Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Hi, I just got a message saying that my Startup Disk is full and that I should delete some files.

How can I solve this? which type of files? is there a way to clean up enough to make my computer run fast again... latelly it is to slow specially when waking up... :confused:

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Hi, I just got a message saying that my Startup Disk is full and that I should delete some files.

How can I solve this? which type of files? is there a way to clean up enough to make my computer run fast again... latelly it is to slow specially when waking up... :confused:

If you haven't emptied your trash for a while, start with that. That should clear up some space.

The next place to try to save space is applications you never use. Drag into trash and empty.

You should be able to get a GB or so -- maybe even more -- just doing that.

Next, open your hard drive in list view. Right click on the window and select "show view options." Then choose "calculate all sizes."

This will show you which folders are taking the most room. You can figure out what you need to delete in order to save space.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
It's time to move things to external drives, burn stuff to CD/DVD and/or delete.

I'd start with deleting whatever you don't need. Garageband Loop and iDVD themes could be a place to start, if you don't use either application.

There are some apps theat can help you locate big folders and files on your Mac, I prefer OmniDiskSweeper (which have free one-day licenses available on Omni's page).

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I had the same problem recently - my disk actually got down to 0 bytes free and I had nothing in the trash!

Download a copy of WhatSize - this will tell you what's taking up the most space on your hard disk. In my case, one of my log files had grown to 9GB!! :eek:

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
I know lots of Mac users advise against a reformat and reinstall of the OS. but personally I would back up all the data files and make sure you have all the software disks and then do an "Erase and install"

It's nice to clear out unwanted junk and essentially have a new computer .. :)

ps Sorry .. As a former PC user, old habits die hard.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I know lots of Mac users advise against a reformat and reinstall of the OS. but personally I would back up all the data files and make sure you have all the software disks and then do an "Erase and install"

It's nice to clear out unwanted junk and essentially have a new computer .. :)

ps Sorry .. As a former PC user, old habits die hard.

I can't really agree more. Again, while OS X isn't Windows, there is still some work you have to do there. I would start with getting an external drive (that is never a bad idea) and backing stuff up. Once you've done that I'd go ahead and get Super Duper so you can back up your drive after you've moved some of the unnecessary files off of it.

I keep my music on an external as well as my iPod in the event I am mobile and need music in a hotel room or something like that. I also tend to keep photos on the external and CDs. I think you should start there and just be consistent, or as consistent as possible.

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
OK thanks.. I'll start by deleting my trash from iphoto... I just realized I had like 268 pictures there... :mad:

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
I had the same problem recently - my disk actually got down to 0 bytes free and I had nothing in the trash!

Download a copy of WhatSize - this will tell you what's taking up the most space on your hard disk. In my case, one of my log files had grown to 9GB!! :eek:

THANKS great App, I've free 8GB of useless stuff, but I found this thing within the system windowserver_list.log it has 4.1GB, and everytime I try to open it, the command app will crash. What would happen if I just trash this log???

BTW I also have mainmenu, and I just ran a deap clen cache, browser cache clen, browser history, scripts maintanence, permissions repair, etc. And now my cute iBook is running again...

thanks.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
THANKS great App, I've free 8GB of useless stuff, but I found this thing within the system windowserver_list.log it has 4.1GB, and everytime I try to open it, the command app will crash. What would happen if I just trash this log???

Haha, snap!

/private/var/log/windowserver_last.log is the file that grew to over 9GB on my PowerBook. Yes you can delete this but you'll probably find you won't be able to just drag it to trash; you'll need to remove it via Terminal.

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Damn I just opened that private/var/log/windowserver_last.log throug finder, sent it to trash, trashed, but it still appears when I ran whatsize... and now I can find it anywhere... how do I get rid of this 4GB???? :mad::(

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Damn I just opened that private/var/log/windowserver_last.log throug finder, sent it to trash, trashed, but it still appears when I ran whatsize... and now I can find it anywhere... how do I get rid of this 4GB???? :mad::(

Correction!!!!! I just ran whatsize again and that crap is out of the loop... whooooo hooooo 14.6GB FREE:eek::eek::eek:;):)

Yes yes, I know... and iPod has more room, but... let me be happy for a couple of seconds... LOL:eek:

LisaC1212

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
56G freed up

I must hold the record of freeing up 57G from users/name/library/preferences/scr

what are these screen prints for and how do you turn off mac from saving screen prints?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.