Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Do you have to send if off to Apple?!?

Because the battery will probably only last 2 years, £270 for 2 years of a product even then the last 12-6 months will be a bit dodgy for the battery life in use.

Quickdood

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
Do you have to send if off to Apple?!?

Because the battery will probably only last 2 years, £270 for 2 years of a product even then the last 12-6 months will be a bit dodgy for the battery life in use.

Update to touch Gen 3 which has a 60gb flash drive :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
How is this situation any different than any past iPod?

It's always been true in the past that 3rd parties have come up with fairly inexpensive deals on battery replacement. They're even already starting to be out there for the iPhone, in spite of the fact that no one should have killed their battery yet. And of course Apple offers their service. Just like any other iPod before, right?

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Update to touch Gen 3 which has a 60gb flash drive :)

So £270 ish every 2 years? Ummm, no thx! Seems like Apple are the worst for getting money out of us. Even PCs last longer. If I buy a TV for £300 it will last years, or a console, microwave, anything nearly! Apple have us in the palm of their hands :( making such desirable gadgets that the wow factor hides the value factor.

Plus the question was, do you have to send it off...

Quickdood

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
So £270 ish every 2 years? Ummm, no thx! Seems like Apple are the worst for getting money out of us. Even PCs last longer. If I buy a TV for £300 it will last years, or a console, microwave, anything nearly! Apple have us in the palm of their hands :( making such desirable gadgets that the wow factor hides the value factor.

Sorry, yes you do unless you want to try to replace the battery on your own. I still have a 3G ipod which I replaced the battery successfully. I am not sure I would try a battery replacement on a touch though prob a little more complicated inside than a 3G Ipod

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about

I'm pretty sure replacing the battery won't run you 270 pounds.

aft

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Where are people getting this "2 years" value from?

Great question I know people with very early generation ipod (even b4 color screens) who's batteries are still going fine (less than 0.5hr of usage depleted since purchase). It all depends on your battery, iPod usage and charging conditions. Take care of it and you'll get an EASY 3 years and after that who cares technology is meant to be replaced at LEAST that often.

TheBonk

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2007
Chicago
I've had my Nano for more than a year and a half and it's still running very close to the hours it is supposed to run. Where are you getting the two years from?

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Where do you people pull these numbers from?

If you do a straight $ to £ conversion, it comes to around £33. Add 17.5%, that's approximately $38 with rounding up.

Now, http://www.apple.com/uk/support/ipod/service/prices/ actually indicates we'll be charged £79 online, or £59 in store, which is still a rip off, but, half of your value.

Ohhh... I was looking at the REPAIR PRICE! Ok... how can you replace it online? £59 still a rip-off but yeah its ok. I will probably get a new iPod in a few years time anyway.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Where are you getting the two years from?
I havn't looked at the specs on the battery recently, but I think that it may say that that is when it is expected to be only holding an 80% charge, and they miss the 80% part and think that there battery will completely die by then.

Lastof

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Ohhh... I was looking at the REPAIR PRICE! Ok... how can you replace it online? £59 still a rip-off but yeah its ok. I will probably get a new iPod in a few years time anyway.

Ah, ok, that makes more sense. Online is when you fill in a form online, they send you a box, you put it in the box, send it back, and then it gets sent back to you. I guess the extra £20 is for shipping.

Frankly, I would think £59 was fair if the Americans didn't get the same thing for (at the current conversion rates) less than half the amount. Even despite their price not including VAT, it seems insane.

I havn't looked at the specs on the battery recently, but I think that it may say that that is when it is expected to be only holding an 80% charge, and they miss the 80% part and think that there battery will completely die by then.

Yeah, that's where I think it is likely to come from, though even that I'm not sure is valid for the touch, since the info of ~400 charges = 80% battery life remaining (I think those were the values) I have only heard for the iPhone. As far as I can tell, we have no such values for the touch, and since the take apart pictures clearly show that the battery used in the touch is different (at least in size and shape, who knows what else), we don't have any idea at all if it is fair to use the iPhone values as a guide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.