Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gallick

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2007
Hello all, Sean here.

Just today started a year-long course on audio engineering and production that should prove muy interesting; hopefully I can learn alot through school and studio time and end up in a music industry job or wherever the fickle wind of the entertainment business ends up dropping me on my ass. :p

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
My name is Tony Montana and I'm originally from Cuba...well, maybe not. But sometimes I like to think so.

I'm actually the manager of an Apple Premium Reseller in Australia, who's just recently gotten back into playing music (analog and digital) after about a four year hiatus. I'm currently only just getting set up and am using an M80 guitar via a Marshall Guv'nor effects pedal straight into Garageband®™ on my Dual 1.25GHz PowerMac G4.

It sounds pretty awful...but I'll work something out.

LittleJo

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
I use Pro Tools LE M-Box Pro, on a Mac with the NT2000 Rode Mic. I use my labtop, wich makes me portable-- but I struggle with the fact that it has only one fire wire connection. I don't like the quality that I get from garageband, but because I constantly fight with Pro Tools I either go to Garageband or I act like a child and play with cooledit Pro on a Pc.shhh..don't tell. I have been cutting audio for quite sometime, but I am a newbie with my system. I hope that I can learn something from logging on. And venting a bit, plus its gotta make you feel good to be so smart! :p I do most of my work in the kitchen. Thats me. and u?

Oh and if you can help me solve my pro tools fight on how to hook a fast firewire for storage, when I'm using my MIDI?

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I'm Edgar, and I'm a hobbyist musician, making synthpop and trance mostly. Up until yesterday, my rig consisted of:

• AMD PeeCee running Cakewalk SONAR 5 Producer
  • Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card
  • M-Audio O2 controller
  • Roland XP-10 synth
  • Roland JV-880 rack synth
  • Yamaha AN-200 desktop synth
  • Peavey RQ-200 mixer
  • Roland MA-8 powered monitors
I picked up a new 20" Aluminum iMac yesterday, so I'm hoping to run Cakewalk SONAR in Bootcamp. :)

ZManChu

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Florida
hello! I'm Joe.

I've been a musician for over 15 years. Played professionally for about 5. Used to play guitar in a band Scars of Life. Right now just do the home studio thing as a hobby. You can check out all of my music at the following pages. I know run a bunch of somewhat popular music sites.

For those into hard rock / heavy metal...

Scars of Life - http://www.audiostreet.net/artist.aspx?artistid=1

Burning Red - http://www.audiostreet.net/artist.aspx?artistid=44699

Confined - http://www.audiostreet.net/artist.aspx?artistid=27

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
Feels like a chapter of AA doesn't it?

hi my names tim.

ive been sober for 6 months now...haha jk

i am a designer/ architect. based in north carolina and florida. Macs are a must in the design field, so thats what i mainly use it for. I do a little photography on the side. Thats me.
simple simple.

thank you for you time...haha

Soundie

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Hello there!

I´m Soundie, or Sondre (That´s my real Norwegian name, I don´t expect you to pronounce it so no worries). Anyway, I´m turning 18 at the end of this month and I´ve been playing the piano for about 10 years now. Music is really my passion in life and most of the things I do involve music. In addition to play just about anything with keys on it, I do some drumming ( mind, that is very basic ), taking some vocal courses and trying to figure out how to play guitar. And I also dj but I hardly get gigs since Im so into minimal techno and underground house ( not your average party-music ). Im not into everything but I have a quite diverse taste in music, my fav music is electronic music ( drum & bass, triphop, house, techno and lounge), rock (beatles, sex pistols, the clash, the doors, dave matthews band, the cure, bowie, zepplin, the who... anything really), jazz (pat metheney, brubeck, oscar peterson, keith jarret), classical and music for movies (debussy, satie, thackovsky (or how do you write that, haha), greig, thomas newman, john williams and others) When I make music I work with ableton live 7 and Reason 4.0, but Im looking for a VST with great orchestral sounds and strings. And my dream is to study music and make music for films when I grow up. So that´s 30 seconds about me, nice to meet ya :D

BatherOom

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2007
Hollywood, CA
Another one on to the pile

Hello, my name is Max and I seem to have a problem...

Lol just kidding. I have been a long time reader of MR, but shamefully only joined recently because of the new Mac Rumors Team Fortress 2 group started by this forum.

As for me, I have been a musician since I was three, or should I say, I have been banging the keyboard since I was three. I recently graduated from the Conservatory of Recording Arts and Science and traveled to Los Angeles for internships and hopefully a job.

With some luck, I am now assisting a sound designer/ composer for games, films and commercials and needless to say, I feel I have much to learn.

My rig is very minimal: my 2.16 GHz MBP, an Edirol Midi Interface, and my 18 year old Korg keyboard (remember the keyboard I was banging on when I was three?) That's it really.

I run Logic 8 and recently bought the ProTools Micro, so I am running ProTools 7.3.1 Everything is working thus far, but I know when to turn to when they don't.

Thanks for you time, and I will see you guys around forum.

Oh, what do I do on the side? I compose music. I try to be as diverse, but the easiest thing for me to make is electronic music, not trance per say, or techno, but orchestral dance music. I would suggest looking at my site, but I just uploaded a bunch of piano tracks I did and one cheesy Christmas song I wrote for a commercial. Enjoy!

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2007
Hello to All

Just joined MR and think its a great mac forum!

My name is Paolo de Chavez and i'm an audio engineer graduate from SAE College Elite Audio Institute...

My main expertise is Post-Production for media. To See my work check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-uXEN_eRwo#GU5U2spHI_4

My main rig setup is/are:-
Digidesign HD 192 + Digidesign D-Control Icon Control Surface
ProTools HD 7.1
Mac Pro 3.0 Quad Core 2TB 4GB RAM

At Home, I use:-
Macbook 2.0Ghz 120GB + 2 GB Ram
Protools LE 7.1.1
Mbox 2 Mini
Reason 3.0 Rewired Logic 8.0 = MiDi Supremacy
M-Audio Axiom 25 MiDi Controller

Great Forum and keep up the Audio Thread!

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Live in Dublin... it rains a lot... an awful lot... love music, sport, gadgets, anything Apple... prefer dogs to humans :)o).... work in media.... happiest when travelling or taking photographs.... favourite country other than Ireland: France.... favourite city visited: a tie between Melbourne and Barcelona (but really I just wanted to get in that I've visited both).... switched to Mac a few months ago and, yup, wondering why it took me so long.... I think I'm in love with my iMac... I've been known to whisper sweet nothings in its ear.... or is that the Superdrive? .... favourite song of all-time: One by U2.... New Year's resolutions: none.... although I should eat, drink and smoke less.... and maybe take some exercise occasionally.... favourite internet forum.... hmm, let me think.... :)

Malou

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
Denmark
Hi everybody
Im probably the novice on these boards, I play no instrument but I study music culture at Uni of Århus, here in Denmark.
This coming semester we are to have a music production class, with main interface being Cubase, but our final project we can use any program we'd like...and so I got my hands on a midi keyboard....that is basically where Im at.

joeliethegoalie

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2007
boulder,co
I'm Joel. I manage a small record label and have been involved in the music biz for 12 or so years, working in management, production, promotion, presenting, recording, A&R and just about everything else except actually playing the instruments and writing the songs. I've been a community radio DJ for 18 years and produce a weekly world music mix show called TerraSonic (available as a podcast from the iTunes Store).

I'm by no means a studio guy but do a lot of small project production at home, mostly DJ mixes of already-existing music. I've been living on Audacity for about two years now and, as soon as I upgrade my machine* I plan to upgrade to a better audio program too. Logic? Peak? Audition? I'm open to suggestions and advice. Price IS a consideration.

*I'm on a 1.5GHZ 15" Powerbook. Count me among those currently agonizing whether to buy a MBP now or wait.

Nice to be here.

Bakkalohriat

Jan 14, 2008
Boston, MA
Hello

I'm John, currently an undergraduate student at Boston University. I'm a musically inclined individual, and I recently became interested in digital audio editing when I was introduced to Garageband. I'm currently using a black MacBook with 2GB of RAM and an entry-level M-Audio 49-key MIDI controller.

CharliePermezel

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
My name is Charlie and I'm an 18 year old music enthusiast from Australia. I play guitar in all its forms, bass guitar and drums. I also run a small blog called Take The Stage.

I don't think that my music production knowledge would be as extensive as some of you guys, but I get by.

My rig isn't exactly the best, in fact, it is probably the most simple rig you can get away with. That's why I do majority of my recording work at a friends who has some somewhat 'admirable' gear.

I hope to help you guys out, and be helped out. Check out my blog too, I write a lot about music creation, music and Apple there.

HoldFastHope

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Sydney, AU
Hi all!

My name's Michael from Sydney Au, I have a 17" MBP which I'm in the process of selling and replacing with a smaller 15" MBP or MB.

I'm just starting to use GarageBand, and hope to use it to record demo ideas for a new band/solo project with my current guitar setup and a future midi keyboard.

hakukani

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Hawaii
Hi folks. My name is Johnnie, and I've been in and out of the music/recording/sound thing for most of my life. I won't bore you with details, but I started out as a sax player, went to school to become a sound guy during the analog age, was a sound guy for a looonggg time, ending up doing mostly musicals theatre.

Started digital stuff with a Mac plus with 1 meg memory and a 20 Mbyte hard drive in 1986, using a prophet 2002 with eight bit samples, and editing on SDII. I first used digital performer 1.0.

Fast forward to now. Kinda retired from the sound stuff, but I miss mixing. Played around with Garageband, now I'm hooked again.

Sooo, I recently got a Mac Pro (the new eight core jobby) with logic express. I'm using a Mackie Onyx 1220 with the firewire card for an interface.

Hope to stick here for awhile, 'cause logic 8 is DEEP--I'm lovin' it.

tremendous

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
UK? Yeah I'm OK. Stop asking.
Hi!

I'm David and I use a Powerbook G4, Presonus Firebox, Max/MSP, guitar and pedals. I guess you'd call my music..uh, experimental and improv.

Or a mess, depending on your point of view.

When not using the computer, I just record directly on to it, when I do use it, I record onto minidisc...we're not talking high tech here...

demeni

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
UK
I'm demeni and I'm an appleholic... hic!

I had thought I was a guitar player (currently - Fender Strat and Martin D28) but not played much for the last 10 years.

Currently working on a new collaboration project with a singer / songwriter on rock / pop / bluesy songs. I'm doing the backing, arrangement, recording, programming, production et all using Logic Pro 8. Everything goes though Logic and I've not put any guitar down at all so far, mainly because after a 10 year break it sounds lousy and I need practice time which I still don't have. Planning on getting first three tracks onto MySpace in the next coupla months.

Update: Aug 2008 - three demo songs posted to MySpace http://www.myspace.com/cityofrivers

Setup: Logic Studio, Mac Pro Quad 2.8Ghz, 20 inch cinema display, Emagic A26 (EMI 2|6), Red 5 Audio mic, Yamaha SY22 for midi, Genelec powered monitors (forget which model as I don't care).

I'm addicted but they won't send me to rehab :apple:

DJJONES

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Newengland usa!
well my name is dj jones. i am a dj lol. i dj here and there around some westindian clubs in the tristate area. i am apart of a sound crew called innovative soundz. we basically deal with westindian based music such as chutney soca reggea dancehall. im 17 years old and im still learning but ive got my foot into every aspect of music from production to recording to djing i do it all. i have a myspace. myspace.com/innovativesoundz u can check out some my mixes there. if your wondering why am i posting on here is because i have an iphone im currently waiting for my macbookpro to be shipped and this seems like the best forum to hear about tips and problems and different info about both the iphone and macbook pro.

my main mixing tool is acid pro 6.0. i do eveything in it. i also use adobe audition
abelton live.

any questions or concerns pm me i guess lol. this is a great forum!~!! thanks to whoever owns it lol

Tarkovsky

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2007
London/Norwich
Tarkovsky

I've never introduced myself. I'm a techy for a student radio station which includes a bit of audio diy, maintaining a webcast, doing live sound for gigs we put on, idents, pre, post and any kind of production, djing and I get to pick the new shiny things we get. Woop. Not a paid position however. Sometimes I get free beer/into clubs. Not quite enough for a mortage though. heh. Aside from that I'm guitarist in a fourpiece, a songwriter, home recording enthusiast, audiophile, OS X enthusiast, college student (I read history) and vegetarian. And I just discovered how cool ableton live is.

Oh and my equipment.

Ibook g4, Imac 24 (white intel core 2), numerous external FW/USB caddies and hds i got cheap
Mbox 2 - I wish I had a duet, I'd buy one if it had a digital out
Graham Slee Solo (Green edition) - a very nice SS headphone amp which is massively detailed, running into Some HD600s (got them for £100!)
cambridge audio azur540r, which is a DTS and DD receiver and amp, running into some kef referene 102s w/ kube and a rel storm sub (it's so musical and I like infrasound if im listening to D n B etc.)
AT4050 and SM57, focusrite voicemaster preamp
Modded jazzmaster, a les paul copy, squire jazz bass and a chearful fender acoustic>orange squeezer compressor> line six flextone 2
and this old dulcimer I found that I have yet to put strings on. Anyone know how?

vindemiate

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2008
Intro

Hello,

Names Chris and I am a mobile dj. I've been doing it for 3+ years now and love it. Took it to a full time gig last October. I love macs and now own 2 of them. I've got an iMac and a MacBook Pro that I use for shows. I run a couple of Bose L1 systems. I use Vitual DJ with xsession pro for now. Thinking about changing up the controller though. Trying to create the smallest system possible. Less crud to drag around.

Looking forward to throwing around ideas with other mac guys/gals.

Chris

TheAngusBurger

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2008
Rawr,

I'm Angus, I play guitar, piano, and sing a little. I go to a music school on Sunday, and am very into my tech, considering I'm only 12. Not much equipment at the minute, but hoping to get by Christmas-

20" Alu iMac 2.4ghz w/ 3GB RAM

Apogee Duet/Mbox

Logic Express/Studio

Couple of mics

I currently own-

Lefty Fender Mexican Strat-Brown Sunburst with a rosewood fingerboard, although I asked for maple :(

A couple of cheap guitars-lefty SG copy and lefty strat copy

Yamaha PSR E403 keyboard-Not really a synth, more of a toy really, but it works as a MIDI controller

Cheap Marshall 30w Solid-State

Boss CS-3 Compresser (buzzes like hell)

And a Jim Dunlop Crybaby

EDIT: Oh, and a very nice Fairclough acoustic

gruvypoet

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2008
Hi

How do you post a new Topic.
I have a question about a protools issue. I'm brand new to this forum and feel like an idiot that I can't even post

gadabout

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
I'm Carlo.

I record on a 20" iMac (2.16 ghz c2d) with 2gb ram. I recently got Logic studio, but before that i just used garageband.

i have an M-Audio MobilePre USB, but I hope to get a firewire interface with 8 inputs soon, so i can record a full drum kit, or a live band, with decent results.

i also have a penryn MacBook (2.1 ghz) that i use when i'm out of the house, mostly for garageband demos, or with a midi controller in a live situation.

as for microphones, i have 3 sm58's (mostly used for live vocals, but i also use them for drums for now) and an mxl 990 (it isn't great, but it gets the job done, and it came free with my mobilepre).

in the next few years, i hope to get the gear to turn my home studio (bedroom) into a project studio (one that isn't in my bedroom ,ideally...) with a macpro, a rack with gear in it, some good headphones, and better mics, monitors, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.