Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

special.jpg

New in the iPhone 1.1.1 firmware, if you press and hold on a character (such as 'o' or 'e'), you are presented with a pop-up menu with variations (accents, umlauts, etc..)

Article Link

JHipp

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2005
GA
I noticed this today, pretty cool feature. I stumbled upon it on accident -- wonder why it was never mentioned?

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Wow I didn't notice this. I was expecting the international keyboard though.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
This is awesome, i was wondering if there was every going to be support for something like this when the iphone came out, but after that never really gave it a thought. No international keyboard, but i am sure it has to be coming, along with 3 other apps for the bottom row.

mapezzul

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
Nice find.... makes me wonder what else is in there some times???:confused: Not sure why they did not mention this.

NeilD

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2007
Does anyone know if I can finally type "`" (backwards apostrophe)? I tried holding down the "'" and the "~" (tilde) to see if it would pop up, but no. I need that one ` in order to connect to my schools wifi.

Thanks!

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Why would you care?

Uhh, maybe he and/or his family and/or friends are Chinese? I'd really like to see support for Japanese input on the iPhone, which is probably shocking since I'm not even Japanese! The whole world doesn't speak English, and believe it or not there are plenty of Americans who speak languages other than English too. I've got friends in Japan whom I email and IM often.

bluefiberoptics

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2005
The iPod Touch allows users to input in Japanese, right? Shouldn't this feature come soon to the iPhone? Sure hope so.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Pretty cool addition. From time to time I will write something in Spanish so this will be nice to have. I wonder why Apple made no mention of this in the video they put out.

Lionheart

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Tampa, FL
Yeah...this is WAY more useful than backing up my personal settings, a working ToDo list, voice dialing, or some of those other trivial things.
:confused:

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Yeah...this is WAY more useful than backing up my personal settings, a working ToDo list, voice dialing, or some of those other trivial things.

Amen and don't forget notes that sync. I still have my fingers crossed for notes that sync in 10.5 but I'm losing faith.

timmmmyboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007

Jesus christ, is it every thread that someone has to whine about new features with their shopping list of what they wanted and didn't get? Can't even get through the first page without someone complaining about lack of 3g or MMS or whatever. Here's a revolutionary idea, perhaps to someone that speaks a language requiring those umlauts this actually might have been more important to them than something like a "working ToDo list" or voice dialing.

UMHurricanes34

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
This is really cool, here's to hoping they expand this to other characters. As for me, I'm still trying to figure out the caps lock thing...I have it enabled in the settings but it wont lock into caps!

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL

You may be the first person I ever met who uses voice dialing. I've tried it on several phones and it's constantly this kind of crap:

"Call Bart"
...calling Mark
"Call bart"
...calling Matt
"Call Bart"
...calling Brad
"Call Bart"
...calling Barb
"Call Bart"
...calling Robert. (what?)

and so forth. Perhaps it'll take Apple and whoever they got to do their voice interface for OSX to make it work, but I'm happy with the way it is. An easily manageable list of "favorites", which is even easier to get to since v1.1.1

Oh - and Notes isn't working for your to-do list? Works for me. May just lack the automatic checkbox? In any event, I suspect that global To-Dos in Leopard will necessitate making this feature work probably on iPhone. It'd be rude not to.

This is really cool, here's to hoping they expand this to other characters. As for me, I'm still trying to figure out the caps lock thing...I have it enabled in the settings but it wont lock into caps!

Try double-clicking the Up Arrow on the keyboard. It'll blue-ify.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.