Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Okay, so I've been working on what I think is a revolutionary way to interact with computers using a GUI, and I would like to patent it, and possibly market it. How would I go about doing this?

MLeepson

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
USA
Okay, so I've been working on what I think is a revolutionary way to interact with computers using a GUI, and I would like to patent it, and possibly market it. How would I go about doing this?

It's not an easy process. :)

I know a man who gets hired by patent lawyers to disprove patents. I once asked him how I could get a patent (he has over 20 patents issued and pending). He responded saying that it costs a lot of money and and lot of time. And the most important thing is that someone may already have a patent on it.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
It's not an easy process. :)

I know a man who gets hired by patent lawyers to disprove patents. I once asked him how I could get a patent (he has over 20 patents issued and pending). He responded saying that it costs a lot of money and and lot of time. And the most important thing is that someone may already have a patent on it.

Is there some way I can check existing patents, so I don't end up wasting my time and money?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I literally just got back from a speech on patents 15 minutes ago. I only went for free pizza and extra credit in one of my classes, but I paid attention, I promise! So I can give you a little background:

Your idea has to be novel. Meaning it can never, ever have been thought of before. If some guy 10 years ago wrote your very idea down in a lab notebook but never patented it and never spoke of it again, no patent for you, since the idea isn't new. If it's patented in some country halfway around the world, too bad. You'll want a patent lawyer, so save your money, they aint cheap. But if you want to get started to see if someone else has patented it, http://www.google.com/patents What doesn't Google search for these days?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If you're a reader of Techdirt.com, you'll know and understand how many ridiculous patents are given out.

Ideally, you need a fantastic new idea to get a patent, but if it involves tech stuff, it's usually done rather poorly. ;)

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Wow.

So, if I sold my idea to a large company, would I have to patent it first?

No you don't have to. But a (good) idea for which you have a patent is more easily valued. My personal feelings on this aside - this whole patent thing is big business. I.P. is valued, it is an asset, and goes on a company balance sheet. Then there's licensing. Companies can make big $ out of it all. But only big companies can really play this game.

It's an old book, but "Rembrandts in the Attic" talks about all this.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
No you don't have to. But a (good) idea for which you have a patent is more easily valued. My personal feelings on this aside - this whole patent thing is big business. I.P. is valued, it is an asset, and goes on a company balance sheet. Then there's licensing. Companies can make big $ out of it all. But only big companies can really play this game.

It's an old book, but "Rembrandts in the Attic" talks about all this.

Well, I don't really care about making money, I just want my idea out there, for people to use. I'd develop it myself, but I don't have the knowledge or resources.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Well, I don't really care about making money, I just want my idea out there, for people to use. I'd develop it myself, but I don't have the knowledge or resources.

That's not what a patent is for....a patent gives you the exclusive rights for you and only you to make something for the next 20 years.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
That's not what a patent is for....a patent gives you the exclusive rights for you and only you to make something for the next 20 years.

Well, in that case, there's no point in getting a patent. See, you learn something everyday.

So, how would you suggest I market this idea?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
So, how would you suggest I market this idea?
First publish it.

If you want to avoid others from patenting it, you can publish in a place like http://www.ip.com which will be searched when others file for patents. This doesn't take much, only a few hundred dollars, but stops others from patenting your idea.

Similarly you could file for a provisional patent without an attorney for a few hundred bucks. That way if someone wants to turn it into a patent, you have a year to decide...

B

Dros

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2003

To be more specific, a patent does not give you the right to carry out your idea. Generally, you would need to perform a 'freedom to operate' search based on your idea to see if any aspect of it is protected by existing patents. A patent, rather than giving you the right to do something, prevents others from doing what you have patented.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.