Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Photo taken today, on 2nd Ave. in NYC. Now if we could only get Nokia to design stuff more like Apple does and get Apple to be as open minded as Nokia...

Attachments

• nokia.jpg
    nokia.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 33,513

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
I love Nokia's designs, but the only thing I really hate them for is not producing any CDMA phones that work with Sprint, etc. :mad: Otherwise, Nokia's phones are beautiful pieces of technology.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Apple needs a good smack imo. The message is simple stop toying with and annoying and controlling your consumers with an iron fist.

(edit: I'm pretty sure my eyes may be messing with me, but those blue letters don't seem to share the same shadow/light with the creases on the black canvas they are sitting on. looks more like a slight transparency effect on the font. Photoshop?)

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Apple needs a good smack imo. The message is simple stop toying with and annoying and controlling your consumers with an iron fist.

(edit: I'm pretty sure my eyes may be messing with me, but those blue letters don't seem to share the same shadow/light with the creases on the black canvas they are sitting on. looks more like a slight transparency effect on the font. Photoshop?)
yeah i believe to photoshop... good eye i zoomed in on the immage and you can see the pixels change around the letters and some of the images..

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
I think this is a great idea. Although it's not too terribly high up on the clever scale, it does get the point across and pressure like this from the competition (along with criticism on other fronts) may ultimately take it's toll and hit home with Apple. I'm close to replacing the phones for my kids. I'm pretty sure they will be sporting Nokias now. lol

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Nokia allow networks to SIM lock their handsets... isn't this a bit hypocritical?

yes..but you can also buy Nokia unlocked...but if they truely believe phones should be unlocked, they wouldn't let any of there phones locked.

But yea, I don't think Nokia taking shots at Apple will make them unlock the iPhone

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle

yeah i believe to photoshop... good eye i zoomed in on the immage and you can see the pixels change around the letters and some of the images..

I don't know if it is photoshop or not, but I went to the website and the campaign is indeed "open to anything."
link

clonenode

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2002

Some of you guys crack me up. Apple can make whatever kind of device they want. Just because you buy it as it is, doesn't mean they then have to change it to suit your needs. Who are they controlling?

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
This evening I went to Nokia's store in NYC to look for an iphone alternative. I'm fed up with the whole iphone/Apple/ATT BS crap and would like to get out all this.

I was going to check out the E61i but after playing with it for an hour there's NO way that I can ever move from my iphone to that User interface - it's a total mess, is slow to navigate, complicated to figure out and just plain user-hostile. The keyboard, which people have raved about, felt awful to me too. In terms of functionality, it beats the iphone in most respects, but without a sleek, smooth UI to take advantage, it's more trouble than it's worth.

dangleheart

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Actually I like this. We are in for some entertaintment. Steve Job will see this and have to respond. Let us see what smart alec come back ad Apple comes up with.

Iphone is locked and guess what Nokia has 'No Key'... (Sorry :D)

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Some of you guys crack me up. Apple can make whatever kind of device they want. Just because you buy it as it is, doesn't mean they then have to change it to suit your needs. Who are they controlling?

Exactly, in the same way the leader of Iran doesn't have to stop enriching uranium just because it suits my needs. Just because they're in their right to do or not do so doesn't mean it's the smartest thing to do.

I've seen a bunch of posts similar to yours all over these boards. Consumers feel frustrated and post their frustrations because of:

• Lack of what simple things could be on the phone
• Apple seems to spend more time, money and effort on crippling consumer creativity then addressing missing features

And what these poster's get in response is a bombardment of "Apple knows best, you signed the agreement that says you have no say, so deal with it".

No one is saying Apple is obligated. But the company's actions and inactions as of late are losing the hearts and minds of their core consumers, no matter how you look at it.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
But the company's actions and inactions as of late are losing the hearts and minds of their core consumers, no matter how you look at it.

I think it is quite obvious that the hearts and minds they are interested in keeping are the ones who have no interest in hacks or unlocks or those people who do.

I would suggest that those people are Apple's core customers, not those who are attracted to the open phone movement.

This advertisement just underscores that notion.

If you love hacks and unlocks and all those things, go with Nokia -- or something other than Apple.

They're quite willing to cater to that segment of consumers.

Apple, by their own actions, apparently is not.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Well in that regard Sobe you are correct ( in my opinion ) . And I'd like to make it clear that personally I don't care for unlocks or hacks. I use AT&T happily and no 3rd party, non apple software.

However, what I said in the post above that which you quoted applies to those that share my perspective also. Don't care for unlocking, don't care for hacks.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
The problem with unlocked phones is that people (Americans especially) don't know what they are.​

Americans will only buy phones they hear about or find in the operator store. Most Americans also don't know what a SIM card is.

Apple probably would've sold the iPhone unlocked SIM-free if people understood that concept, but they don't, so they would've sold significantly less iPhones. Also, there probably would've been a lot of clueless Verizon, Sprint, or Alltel subscribers growing angry at the fact that they bought a phone that doesn't even work with their operator. Thus, I believe that Apple had no choice but to sell it though an operator in order for iPhone anticipation and sales to compare.

Nokia is trying to change people's ideas of phones by selling them unlocked and SIM-free, but it doesn't seem to be working. They've removed tons of their Experience stores, and probably because Americans just didn't understand it.

With that said, I love Nokia. They were my favorite mobile phone manufacturer until Apple came along with the iPhone. However, since the American cell market doesn't have the same phone philosophy as Nokia (and Europe for that matter), Nokia doesn't seem to care that much about our country, and it's hard to find one with the ever-so important 850 MHz band and a reputable place that sells them.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Exactly, in the same way the leader of Iran doesn't have to stop enriching uranium just because it suits my needs. Just because they're in their right to do or not do so doesn't mean it's the smartest thing to do.

I've seen a bunch of posts similar to yours all over these boards. Consumers feel frustrated and post their frustrations because of:

• Lack of what simple things could be on the phone
• Apple seems to spend more time, money and effort on crippling consumer creativity then addressing missing features

And what these poster's get in response is a bombardment of "Apple knows best, you signed the agreement that says you have no say, so deal with it".

No one is saying Apple is obligated. But the company's actions and inactions as of late are losing the hearts and minds of their core consumers, no matter how you look at it.

AMEN. AMEN. AMEN! I swear to GOD, if one more Apple fanATIC says "Apple is Lord, pay homage to Apple, you got what you signed up for" I'll ATT reach and slap them. I'm sorry, I love Apple products as much as the next guy on here and have for well over 10 years, but the recent OCD of Jobs and the controlling nature of the company is killing its rep. It may not effect them today or tomorrow, but eventually it WILL effect them negatively.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
I think it is quite obvious that the hearts and minds they are interested in keeping are the ones who have no interest in hacks or unlocks or those people who do.

I would suggest that those people are Apple's core customers, not those who are attracted to the open phone movement.

This advertisement just underscores that notion.

If you love hacks and unlocks and all those things, go with Nokia -- or something other than Apple.

They're quite willing to cater to that segment of consumers.

Apple, by their own actions, apparently is not.

Not true. I've been a core consumer for Apple, and have numerous friends who are exclusively Apple computer and product owners, and we have all hacked our iPhones for third party app's, graphics and ringtones. Just because the average user is misinformed doesn't mean they wouldn't want to use an open device once they have been informed. The difference being knowing that the device can do such things.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Interesting campaign. Hopefully Apple will be gauging the reaction to the 1.1.1 update.

I'm also hoping that Apple's recent strategy will result in an SDK and 3rd party apps. I'm optimistic like that.

Think of all the apps you could sell through iTMS then Apple. All that lovely money...yes MONEY (that should do it :D).

weaverra

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
Technically Apple can make any product any way they want. You the consumer vote by buying or not buying the product. Why didn't everybody who knew before the iPhone was released wasn't going to be friendly to 3rd party apps and AT&T exclusive only buy it anyway and then complain about Apple being this big meany? If you don't like the product then don't buy it.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
I'm going to do a poster against Nokia. It will be the same look but have a cow in silhouette instead of a lock.

tag line:

Phones should not have the interface of a cow's behind.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
Hopefully all the hackers will jump on the Nokia bandwagon and leave the iPhone to the core customer who needs a stable platform and is too busy to worry about hacks etc.

kunaalarria

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
Hopefully all the hackers will jump on the Nokia bandwagon and leave the iPhone to the core customer who needs a stable platform and is too busy to worry about hacks etc.

Hackers don't need to jump on that bandwagon...Nokia will unlock the phones themselves for you...and theres thousands of apps on nokias because their OS is open

I love the campaign, being a strictly Nokia user until a couple weeks ago to switch for the iphone. Apple should let people control their own devices.
Can't wait for Steve JObs reply :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.