Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chall5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I'm seeing a lot of unlocked iPhones available in the UK.

My question is can Apple detect an unlocked iPhone when its plugged in to iTunes and disable/re-lock it via a software update ?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Software updates do not run without your consent, so the "stealth" factor shouldn't be an issue. But, future firmware updates could very well disable whatever hack was used to unlock your iPhone and, thus, relock it.

So once you unlock an iPhone, you won't be able to run firmware updates, at least not without first waiting to see if the hackers can keep up.

I'm very tempted to buy and unlock an iPhone from the US -- it seems like much better value than an iPod touch -- but I want to wait for the hackers to figure out how to unlock the 1.1.1 firmware update.

LCaller

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
I'm seeing a lot of unlocked iPhones available in the UK.

My question is can Apple detect an unlocked iPhone when its plugged in to iTunes and disable/re-lock it via a software update ?

Any updates will be done via iTunes. My phone has been updated from 1 to 1.0.1 then 1.0.2 and the unlock has been affected as much as i have had to reunlock the phone as it does a factory restore.

The deal would be when firmware 1.1.1 goes live via iTunes wait a few days to see the unlock reports . If it can still be unlocked then upgrade away and the reunlock.

Once you get the hang of the process it is about 15 minutes start to finish.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Any updates will be done via iTunes. My phone has been updated from 1 to 1.0.1 then 1.0.2 and the unlock has been affected as much as i have had to reunlock the phone as it does a factory restore.

The deal would be when firmware 1.1.1 goes live via iTunes wait a few days to see the unlock reports . If it can still be unlocked then upgrade away and the reunlock.

Once you get the hang of the process it is about 15 minutes start to finish.

I think the question refers to the SIM unlock, not the application unlock.

LCaller

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
I think the question refers to the SIM unlock, not the application unlock.

That is SIM unlock.

When it has done a firmware upgrade it relocks the phone. However the current unlock programs still unlock 1.0.2 but as no one has got their hands on 1.1.1 i can't vouch for that ( and i'll be waiting while before i upgrade ).

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
That is SIM unlock.

When it has done a firmware upgrade it relocks the phone. However the current unlock programs still unlock 1.0.2 but as no one has got their hands on 1.1.1 i can't vouch for that ( and i'll be waiting while before i upgrade ).

So doing a software restore after running iUnlock or the like will re-lock it? Ouch.

LCaller

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
i guess the way to think about it is like any restore, it'll over write the file that is there and in these cases its hacked files allowing different sims. I do see this getting very boring but i figure sooner or later i will stop chasing the firmware upgrades when i have the functions i want.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
maybe this answers my question

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...e-unlocks-may-result-in-expensive-bricks.html

I'd like an iPhone the legit way on Nov 9th but TCO of £900 minimum is just too dear

Actually, if you read the discussion you'll realise that if Apple chose to pursue this course of action, the best outcome they could hope for would be a massive (and I do mean massive) wave of negative publicity. If things went badly it could result in fairly serious and expensive lawsuits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.