replaceable. Remember to run a backup before going in the store though.

So you decided to try to give advice on a thread that is 16 months old? Thanks for trying to help but there readers are long gone and away from this thread. And besides that, the OP said he wanted to avoid sending the iPhone in.

David

Flipsyde

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
Actually in a way i do appreciate the help @snow @FCP @MacTips, Even if its 16 months old topic, I think by now I maybe able to get my iPhone working, The whole buzz about the 3G phone and 2G iPod is quite the buzz as of now, So i dont think apple is going to sit down and check each serial number 1 by 1. And I do want to get my iPhone fixed at all costs, Even if it was the factory default [As most people claim the 4GB one as] I like to have the idea that something I paid over 2k [Which is now barely 200-500 Utter Bull really] that i atleast get to use it for its moneys worth [Sorry but i believe in spending for things that serve a purpose more than being just a display piece]:D [I even have the first GameBoy B/W still intact and mint condition]. Its an amazing phone in terms of my experience and as of now, I guess Id be one of the many who actually has a 4GB in its 2ND Generation form. On the bright side, If apple does stop being a pain and actually gets it fixed, I might use this as a test dummy to experiment with the later upcoming iPhone firmwares =]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.