Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
hey guys where to buy macs and ipods with no sales tax (online shops)
houston tx 77079

what i mean is cheapest price + no sales tax

jhkingsr

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2007
NC
Amazon.com

I always use Amazon. Fast shipping, no sales tax, and usually a rebate on new Macs.

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
Sales taxes in the United States are assessed by every state except Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon. Hawaii has a similar tax although it is charged to businesses instead of consumers. [from wikipedia]

Although many cities / counties / boroughs in those states charge a sales tax.

jonnylink

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Although many cities / counties / boroughs in those states charge a sales tax.
But not New Hampshire.

However, it seems unlikely the OP lives in those states. Amazon is the only reasonable alternative to being lucky enough to live in a sales-tax free area.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
but isn't it true that if you buy something from a company that doesn't reside in your state, they don't charge you sales tax?

like before dell bought alienware, i bought one. they were a florida company, and i lived in georgia, so i wasn't charged sales tax

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
but isn't it true that if you buy something from a company that doesn't reside in your state, they don't charge you sales tax?

like before dell bought alienware, i bought one. they were a florida company, and i lived in georgia, so i wasn't charged sales tax

This is true, but I believe if the company has any presence in your state at all they have to charge you tax. That's why Apple charges sales tax, because they have retail stores in so many states.

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
Come to the province of Ontario in Canada. Not only will you have the privilege of paying 14% tax, but you'll be able to savour some of the finest poutine outside of Quebec while standing in line for your MacBook.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
This is true, but I believe if the company has any presence in your state at all they have to charge you tax. That's why Apple charges sales tax, because they have retail stores in so many states.

exactly. i wonder if they could charge you sales tax if they wanted (not sure if they would benefit from it or not)

jonnylink

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
exactly. i wonder if they could charge you sales tax if they wanted (not sure if they would benefit from it or not)

Not sure I understand your question

Who is they? Apple? Are you asking if Apple could charge sales tax to, say, someone in New Hampshire? If so the answer is no. Sales tax goes to the government, if the government doesn't collect sales tax than the business can't either.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
If you don't live in a state without sales tax and purchase from Amazon or another store that doesn't charge you sales tax because they don't operate in your state, then you are required to remit the sales tax yourself. Of course, usually people don't and most of the time you won't get caught if you don't, but it is technically illegal not to.

jW

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
Come to the province of Ontario in Canada. Not only will you have the privilege of paying 14% tax, but you'll be able to savour some of the finest poutine outside of Quebec while standing in line for your MacBook.

Don't listen to him! Come to New Brunswick and you'll get some fresh lobster! But no Apple Store... but you can wait a couple of weeks and buy it at Future Shop or an reseller and not get the one you really want. No lines, there is a plus.

The Stig

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003

I was up there this summer, and I have to say poutine is probably the most awesome comfort food ever invented.

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
No use to you but for us Brits the best bet is duty free when leaving the country. My friend is getting me a iPodTouch on his way to Maldives this Monday.

Saves 17.5 % VAT. Thats the great thing about high taxes, feels so much better when you get away without paying them. :p

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
I hate amazon, their super saver shipping is horrible, it can take them over a week just to process the order for shipping despite having your item in stock. Go to another place like macmall.com which has good prices without the BS shipping delays (and tax).

mets1125

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Queens, NY
I hate amazon, their super saver shipping is horrible, it can take them over a week just to process the order for shipping despite having your item in stock. Go to another place like macmall.com which has good prices without the BS shipping delays (and tax).

Amazon cleraly states there is going to be a delay if you choose Super-saver shipping. You can always pay a small fee and have them ship 3-5 business days.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
Excuse my ignorance, but what is poutine? Care to send me some?!

Fries with gravy and cheese curds. Looks disgusting. Totally artery-clogging. But tastes delicious. ;) :p Definitely uber-junk food, I miss it having grown up in Montreal.

Can't say I miss the sales tax though. Especially being right next to Delaware...

themanfromvlad

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
Montreal
Excuse my ignorance, but what is poutine? Care to send me some?!

F

Allow me to explain:

The Night They Invented Poutine by Bowser & Blue

The night they invented poutine
It was a most peculiar scene
Ginette Reno was shy and thin
The Nordiques began to win
Jacques Parizeau sang «God save the Queen!»

No one knows the precise origin
Where or when this food did begin
Everybody in Québec will tell you with a grin
It was their little village that invented the poutine

To be really authentic the potatoes must be old
The gravy must be hot and the cheese must be cold
With a journal de Montréal wherever it is sold
Served with a roll in a bowl by a troll

You put some potatoes and some cheese in a tin
But the cheese won't melt till you put the gravy in
Then it sticks to your fork and dribbles down your chin
And that's how you know that you're eating a poutine

If the French fries are greasy and the gravy's nice and hot
The cheese curds melt as they come out of the pot
But once in your stomach they congeal into a knot
If your food does that then poutine is what you've got

Some use mozzarella but that isn't really it
And they serve it at McDonalds but the French fries are ****
And I hate to be picky but I have to admit
It's hard to eat when the cook has a zit!

There's no way anyone would call it haute cuisine
But it's not really junk food it's something in between
But it's better than a burger or a Mike's submarine
A balanced diet is a beer and a poutine!

I'm thinking of driving four hours to New Hampshire to save on Apple products. With the Candian dollar worth more than the US dollar, it's incredible how much I'd save, not to mention the lack of tax.

ibglowin

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
I have had lots of luck with Macmall.com

Fast shipping and they usually have a rebate or two on just about everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.