Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Kinda old fashioned? Hardly. Gmail is great and is miles ahead of most email services out there. Go ahead and get .Mac if you really want it but I'd otherwise just keep Gmail.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Gmail is rather advanced and it does offer a lot more than many mail services and to add to that it is free. You don't have to pay a dime to have an email inbox.
If you really want a change and want to try something new but not free you could give .mac a shot. It's not all that bad.

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
I can't stand how boring the theme is though! LOL

Okay... so .mac or gmail but that all.

Also, I use mail app. It is great, very professional, but is there something like incrediamail for mac. Im 13 and wana add some fun to my emails lol :p

Will gmail be compatible with something like incredamail

phil83

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
Washington, DC
Or...

Or you could download Mozzilla's thunderbird email client software. Gives you more functionality, the ability to keep your email on computer, and whole bunch of other stuff, while keeping your gmail address.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I use Excite Mail for my main account, and Yahoo Mail For registrations to websites that might send me spam.

I suggust Excite, but Yahoo is more mainstream.

Oh please no. Do not use Yahoo. Why must they place ads on the emails? Go with Gmail.

I can't stand how boring the theme is though! LOL

Okay... so .mac or gmail but that all.

Also, I use mail app. It is great, very professional, but is there something like incrediamail for mac. Im 13 and wana add some fun to my emails lol :p

Will gmail be compatible with something like incredamail

If you use Mail.app then what do you mean Gmail's theme is boring? You should never have to see it.

Ya know', maybe just wait for Leopard and the new Mail with templates. Buy that instead of .Mac.

Or you could download Mozzilla's thunderbird email client software. Gives you more functionality, the ability to keep your email on computer, and whole bunch of other stuff, while keeping your gmail address.

Yep, Thunderbird is nice. Especially considering it is free - great alternative to Microsoft Entourage. (if anyone even uses that anymore)

Edit: Maybe you would be interested in this for a little more fun. You could make a YoYo5280@yoyo5280.com for free through AOL. (As in, you can change the domain name too.) & You get 2Gb of IMAP storage.

Edit 2: Here is another thread on the subject.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I won't use email from a service provider (Cox, Comcast, etc) because then if I change providers I have to send out another mass email telling everyone to update their address books, of which some don't. This logic had almost everyone I know switched to Gmail or Yahoo.

Personally, I use Gmail then POP3 it to Mail.app. I go with Gmail because their POP3 access is free and they don't put ads at then end of emails (Yahoo you suck). Yes, I'm one of those people that hate webmail or any sort. I just want instant access on my computer at all times.

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
I am trying thunderbird. I will also keep gmailI guess. I was looking at AOL, they just made a new beta of Mac AOL Desktop or something, but i dono. LOLz.

Excite looks horrible, Im sorry. Why do you not like gmail?

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
I like the look of live mail, but I have always hated hotcrap (hotmail) and will not use it even with a name theme change. Because of stupid parental controls (uggg....) I can't go to my gmail settings page and tell it to send all my messages to thunderbird. Can I import it from Mail.app?

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I use the standard Mail that comes with OS X. Its perfect and comparable with outlook.

Otherwise i use gmail which is by far the best of its kind of email clients.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
I was a huuuuge gmail fan, but the pop3 access got to me after a while...i tend to answer a lot of my personal email on the run, and it was frustrating having to sort it twice-once on my iphone and once on my computer. I dealt with it on my treo by using the java gmail app, which aside from keeping my computer and phone in sync i would not wish on my worst enemy.

If you just need email from one place, Gmail rocks. I switched to .mac for the imap, the webspace, and the integration. I still have most of my mail filtered through gmail for easy archiving though.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Excite looks horrible, Im sorry. Why do you not like gmail?

To each his own. I like Excite because it's a smaller mail provider, and I always support the little guys.

I don't like Gmail because Google is a multi-billion dollar company, plus I don't like the way it looks, nor the way it sorts your mail.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I liked Gmail, but I was unable to obtain a practical user name, and the lack of IMAP made me look for a better alternative.

Honestly, the best I found was AOL. Unlimited storage and free IMAP, and as long as you send mail from a mail client (e.g. Mail.app) there aren't any ads.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA

To each his own. I like Excite because it's a smaller mail provider, and I always support the little guys.

I don't like Gmail because Google is a multi-billion dollar company, plus I don't like the way it looks, nor the way it sorts your mail.

There is a reason Google is so big and Gmail so popular. Again, use POP3 and don't even deal with the interface. Like you said, though, to each his own. :)

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
I use Yahoo (SBC account), GMail, and SquirrelMail (DreamHost). I use my SBCGlobal account for my public email (forums, public things, etc), GMail for, well, hardly anything, and my SquirrelMail for my "business" related things.

I don't really interact with Webmail, so they're all equal in functionality for me.:D Go Mail.app!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.