Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stagmeister

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
With my Powerbook, whenever I shut the screen the computer goes to sleep. I was under the impression that (unlike the ibook) this is not supposed to happen? Is there a way to set the powerbook so that it only goes to sleep when i explicitly tell it to (i.e. the option in the Apple menu), so that for example when I shut the screen I can still have it hooked up to external speakers/TV/the network?

Thanks
Jason

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Plug in an external mouse, keyboard, and montor, plus the power adapter. Close the powerbook. Move the mouse or hit the keyboard and it will wake up.

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
You might have your setting setup that way.
Open your energy saver. Make sure your Hard Drive option box isn't checked. If it is, it essentially puts the computer to sleep.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
The closed-lid mode is activated when you hook up an external monitor and keyboard. I don't think it works just with speakers. However there is a simple "hack" that should work for you (link).

edit: just read this more carefully -- doesn't look like he posted the location for the Albooks.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
ericssonboi said:
You might have your setting setup that way.
Open your energy saver. Make sure your Hard Drive option box isn't checked. If it is, it essentially puts the computer to sleep.
Are you talking about "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible"? All that does is it stops the hard drive from spinning unless it's being used. I highly recommend you keep that checked. It extends hard drive life, keeps the computers cooler, and doesn't drain as much power. It really has nothing to do with sleep.

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
PA
So what if you don't have any external perphrials? There is no way to close the PB lid without putting it to sleep?!

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
PaRaGoNViCtiM said:
So what if you don't have any external perphrials? There is no way to close the PB lid without putting it to sleep?!

Nope. Not without hacking it anyway. You can't type, click, or see when it's closed unless you have external devices.

stagmeister

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Thanks guys! I would prefer to do it without hacking the hardware... I know that if you hook it up to an external monitor, it won't sleep but what I want to be able to do is basically hook it up to my speakers and shut the screen. Additionally I want to be able to leave the computer on overnight while it's hooked up to the network so that, for example, it can participate in folding@home or any other distributed computing program, or something similar. The insomnia thing looks interesting but the site (http://binaervarianz.de/projekte/programmieren/meltmac/) doesn't say whether it works with 10.4 or not (just 10.3 and 10.2)

Jason

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
The location, on the 12" 1 GHz AlBook at least, is directly below the right arrow key. If you tape say, a dime, right at that location the unit will not go to sleep when the lid is closed. I used this once for a project where I needed the machine on in my (specially designed and ventilated) bookbag to perform an experiment.

The Insomnia solution has not worked since Jaguar for the PowerBooks, at least from what I remember. I did that experiment about a year ago and the software did not support Panther on the PowerBooks at that time.

Anyway, those are your only real solutions. Even if you make the machine "never sleep" in the Power settings, it'll still go to sleep as soon as you shut the lid. If you're on Tiger, you either have to interrupt the sensor or hook up a monitor, mouse, and keyboard.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Well, you could just accept the fact that the screen needs to be open (you could have the display go to sleep, to prevent LCD overuse) for folding@home or iTunes or whatever... or you can try the hardware hacks that put your system in danger of overheating. I know which route I'd go.

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
leave it open so you can span it with the external display, it might be hard to get used to but it is really sweet
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.