Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
Anyone here watching Dexter on Showtime?

It stars Michael C. Hall (from Six Feet Under) as some sort of psychopathic murderer, who happens to be a blood spatter expert for the Miami PD and is somehow a sympathetic character. Watching it now. It's kind of captivating.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i've seen the various posters for it (in nyc actually), and having recently started on the tv drama craze, i'm very curious about this show. how did you like it?

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
Story was interesting, a good setup for the rest of the series. I thought the cast was great, especially Michael C. Hall. He must love getting to play another great character, and one so different from his role on Six Feet Under.

My wife found the serial killer stuff to be a bit gruesome, but it didn't bother me (and actually added a bit to the depth of the character, I thought).

I haven't actually talked to anyone who has watched it. Let him know what you think if you check it out.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
I'm enjoying it so far, though I don't see how the Captain's crush on Dexter really adds anything to the story. Guess I'll have to wait and see where they take it.

I think the killing scenes were done very well, and definitely help you understand his character.

leekohler: Dexter is, as zwida said, a blood spatter expert for the Miami PD. He also happens to have psychopathic tendencies. Early in life, his foster father (a police officer) recognized his tendencies and taught him to focus on killing people who "deserved it", rather than killing random innocent people. So he spends his spare time looking through old case files for murderers and rapists who couldn't be convicted, stalks them to verify that they are indeed guilty of their crimes, then murders them in a brutal and "satisfying" way.

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
szark said:
I'm enjoying it so far, though I don't see how the Captain's crush on Dexter really adds anything to the story. Guess I'll have to wait and see where they take it.

Yeah, the Captain's crush stuff does seem a bit goofy, but it struck me as sort of a perfect angle on a workplace "relationship."

Looking forward to seeing where the storyline with the other killer goes. They've built a nice potential for tension there; certainly moreso than the "which scumbag is Dexter going to wipe out his week" idea (which I also like, to be fair).

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
I was able to watch one episode that was available as a freebie with On-Demand and I enjoyed it. Unfortunately I don't subscribe to showtime (only hbo) so I'll have to wait until the show comes out on dvd and rent it off netflix.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
I've seen those great NYC bus ads too and it has me interested in seeing the show. I didn't realize it started already. As soon as baseball season winds down I'll go catch up OnDemand. It sounds like it could be a good show.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Bah, I don't have showtime but I'll get it on Netflix.

In the meantime, I'm going to check the books its based on out of the library, I've heard they're excellent.

MultiM

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!
I looked forward to seeing it and I won't watch it anymore. The anti-hero bad guy as the good guy thing is just wrong. I'm tired of killing, forensics, legal wranglings etc. Now, Heros. That's a good show. Some of them can FLY!!!

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
When I saw the title, I thought the thread was about the Cartoon Network's Dexter's Laboratory. Blast from the past. :D

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Got through the first eight episodes this week.

It's a fantastic show. It's a great drama with a few laughs here and there.

It's smart. I dig it.

Mr.nix

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2007
hate to dig up an old thread but I just finished watching season 1 on dvd. What a damn good show.

letsgorangers

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
TN
The boyfriend and I are working on getting through season 1. Love this show!

The books are also awesome. The third book just came out, so I haven't read it yet, but the first two are very good. Darkly Dreaming Dexter and Dearly Devoted Dexter are the titles I believe.

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
I thought the new season begins on September 30. Are they previewing it on Showtime on demand? Or am I otherwise ignoring one of my favorite shows?

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
I thought the new season begins on September 30. Are they previewing it on Showtime on demand? Or am I otherwise ignoring one of my favorite shows?

It does start on the 30th. They bundled the first two eps in with some DVD set a while back, and they made their way to the torrent sites.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
Season 2 premier starts tonight here in Canada on The Movie Network.

My favorite show of last season, can't wait.

edit: I was wrong, it starts on the 30th here as well.

runningman

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
I thought the first season was terrific. It was well written and the story lines flowed, the acting was top notch and it was humorous. The anti hero theme and his personal struggles of hiding what he truly his from society rings true for a great many of us.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Too bad SHO doesn't seem to be offering Season 2 on iTunes, yet.

While the show is great there really isn't anything else I want to watch on SHO, so it's not worth subscribing just for Dexter.

:(

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.