Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaVoLo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Hello all, I'm trying to decide on which brand of memory i should be getting. I know alot of you reccomend crucial memory and they seem like a great brand. However ramjet guarantees their compatibilyt with apple's computers. They make their memory to the EXACT specifications of apple's memory. I didnt see any of that on crucials site. But the Crucial Memory is slighlty cheaper in price. Im purchasing a Powermac G5 Dual 2Ghz. My main purpose for this computer is gaming. Thanx for your help :)

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Re: Ramjet VS. Crucial Memory

Originally posted by CaVoLo
Im purchasing a Powermac G5 Dual 2Ghz. My main purpose for this computer is gaming. Thanx for your help :)

You're buying a DP 2GHz just for gaming?!? You have to swim in money!

CaVoLo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
or swim in debt lol....im only 16 so theres not a lot i have to put the money i earn towards....how many kids can say they bought a top of the line apple before they bought a car....lol....im such a geek

but im not gonna finish paying it off till next may

please though my debt was not my intention of the thread....it was whether or not ot buy crucial or ramjet.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
As a Photoshopper, I use Edge RAM because I read somewhere that this is the brand that the original programmer of Photoshop uses.

True? Who knows.
Goofy rationale? Maybe.
Successful choice? Yup.

Never had a K-panic (the most common symptom of foul RAM w/OS X) since my update, so I'm pretty satisfied.

And that blue edge is neat. :D :rolleyes:

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Personnally, I like OWC. Also guaranteed compatibility. CAS 2.5 latency.

But if you want speed, find something with a low latency like OCZ or Corsairs CAS 2 chips built for dual channel operation. You'd have to take out the stock memory, or it would slow down to whatever Apple's CAS speed is. Then again, it could do that anyway on firmware.

Try e-mailing OCZ or Corsair, or Apple, to find out if they are compatible.

Apple uses good RAM, but it's standard PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR-RAM. The cheap stuff just won't run. And it has to be run in dual channel. Don't know what the stock stuff is, but I'm guessing Samsung CAS 2.5 (or 3).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.