Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
I was thinking how much more convenient it would be to use some sort of text editor in class on my iPhone, with a keyboard, either connected by Bluetooth or by USB. Does anybody think this is even possible?

This would be insanely cool!

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Physically, everything is there to make this "possible". The dock connecter is very versatile. However, it would most likely require Apple to have created the software so it's capable of receiving input of that sort from the dock. My guess is that the whole question is moot because no hardware manufacturer will step forward to develop the hardware keyboard.

We'll see though.

linshiwen

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2007
Apple does not deem you worthy of that capability. Perhaps some 3rd party developer could... ooops, oh wait.

obleo

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
pessimist?

My guess is that apple would not be thrilled about an external keyboard of any type just because it would replace laptops for the most part. It would be very useful, especially with web services like google docs. If you had the keyboard, why would you buy a pricier laptop from them to do most of the things you could then do with your iphone, but with a lot less weight and space. Maybe I'm just pessimistic.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
My guess is that apple would not be thrilled about an external keyboard of any type just because it would replace laptops for the most part. It would be very useful, especially with web services like google docs. If you had the keyboard, why would you buy a pricier laptop from them to do most of the things you could then do with your iphone, but with a lot less weight and space. Maybe I'm just pessimistic.

If you think an iPhone with an external keyboard could replace a MacBook, you are a pessimist. People use their laptops for a lot more than typing things into Google Docs. :rolleyes:

What it might replace would be a Netbook. But Apple doesn't offer a Netbook, so it wouldn't eat into their sales at all.

Unless they decide they do want to offer a Netbook... say at MacWorld? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.