Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
After I downloaded and installed the update and the iPhone restarted, it said "Activate iPhone" and then it apparently activated itself and said "iPhone Activated."

I just want to make sure I'm not the only one this happened to and it is standard for the update.

macxhead

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
After I downloaded and installed the update and the iPhone restarted, it said "Activate iPhone" and then it apparently activated itself and said "iPhone Activated."

I just want to make sure I'm not the only one this happened to and it is standard for the update.

No you are not, I had the same thing happen. I called Apple Care & the guy said I was the first call he had about the update today since i just came out barely an hour ago.

Just take out the sim card & put it back in & you should be fine. It will tll you it is activating the iphone for about 1 minute & then good to go.

-Isaac

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Any of you a prepaid customer by chance? Do you have to be connected to itunes to activate or is it over the air?

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
I am an AT&T customer, non prepaid.

You must be connected to itunes to get the update.

-I

Im not asking if you have to be connected to itunes to get the update. I was asking if you have to be connected to itunes to activate.

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007
Sorry, Yes you do have to be connected for any activation.

-I

Hmm, I wasn't connected to iTunes when my phone activated. I did the update, got the "you have to activate, this could take a while," message on my iPhone. I took the iPhone and left to get lunch. Somewhere between my house and Wendy's it activated.

Maybe the large chocolate frosty helped.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Same thing here. I thought this was normal since this would be my first iPhone update ever. Maybe it deactivates then reactivates to make sure you're using AT&T.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I thought the update said your phone will display "activated" when done. I could be wrong.

The crap thing is that like the 1.0.2 update I had to totally restore the phone.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Happened to me too. Reactivated itself automatically without me doing anything and is working perfectly now.

Good...same exact thing here. I feel much better! I was thinking that maybe I was gonna be charged another activation fee or something...

Should be good though.

Hmm, I wasn't connected to iTunes when my phone activated. I did the update, got the "you have to activate, this could take a while," message on my iPhone. I took the iPhone and left to get lunch. Somewhere between my house and Wendy's it activated.

Maybe the large chocolate frosty helped.

mmmm...nice. I've been getting the coke frosty float recently. They are goooooood!

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I had the same problem and mine was even worse because I couldn't get it to connect the itunes store and therefore I was stuck.
After I was on the phone with Apple care for over an hour we figured that my Prefernced folder in my user account was screwed up which didn't let my itunes connect to the store which inturn didnt let me "reactivate" my phone.
So finally I deleted my Prefernces folder and that seemed to solve the problem.
So all's well now.

BamaATL

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2007
It did this on prior versions of the firmware when you did a "Restore". It only took a matter of seconds for the activation to complete.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
No you are not, I had the same thing happen. I called Apple Care & the guy said I was the first call he had about the update today since i just came out barely an hour ago.

Just take out the sim card & put it back in & you should be fine. It will tll you it is activating the iphone for about 1 minute & then good to go.

-Isaac

The OP is already good to go. It reactivated on its own. My ATT iPhone on contract service reactivated. I think the firmware update reactivated all iPhones, after deactivating them, and only the ones with partner service were able to reactivate. I think this is expected behavior, and some of us saw the process working more than others.

(Just double check your bill, make sure ATT didn't charge for a new activation. They shouldn't, because the activation should have all been a local process of the firmware. But worth checking.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.