Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
I have a 30GB ipod video, I am almost to full capacity, I have about 2gb free, is it safe for the ipod to operate at near full?

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
they gave it 30GB for a reason. of course you can fill it up!!

it might run just a tiny bit slower if 100% full, but it would be nothing like if you completely filled up a computer hard drive. i never go below 20 GB on my hard drive as far as free space.

Tim117

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
BC Canada
they gave it 30GB for a reason. of course you can fill it up!!

it might run just a tiny bit slower if 100% full, but it would be nothing like if you completely filled up a computer hard drive. i never go below 20 GB on my hard drive as far as free space.

I usually sit at 5 gb free at a time. No joke.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Its safe to fill up your ipod till its maximum. It will not change the performance of your ipod.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
should be fine. my 3g 20GB has about 50MB free and that has been the case for the past few months. runs great!

bobznc

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
This is a valid question, let me get that across. But just seeing this topic makes me feel laugh as someone who's had an iPod since December of 2001. I applaud Apple for continuing to reel brand new customers in, but I feel so... old. Which is even more odd, since, well, I'm twenty.

Mr. Amiga500

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2007
Canada
i never go below 20 GB on my hard drive as far as free space.

That's pretty extreme, isn't it? How much swap space are programs hogging these days? It looks like it's getting bad enough to justify an entire separate harddrive just for swap. (my OS partition has 1Mb free... ahh, the joys of not having virtual memory ;))

My iPod has 1.4Mb free and no problems. I assume iPods use RAM (or dedicated partiton) for decoding swap space.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
An iPod does not need swap space like a computer hard drive does, so filling it up is no big deal.

The only interesting thing that you might experience is if you add and delete music, the drive could get fragmented over time, I suppose - I have no proof of this. I'd say that if you are going to run it that full and you have deleted lots of songs over the years with it, to restore it factory settings (reformat?) and reload it. That might increase the seek time for all songs if you were ever experiencing a slowdown.

blah blah blah - this is all in an extreme case in theory. Not that I've ever had such a problem...

AEP

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2007
i now leave a little free room on my iPod (about 1GB)

a while ago if my iPod was full, the next sync would always throw up an error (unknown error number -422 or something) and i would have to do a complete restore, and a complete re sync, never found out what the problem was or if its now fixed, its just better for me to leave a little spare room on the iPod than to have to sync 30GB of music and films just to put on a podcast or a new album.

granted this was about 6months ago, just got into the habit of leaving some space.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
I have a 30GB ipod video, I am almost to full capacity, I have about 2gb free, is it safe for the ipod to operate at near full?

Good God, man! Are you insane!? Your iPod could explode; it would be a catastrophe - MP3s everywhere! How are you going to pick them all up again? Eh? Eh? Tell me that!

Madness! Madness I tell you!

You irresponsible kids ...

Cheers!

Jim

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Good God, man! Are you insane!? Your iPod could explode; it would be a catastrophe - MP3s everywhere! How are you going to pick them all up again? Eh? Eh? Tell me that!

Madness! Madness I tell you!

You irresponsible kids ...

Cheers!

Jim

Exactly, come to think of it, your iPod will self destruct within 5 seconds once it hits less than 1 GB free.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.