Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
Beats me.

sense.jpg

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
does this make sense?
IMO, there are far more durable, insurable, & practical phones for a 14 year old. Most 14 year olds are VERY easily distracted, side-tracked and prone to lose, misplace, damage or destroy small electronic devices with alarming regularity.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
does this make sense?

Emm.. Im 15 (16 in few days) and have one hehe don't see the problem with this. I really use it and fits me perfectly, maybe its a bit orientated towards business people but still use useful for non-business people. Im assuming its for you (havent read your profile so I assume you're 14), Maybe its a bit too much. but who am I to judge :D although you must be over 18 to activate with AT&T but who cares.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Well, it depends... I'm 14 and I have an iPhone. I paid for it myself. I am paying for the monthly plan. Under these circumstances, I think this makes sense.

atarin

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
Chicago
Why not?

I got my nephew and niece phones when they were 8 and 10, respectively. They are on my family plan. I have bought them each three phones over the years, increasing the abilities of the phones as the kids matured. My niece is now 12, and my nephew is about to turn 14. I plan on getting them iPhones for Christmas. They have been very responsible. I think it depends on the particular child, though. Some kids are more responsible than others.

For my niece and nephew, it makes sense. They have spent hours getting to know my iPhone, and they really appreciate all it can do. Kids are very tech savvy these days, and they want more than "just a phone." I can't wait for Christmas to give them theirs! Plus, since they can't buy stuff over the iPhone other than on the WiFi iTunes music store (they would have to pay, not me), and since there are no ridiculous subscription services available, I feel safer financially (no possible surprise charges on the bill, although they have never done that to me before). The iPhone data plan is actually cheaper than the MediaNet plan I have them on now, so my bill will go down while giving them more Internet than they get now, as well. It's a win-win situation!

I have told them that this is the last time I am buying them phones (yeah, right, I can't really be sure of that - I do spoil them - but they think this is the last time), and that if they lose them or break them, they will have to replace them on their own. They know how expensive they are, and they have agreed. But like I said, it depends on the kid. If my niece and nephew were irresponsible or clueless about the value of things (especially money), then I wouldn't do it.

thebassoonist

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Davis, CA
i don't see a problem with it, but make sure to tell them to keep them close (like their pocket). i had an ipod stolen and a phone stolen when i was in high school, so just keep that in mind.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Only reason they need a iPhone is that they can go brag to their friends. Seriously.

But if they are the one paying for it, go for it.

Otherwise,

Look at the Moto Q rather than the iPhone.

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Looking at posts written in this forums seems to me that the average user of the iPhone is somewhere between the age of 9-10 as most post are a constant whine and drama queen style written words.

Age is just a state of mind. You decide.

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
well its hard to say , it matters on the person, when i was 14 i would have loved to have an iphone. But i wouldnt have bought one for myself cause i would think i would break it. but everyone is different.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I don't think parents appreciate that when their children have mobile phones they can make, and more importantly receive, calls and text messages from anywhere in the world, from potentially anonymous sources.

I've dealt with many an angry parent blaming everyone but themselves when their child receives something unsavoury on their Internationally-connected telephone, as if there should somehow be censorship or protection to stop it from happening. That said, they normally have similar views towards the Internet, thinking it should be some sort of 'Universal, suitable for all' playpen.

Sorry if this is a bit abstract. I guess what I'm trying to say is: get a Touch :) Or even better, a regular iPod.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I dunno, I do feel that 14 is a little young. While kids are tech savvy, and some 14 year olds are quite mature, I think it's better sometimes to wait for certain things until you can really appreciate them. I'm not trying to upset anyone, this is just my perspective. The iPhone is an expensive piece of technology and in my eyes I'm not sure it's incredibly appropriate for a child.

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
It's not about the age or maturity. It's about being happy. Either they just want it for the coolness factor (hellova coolness factor indeed), or to have the latest and greatest or for self satisfaction. Happiness aside, anyone who utilises less than 50% of the iPhone's capabilities and functions, is wasting money IMHO.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
This is the only thing a 14 year old should need.

I didn't buy my first cellphone till I was 20.. Why? because I didn't need it. So why should a 14 year old. Other than for emergency.

lg_vx1000_1.jpg

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
do you trust the 14 year old?

Is he/she likely not to break the iPhone?

If so, why not?

Lots 14 year olds have iPods, lots have cell phones...why not mix the 2 together?

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2007
I would be worried about a 14 year old playing with it too much to the point where it was distracting them from school/school work... experiencing that 1st hand in college, haha

oseary

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Columbia, MO
Well, it depends... I'm 14 and I have an iPhone. I paid for it myself. I am paying for the monthly plan. Under these circumstances, I think this makes sense.

Agreed. If one buys the unit, pays for the units recurring costs, then yea... let he/she have one... Why not? Everyone (not just teenagers) is annoying as all heck in public with their phones!

powersrus

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2007
My Son Is 14...had Just Turned 14 Four Days Before Iday...he Sold His PS3, An Old DS, Some Games , Turned In Some Pop Cans And Used His Birthday Money To Buy A Iphone....we Waited In Line For 2 And A 1/2
Days...he Is A Very Responseable Kid And After All He Did To Get One ......why Not!!!!:)

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
I guess it really depends on the kid, but in general I wouldn't. If I have a 14 year old, I would NOT give them an iphone. If they saved money and bought one and paid for it themselves they could have one. But I wouldn't be spending any money on it.

The Stig

AND, I'm Canadian, so he is out of luck anyway. My kid wouldn't get an ipod before me anyway!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.