Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yuppi

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Hi,
I just installed the 1.1 update on my iMac and since then I have freezes when the machine awakes. It is only the graphics because I can shutdown the machine using the remote control. The cursor still works but there are some distortions in the graphics.
It might also relate to the fact that I tried to run the OpenGL profiler which asked for some changes which I did not make and then crashed.
Does anyone else have the same problem?
It is only for wake ups, not cold starts or restarts, yet.

Reverting to 1.0
For those that have as many problems with the update like I did, here is a way to restore your old driver. I guarantee for nothing.
Download the 1.0 update from: http://www.fileavenue.net/index.php?...s&cat=1&pl=mac
Download Pacifist if you do not yet have it installed: http://www.charlessoft.com/
Drag the update package onto pacifist. Select the root named: Contents of iMacSoftwareUpdate1.0.pkg. Press install.
It will override all files that have been updated with 1.1.
Since then I did not have any further trouble.
Reset the PRAM if some problems remain.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
I've had freezes before the update but so far none after the update (hasn't been very long though).
I've blamed them on the graphics driver, and I thought that they update would address that. But perhaps I was too optimistic then :)

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I too am experiencing freezes. I've had my 24" iMac about a month without any problems, and now with 1.1 installed it'll freeze. For me, opening thunderbird seems to cause it.

I can move the mouse, but nothing else. If I ssh into the computer, everything seems normal - the fact that I can ssh in seems to me that the computer hasn't totally crashed.

Yuppi

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Is there a way to uninstall the 1.1 Patch?
Because I now have problems getting the machine to sleep as well. It switches of, and immediately on again..

Yuppi

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Solution

I finally found a solution:
For those that have as many problems with the update like I did, here is a way to restore your old driver. I guarantee for nothing.
Download the 1.0 update from: http://www.fileavenue.net/index.php?action=categories&cat=1&pl=mac
Download Pacifist if you do not yet have it installed: http://www.charlessoft.com/
Drag the update package onto pacifist. Select the root named: Contents of iMacSoftwareUpdate1.0.pkg. Press install.

sndrk

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
Since the 1.1 update I have severe crashes when working in Shake, including the screen going all grey and flickering and freezing on restarting. I hope it is the 1.1 driver and not some hardware issue.

If it happens again I will try downgrading to 1.0 and see if that helps.

Neeper

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
Calgary, AB, Canada
I finally found a solution:
Download the 1.0 update from: http://www.fileavenue.net/index.php?action=categories&cat=1&pl=mac
WOW, excellent!! This worked for me. No more freezing. Stupid update was the culprit for all this anguish!

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
My parents are having same issue with new 24" imac.
I can replicate locking up easily by simply launching photobooth so video seems to do be it, however i've also been able to tell that if their new 7 port USB hub is plugged in with 2 printers and a scanner hooked to it, it will always happen. I had my dad unplug it and everything is seemingly working fine.

Fix these problems apple. Shame on you this shouldn't be happening on your flaghship consumer model.

hardhatmac

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
Utah
as I opened this thread the 1.1 auto update popped up.....I'm glad I kept on reading before installing...

I choose not to install...

thanks!

DreamsPower

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2007
Hyrule
Hello! Another freezing iMac from Italy!

Hi, this thread is my saviour so far. I have a new iMac aluminium 20" 2.4 ghz, with a single 2 gb ram module.

I honestly don't remember if before the update my iMac never froze, but surely, after the 1.1 was freezing like crazy. It happened during simple graphic operations (rolling over the Dock, displaying a Youtube video, activating Dashboard and switching between apps).

I was still able to move the cursor but nothing more (not even cmd, alt, esc); could just shut down through the hw button.

When restarting sometimes still had freeze problems, or the Users login selection window was graphically disturbed (sorry i can't explain with a good english). Those graphic glitches were also popping out in iTunes and iMovie.

Now after reading this thread I did remove (hope so) the 1.1 and am using it from more then 2 hours with no problems so far.
I really want a new update that improves my video card without causing freezes... Apple wake up!!!

fabravo

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2007
My parents are having same issue with new 24" imac.
I can replicate locking up easily by simply launching photobooth so video seems to do be it, however i've also been able to tell that if their new 7 port USB hub is plugged in with 2 printers and a scanner hooked to it, it will always happen. I had my dad unplug it and everything is seemingly working fine.

Fix these problems apple. Shame on you this shouldn't be happening on your flaghship consumer model.

I have the same issue, too. I thought it was the 1.1 update (and have rolled back from that), but the problems have continued. I unplugged the USB and all is well (at least for now). I have since plugged it in again and it seems ok, but I guess we will see.

I have the 24" 2.4 GHz iMac and am by no means a computer dummy... dealing with these things and issues is my job! I have never seen an Apple update do what the 1.1. did.

Yuppi

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
I had some minor incidents after that, but after resetting the PRAM they are gone now completly. I wonder if that might have been an issue with the 1.1 patch. So when you install the 1.1 patch and you reset the PRAM it might just work.
Any volunteers to confirm that? :)
I'm just plain happy that it works like a charm again.

marcg007

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Boston area
I have had no problems

When did the 1.1 update show up? late last week or start of this one? Pretty sure I installed but have not had any promlems related to that. Happy to say I have been pretty much trouble free since day 1.:)

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Thanks very much for posting this, rolling back seems to have fixed the problem.

Dr. Cheesesteak

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2005
I had zero problems with my machine until this update, and am now having a miserable time trying to keep the machine running even long enough to make sure I have everything backed up. It is locking up for seemingly no reason at this point - while doing things as simple as opening Safari or a Finder window.

Even worse is when it freezes I reboot only to have it lock up again while booting! I have to try 3 or 4 times before I can even get into the OS. Most of the freezes there are happening right after I login but before the dock and desktop icons load.

Like others have said both here and on the Apple discussions - I can still move the mouse but that is the only thing I can do.

I tried rolling back to 1.0 but it didn't seem to make a difference. I figured I might not have done it right so I am just doing a complete erase and install as soon as the last of my stuff is backed up. Tried PRAM and SMC resets but no luck.

Really a bummer - but I think I might have learned my lesson on first gen Apple stuff now. This is the second time I've bought a new iMac model only to have it crap out on me within the first few weeks. They are so shiny and irresistible though! :eek:

Neeper

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
Calgary, AB, Canada
Ok, mine still freezes even after rolling back to 1.0. It's not as bad as the freezing I was getting with 1.1. Before this update my iMac never froze, not even once. When are they going to fix this issue? I am sure they know about it, right?

otto-matic

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2007
So far mine is working after removing the update. I also noticed on mine, iTunes and iPhoto seemed to provoke the problem.

Apple tech support in unaware, at least the rep I talked to.

Thanks for posting this, hopefully apple will fix this soon.

-otto

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Well I just rolled back to 1.0

Hopefully this thing stops freezing on me now. Never had this problem on a mac before. Kinda upsetting.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Ok, mine still freezes even after rolling back to 1.0. It's not as bad as the freezing I was getting with 1.1. Before this update my iMac never froze, not even once. When are they going to fix this issue? I am sure they know about it, right?

Rolling back is sort of like installing new software over old. The preferences and hidden folders still may remain which is why you may be still getting freezes. If you are still experiencing freezes and have never before the update then you should reformat and install. Do all updates excluding the 1.1.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Apple tech support in unaware, at least the rep I talked to.

Lord only knows why, but they all seem to say this.
I don't see how that can be the case when the problem appears quite widespread and well documented on Apples own forums. (Indeed, its currently on Macfixits front page even) Plus of course users have been filing feedback via the website and making the issues known via calls to AppleCare for a few weeks now.

Im still not certain if the issue is hardware or software myself. On the scale of things, my iMac suffers much less than many peoples iMacs, and only locks up when playing UT2004. It stopped locking up after using the Prey demo once I updated to the V1.1 update. So, my iMacs issues are quite limited compared with some
PLUS, playing exactly the same game of UT2004 works perfectly in Xp with a windows copy of the game. No problems at all! Its just OS X that hates it on this iMac.
This would suggest a software/drivers issue. But there is still a chance its flaky hardware. Particularly for the folks that say their Macs have issues in OS X AND Windows.
[EDIT] Scrap that. It just did exactly the same thing in XP :(

Tomorrow (tuesday) I should be speaking with someone quite senior at AppleCare (Some senior executive relations director of one kind or another anyway). So i'll see what they say about it and report back..

Yuppi

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007

Try resetting the PRAM. That helped me after rolling back.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Yes, please Luap report back tomorrow, thanks.

Ok.. spoke to 2 people there.. Quite high up in the euro tech/customer care type departments.. They offered to take it back to check it out, and send me a replacement. However, after I explained my latest findings to them, they agreed to check out some screen shots and crash log files 1st, before exchanging Macs. I dont particularly want a replacement unless they are certain mine is bad. I dont want the hassle of reinstalling etc..

As for my findings.. After the 1.1 update, it still locks up on UT2004 as it did before. But all other software runs just fine (Unlike some folks misbehaving iMacs). Seeing as UT (In OS X) is now the only app my iMac has a problem with, then I think that rules out a hardware fault in my case. But for other peoples iMacs with more problems than mine has, it may be different?
[EDIT] I now found it did the very same thing in XP.

I expect tomorrow I will get some feedback from Apple after I submitted them the data. So again, i'll keep you guys posted on that.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Ok.. spoke to 2 people there.. Quite high up in the euro tech/customer care type departments.. They offered to take it back to check it out, and send me a replacement. However, after I explained my latest findings to them, they agreed to check out some screen shots and crash log files 1st, before exchanging Macs. I dont particularly want a replacement unless they are certain mine is bad. I dont want the hassle of reinstalling etc..

As for my findings.. After the 1.1 update, it still locks up on UT2004 as it did before. But all other software runs just fine (Unlike some folks misbehaving iMacs). Seeing as UT (In OS X) is now the only app my iMac has a problem with, then I think that rules out a hardware fault in my case. But for other peoples iMacs with more problems than mine has, it may be different?

I expect tomorrow I will get some feedback from Apple after I submitted them the data. So again, i'll keep you guys posted on that.

Where do you find the crash log?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.