Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In preparation with its broader iTunes store partnership with Starbucks, Starbucks has announced that from October 2nd to November 7th, stores will hand out "Song of the Day" cards that can be redeemed on the iTunes store for a selected song of 37 artists featured on Starbucks Hear Music label, including Joss Stone, Dave Matthews, John Mayer, Annie Lennox and Band of Horses. The first song will be Bob Dylan's "Joker Man."

Starbucks also will offer a limited-edition reloadable purchasing card that includes two free iTunes downloads when customers register their cards online.

Article Link: Starbucks to give away free iTunes songs

puuukeey

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2004
tristate area
something tells me I'm not alone when I say that this whole starbucks thing turns me off. disgusts me even.

if there was some sort of "location button" rather than a "starbucks button" where any commercial outlet, park or , tourist attraction could participate I would be totally down. but having starbucks exclusively pop up on my ipod would be like well.... HAVING THE STAR BUCKS LOGO POP UP ON MY IPOD!

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
It should also be noted that they mentioned in the press release that the iTunes Store will be accessible from an iPhone, iPod touch and laptops running iTunes, for free. :)

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I didn't realize that Dylan is a "Hear Music" label person. I wonder if this is the studio "Jokerman" (from infidels with Mark Knopfler on guitar) or another version? Its hard to imagine that Columbia (Dylan's label for 95% of his career) would throw "Infidels" tracks to Starbucks; although I guess the decline of the recording business will lead to all kids of odd stuff.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
It should also be noted that they mentioned in the press release that the iTunes Store will be accessible from an iPhone, iPod touch and laptops running iTunes, for free. :)

The only way this would appeal to me is if the whole internet was available to Apple customers at Starbucks, and not just the iTunes store. I can't stomach the thought of giving TMobile money just to surf the web on my iPhone while I enjoy my Machiato. :p

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
So in order to take advantage of these free downloads on the iPhone, I'm guessing we'll see 1.1.1 firmware by weeks end? :)

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
I've never understood reloadable store cards. Doesn't it wind up sitting in your wallet right next to your check card? What's the point?

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I hope this is indeed ALL Starbucks b/c I go to one about once a week to work on stuff here in town. I've been meaning to get a gift card to really control that spending, so that sounds good for the free music. Sometimes there is some really good stuff in there, and I'm stuck writing down lyrics so I can look them up when I get home...

Thanks for the news!

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
something tells me I'm not alone when I say that this whole starbucks thing turns me off. disgusts me even.
With Starbucks opening 7 NEW STORES A DAY, you, my friend, are in the minority. You might not be "alone" as you say, but how would we know... you don't stipulate what it is that really disgusts you about the company and/or their experience/customer service/product/slogan/decor/logo/mantra, etc.

if there was some sort of "location button" rather than a "starbucks button" where any commercial outlet, park or , tourist attraction could participate I would be totally down. but having starbucks exclusively pop up on my ipod would be like well.... HAVING THE STAR BUCKS LOGO POP UP ON MY IPOD!
Hell, I guess it was the logo. :D

nimbuscloud

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007

Calm down.

This is the beginning of something big. You'll soon enough have Express, The GAP, and all kinds of places selling songs through the iTunes WiFi Music Store.

Why must people ALWAYS complain just because they have a mouth?

:apple:

elcerrito494

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2006
Well I was excited, until...

I read that the Starbucks music thing isn't coming to the Bay Area 'till November 7th, the last day to get the cards.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006

No body else seems to be, so I will back you on this. I do not like their coffee; I think it is horrible. It is generally too hot, and always too acidic. But that is just my feeling about their coffee, and in no way bears on why I detest them.

I do not know why. Perhaps it is because they open 7 stores a day. Perhaps it is because they are even more overpriced than Apple. Perhaps it is their ****** coffee, and I think they are so overrated. Perhaps it is a combination. Whatever it is, I rarely go to a Starbucks. My choice.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH

I'm sure a simple software update could change the button into whatever store they wanted. Maybe the Starbucks rollout is just a test.....just think, soon you could have a WalMart button pop up....or a Home Depot button ;)

-Kevin

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
With Starbucks opening 7 NEW STORES A DAY, you, my friend, are in the minority. You might not be "alone" as you say, but how would we know... you don't stipulate what it is that really disgusts you about the company and/or their experience/customer service/product/slogan/decor/logo/mantra, etc.

Hell, I guess it was the logo. :D

This pretty much says it all. McCoffee. I can't wait for the day when I can get free itunes downloads with my Big Mac!

meh.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Well I was excited, until...

I read that the Starbucks music thing isn't coming to the Bay Area 'till November 7th, the last day to get the cards.

from reading the linked article it sounded to me like all starbucks would be giving out these cards not just the ones that initially get this service.
Starbucks Corp. plans to give away 50 million free digital songs to customers in all of its domestic coffee houses to promote a new wireless iTunes music service that's about to debut in select markets

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
"stores will hand out"

I wonder if this means no purchase is necessary? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.