Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WRXHokie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Gotha, FL
I'm thinking about purchasing a brand new iMac, it'll be my first. The only question I have is whether or not it can do dual monitors? In other words, can i use the built in monitor with another monitor side by side?

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
See the little Video Out connector?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 79,001

divedude

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2007
It works great. I got mine hooked up last weekend. The screensaver was cool, it showed different pictures on each monitor.

KennyW

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
yes and no.

Apple does sell the mini-DVI to DVI cable at about US$20 but it is not bundled with the iMac package.

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
I hooked up a second monitor yesterday. You can get mini-dvi to vga or to dvi adaptors for whatever your monitor needs. I ordered one from ebay - it was about £8 including postage, apple charge £15 here so quite a saving. Took 2 weeks to get delivered though, as it came from hong kong. (It does look like an original apple part!)

I have a few questions though:
  • Is it possible to get the dock into the middle of the screen? It only lets me put it on the left side of the left monitor, the right side of the right monitor, or the bottom. I'd like it on the left of the right hand monitor, just to be awkward ;)
  • If that isn't possible, is it possible to move the desktop icons around instead? The imac is the main monitor, so I need the menu bar and dock on that screen for easy access, but osx puts the desktop icons on the same screen and they get covered by the dock. I can manually move them to the other screen, or out of the way of the dock, but when I plug in an external disk (which I do a lot) it goes straight back under the dock. Is it possible to move them all to the other screen, or have them on the left of the screen instead of the right?
  • What's the best way to calibrate the two screens? One is a 24" imac with a great screen, the other is a cheap 19" with a TN screen. I've tried the apple display calibration, and also supercal. Supercal worked best, but the white point is different on each screen so one always looks yellow and one looks blue!

Quemadura

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2007
iMac and 23-inch Cinema Display

Hello all,

I just got a 20-inch iMac, and am wondering if there is a way to connect my circa-2003 23-inch Cinema Display (with ADC adapter) to the mini-DV port on the new iMac?

Is it possible to connect ADC --> DVI adapter --> mini-DVI port?

Many thanks!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Hello all,

I just got a 20-inch iMac, and am wondering if there is a way to connect my circa-2003 23-inch Cinema Display (with ADC adapter) to the mini-DV port on the new iMac?

Is it possible to connect ADC --> DVI adapter --> mini-DVI port?

Many thanks!

ADC is just 28V DC power, USB, DVI bundled into a single cable.

They have power brick included adapters for converting DVI to ADC.

So it'll like be a $100 solution. Using the Dr. Bott or Apple DVI to ADC solution.

Quemadura

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2007
Adc

Thank you, Sun Baked--

But how then to run the ADC to DVI brick into mini DVI port on my iMac?

Thanks!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Thank you, Sun Baked--

But how then to run the ADC to DVI brick into mini DVI port on my iMac?

Thanks!

Apple says...

For a Mac computer with a mini-DVI port, use the Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter to connect a DVI display; the Apple Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter to connect a VGA display; the Apple Mini-DVI to DVI in combination with the Apple DVI to ADC Adapter to connect an ADC display; and the Apple Mini-DVI to Video adapter to connect to a TV, VCR, or projector with an S-Video or RCA (composite) connector.

So probably about 120 dollars in adapters. And Dr. Bott likely withing $10 -- unless there is a mini-DVI to ADC adapter floating around.

Mebsat

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Florida
  • Is it possible to get the dock into the middle of the screen? It only lets me put it on the left side of the left monitor, the right side of the right monitor, or the bottom. I'd like it on the left of the right hand monitor, just to be awkward ;)
  • The imac is the main monitor, so I need the menu bar and dock on that screen for easy access

I was going to suggest with your external monitor to the right of the iMac, to switch your monitor order with the dock in the #1 monitor aligned left, then I realized the mouse behavior might be a little *non-standard*.

The menu bar can move in a standard 2 monitor setup, does the iMac behave any differently than a G4/G5/MacPro in that way?

Have you tried OnyX? It has dock options but I am on my laptop so I don't know if it allows any more options if it detects two monitors.

pjk

macrumors member
May 18, 2007
I have a 17" iMac Intel, and it works great. However, a larger screen would be nice, so I plan on buying another flat monitor to go with it. Do I need to look for anything specific, or will pretty much anything work? Any suggestions? I'm looking to spend no more than $300 for one.

Would something like this work?:
http://cgi.ebay.com/X2Gen-MW19R-19-...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1308

What cables exactly do I need to hook up a dual monitor to my iMac.

Thanks

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Any monitor with DVI-D will work. All you need is a Mini-DVI cable for the iMac, a DVI cable (that will likely come with the monitor) and the monitor itself.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I have a 17" iMac Intel, and it works great. However, a larger screen would be nice, so I plan on buying another flat monitor to go with it. Do I need to look for anything specific, or will pretty much anything work? Any suggestions? I'm looking to spend no more than $300 for one.

Would something like this work?:
http://cgi.ebay.com/X2Gen-MW19R-19-...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1308

What cables exactly do I need to hook up a dual monitor to my iMac.

Thanks

That monitor does not have DVI so you would have to get the special adapter from Apple. Look for a LCD with DVI. This one is a refurb, but it has DVI, but you need the adapter. http://cgi.ebay.com/X2Gen-MW22U-22-...ryZ86705QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

pjk

macrumors member
May 18, 2007
Thanks for the help. Another question.

So I need to get a monitor with a DVI slot, and a mini DVI cable. In this thread, a user got the wrong one. Should I get the DVI-VGA, a DVI-D, or does it matter? If it matters, how do I tell exactly which monitor/cable will work? Would something like this work?

This also looks nice, and contains both cables. Is anyone familiar with that brand (Acer)?

Thanks

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
would the new $899 apple cinema display work with the imac? it would make sense since they look exactly alike, but the new monitor has that new connector that comes on the new laptops. anyone know?

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Thanks for the help. Another question.

So I need to get a monitor with a DVI slot, and a mini DVI cable. In this thread, a user got the wrong one. Should I get the DVI-VGA, a DVI-D, or does it matter? If it matters, how do I tell exactly which monitor/cable will work? Would something like this work?

This also looks nice, and contains both cables. Is anyone familiar with that brand (Acer)?

Thanks

I think it is the same I just ordered, I hope it is correct.
48511.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.