Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sir42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
Is there a free reader/player available that can play powerpoint pps files on the mac?

sir42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
I don't suppose there's just a standalone pps player available? This is for my grandmother who already has MS Word and MS Excel on her ibook (but strangely not PowerPoint), and I worry that having another office suite on there might confuse her.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I don't suppose there's just a standalone pps player available? This is for my grandmother who already has MS Word and MS Excel on her ibook (but strangely not PowerPoint), and I worry that having another office suite on there might confuse her.
No. Microsoft typically don't offer anything to help Mac users unless they pay for it (hence no WMP, no IE etc.). If you install NeoOffice, you can then re-associate the Word and Excel files with the Microsoft programs, so only Powerpoint files will appear with a NeoOffice icon. You can then hide NeoOffice from the Dock etc. and it will only fire up when she actually needs it.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Does she need the animation? If not, then why not just PDF it? Wouldn't that be the easiest way to view them (I'm assuming she doesn't want to create any PP presentations?)?

mvalentine9

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
Powerpoint reader for mac-Yes!

Saturday, May 14, 2011
I just downloaded neooffice (from a link on neooffice.org--free, though you can make a donation if you wish) and for the first time I can open and view pps attachments sent with an email! It took a little time, not much, to download and install. Once installed, just open it and from the file menu, click "open document" and choose what you want to view. I chose a pps attachment I had previously saved from an email, but which Adobe refused to open. With the neooffice, it opened and I could view the entire thing. According to the opening slide there was music which I couldn't hear, so I will search around further to see if I can get sound, but was just so happy to at least be able to at least view these that I wanted to let others know this works. I have an older iBook, running OS 10.4.11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.