Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sauron's Master

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2002
Saratoga, CA / New York, NY
I have several questions regarding LED and Cathode Light kits for my G5 case (coming soon ;-)). First, does anyone know of any lighting kits specifically for Macs? Second, does anyone know if or is willing to check if the G4's or G5's power supply unit has a 12V connector thing? Third, has anyone actually installed LED's or such on their Mac cases? Finally, anyone have an opinion on whether I should install them or if they would mess up the thermal zones in the G5? Thanks for any help.

Sauron's Master

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2002
I want for several reasons. First, I want my computer to fit into the aZn/gamer definition of the 'pImP rIg' which most of my friends with nice computers have. Second, LED lights are extremely cool. I mounted LED's on my cell phone, and a lot of electronics in my room. My computer must match. And finally, I wanted LED's mounted so my computer will look very nice. Besides, who doesn't like flashing lights? :p

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by Sauron's Master
I want for several reasons. First, I want my computer to fit into the aZn/gamer definition of the 'pImP rIg' which most of my friends with nice computers have. Second, LED lights are extremely cool. I mounted LED's on my cell phone, and a lot of electronics in my room. My computer must match. And finally, I wanted LED's mounted so my computer will look very nice. Besides, who doesn't like flashing lights? :p

whatever floats yer boat i guess. good luck dude.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
I've got a blue LED led light on top of my Apple 17" LCD courtesy of Antec which can be found at your local COMPUSA. It plugs into your USB port, and the cool thing about it is you can have it pulse to music as it has a built-in mic.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Re: LED Lighting Kits

G4's or G5's power supply unit has a 12V connector thing? Third, has anyone actually installed LED's or such on their Mac cases?

-Sauron's Master

I just gussied up my Quicksilver with EL wire. The 12v connector should be a molex, and the buss powers your hard drives. Use thqat and you're good.

Sauron's Master

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2002
Re: Re: LED Lighting Kits

Originally posted by patrick0brien
-Sauron's Master

I just gussied up my Quicksilver with EL wire. The 12v connector should be a molex, and the buss powers your hard drives. Use thqat and you're good.

Thanks for the info on the G4. I'm more interested on if they G5's power supply is similar to that of the G4 to see if I could do the same exact thing since I'm getting a G5 and do not own or plan to own a G4. If the G4' PSU has a 12V connector and all PC PSU's seem to, it's likely that the G5 will be similar so I guess I'm good.

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
if im not mistaken, EL wire is the stuff they use in the 17"PB keyboards, correct? ...that lighted wire, similar to the effect of neon lighting?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Re: Re: Re: LED Lighting Kits

If the G4' PSU has a 12V connector and all PC PSU's seem to, it's likely that the G5 will be similar so I guess I'm good.

-Sauron's Master

Yep!

A drive is a drive, and that's what needs the 12v.

Just watch that airflow.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by Xero
if im not mistaken, EL wire is the stuff they use in the 17"PB keyboards, correct? ...that lighted wire, similar to the effect of neon lighting?

-Xero

I think so. Essentially EL wire is copper wire with a phosporus coating, outer copper return wires and a colored insulator.

Not incredibly bright - it's soft, like a watch. But at night, it's cool.

I'll post pics when I get a chance.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by rt_brained
I don't like flashing lights.

lol. me neither. maybe i just don't "get it". i'd like to see what this pimped out G5 will look like. i'd be a little aprehensive to start boaring holes into my new $3000 computer. like i said before though, whatever floats yer boat.

Sauron's Master

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2002
Originally posted by tjwett
lol. me neither. maybe i just don't "get it". i'd like to see what this pimped out G5 will look like. i'd be a little aprehensive to start boaring holes into my new $3000 computer. like i said before though, whatever floats yer boat.

LOL, you think I'm going to drill holes in my G5? No way. I might consider it having it done as professionally as possible after I check out if the 'cheese grates' in the front will allow sufficient light in. Most likely, I'll probably check making effects using the case itself rather than drilling holes in it. And besides, external lighting is probably way easier since I can get power to it much more easily. Yes, I'll remember to send you pics or post them in about 8-11 weeks after my G5 arrives and I get sometime to mess with it. :)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
yeah, to each his own, but this is like buying a brand new Lexus SUV and then plastering the back of it with cheezy-looking bumper stickers... Which, incidently, i saw yesterday :rolleyes:

:)
pnw

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
LOL, you think I'm going to drill holes in my G5? No way. I might consider it having it done as professionally as possible after I check out if the 'cheese grates' in the front will allow sufficient light in. Most likely, I'll probably check making effects using the case itself rather than drilling holes in it. And besides, external lighting is probably way easier since I can get power to it much more easily. Yes, I'll remember to send you pics or post them in about 8-11 weeks after my G5 arrives and I get sometime to mess with it. :)

-Sauron's Master

Personally, I prefer edgy subtlety. I used two EL wires, run around the outer edge of the main side plates and under the surface of the plastics of my Quicksilver. Oh, and not one hole drilled.

In a similar vein, if I were lucky enough to be getting a G5, I'd personally place two 12" blue Cold Cathodes on the sides of the main case vertically, behind the grille. And perhaps change out a few fans on the back that would emit the same color. That's it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.