Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cloudsfromiowa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
Whenever I get an email with a "wmv" file, I cannot open it and cannot figure out which application to choose to do so...any ideas out there for me?
Thanks

t1937r0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
Try Flip4Mac, an old copy of the no longer supported Windows Media Player for Mac (If you can find it) or a copy of VLC (Video Lan Client) ought to help.

Retired
May 16, 2006
You can use Flip4Mac to open them in Quicktime...if you don't have that, you probably don't have Perian, I recommend that as it allows you to play a variety of files in Quicktime :)

MorzillA

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Miami
OK wait a minute I downloaded WMP 9 for Mac not too long ago....ok the beginging of the month and I have had no problems playing any WMV and or related files.
When did MS drop the support for WMP?! and no :mad: I'm not advocating WMP over Flip4Mac. I'm just concerned due to the fact that I am still running Panther with out any difficulties at all....

Thank you for all the nagging, bit***ng, and nasty comments I'll be getting :)

:apple:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
OK wait a minute I downloaded WMP 9 for Mac not too long ago....ok the beginging of the month and I have had no problems playing any WMV and or related files.
When did MS drop the support for WMP?! and no :mad: I'm not advocating WMP over Flip4Mac. I'm just concerned due to the fact that I am still running Panther with out any difficulties at all....

Thank you for all the nagging, bit***ng, and nasty comments I'll be getting :)

I wasn't aware MS was discontinuing support for WMP for Mac myself, although I have heard it mentioned from time to time here on MacRumors.

Edit: Thanks for the link, now I have proof! ;)

Regardless, Perian and Flip4Mac are both UB and will run on Panther systems just fine, so don't worry about using them - I am a fellow Panther user as well. ;) I'd recommend just removing WMP and using these tools instead, but if there is something specific you require WMP (or if you simply prefer its interface/performance) then by all means stick with it and do as you like. :)

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
On January 12, 2006 Microsoft announced it had ceased development of Windows Media Player for Mac. However no significant updates were made to it since 11/2003.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
WMP still works just because it was discontinued doesn't mean you can't still get it.

t1937r0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
WMP still works just because it was discontinued doesn't mean you can't still get it.

Agreed. The page I linked to contained instructions to download it.

On the other hand, when a product vendor tries to convince me to
*not* use their product, I tend to listen to them.

MorzillA

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Miami
Note: Flip4Mac does not support content that is protected with Windows Media digital rights management (DRM).

And this would mean?!

~Shard~, and here I thought I was the only H.O.M.O. living under a Mac rock! :D

No, no, no, Since MS wont be doing any suport for its WMP4MAC I don't want it [wmp] to do some sort of MS freak out and kill my G4!......I'll look into F4M, might need to clear some HD space :(

Tya'll for the comments and the shoulder :)

Now does any one have free Mac goodies that they don't want anymore......ohhhhh gee i dunno :rolleyes: a MBP would be nice LOL :D J/K

Thanks once again!!!

cloudsfromiowa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
Ok...thanks! I went to "flip4mac" and can FINALLY see the emails that everyone feels compelled to forward to me...I know that any problems I have I can just jump on here and have a solution asap...you guys are great!!

MorzillA

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Miami
Ok...thanks! I went to "flip4mac" and can FINALLY see the emails that everyone feels compelled to forward to me...I know that any problems I have I can just jump on here and have a solution asap...you guys are great!!

awwwwww gee now i have that warm MAC feeling all over me :rolleyes:

No, sadly today was a drug free friday :( so yeah more sarcasm ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.