Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavherzog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2005
Columbus, WI
Last summer, I had a 17" iMac G5 (pre-iSight) repaired (for free, obviously) under Apple's iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Video and Power Issues.

iMac simply died one day. I brought it in to my local Apple Authorized Service Provider, they replaced the logic board and power supply, and I had it back in less than 48 hours. Painless.

I have a friend who bought the same make/model iMac and his just died as well (same symptoms). HOWEVER, the part of the stand that has the serial number busted off some time ago and he does not have it. So, when he took it into the AASP, they wouldn't touch it because they could not locate the serial number.

Now, he DOES have his original invoice with order number, part number, etc from purchasing this iMac from Apple (so, it's not like he's got a hot/stolen computer...he's got proof of purchase).

These iMac's are still EXCELLENT machines (his display is still PERFECT)...I'd hate to see this system go unrepaired. Anyone have a suggested course of action to take with Apple??

[ this system is most definitely covered by the repair extension program and is displaying the classic symptoms ]

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
Does he have the original box for the iMac? You might be able to take the iMac and the box to the store since the box should have the serial number.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Go to About this mac under the :apple: menu. Click on the line that says Version 10.4.x, and it will change to the build #. Click it again, it goes to the serial number. If you can boot it up at all (I don't know what the symptoms are) that'll be good.

mavherzog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2005
Columbus, WI
Go to About this mac under the :apple: menu. Click on the line that says Version 10.4.x, and it will change to the build #. Click it again, it goes to the serial number. If you can boot it up at all (I don't know what the symptoms are) that'll be good.
The system is dead. The repair requires the replacement of the power supply and the logic board.

collinmac

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2006
Chilliwack, BC
I work as a technician for a nationwide electronics retailer in Canada. We've seen quite a few G5 (Imacs especially) that were affected by bad capacitors. Most repairs we do is just swapping with new caps on the logicboards and it works great.

mavherzog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2005
Columbus, WI
I work as a technician for a nationwide electronics retailer in Canada. We've seen quite a few G5 (Imacs especially) that were affected by bad capacitors. Most repairs we do is just swapping with new caps on the logicboards and it works great.
Is it visually apparent that the capacitors are bad?

Xfujinon

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
Bummer...

I am getting a free iMac G5 (Rev A) within the next week, but I would be supremely annoyed if it turned out to be dead (or dying).

If I am not the original owner, but have copies of all of the documentation, will Apple still repair it?

mavherzog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2005
Columbus, WI
I am getting a free iMac G5 (Rev A) within the next week, but I would be supremely annoyed if it turned out to be dead (or dying).

If I am not the original owner, but have copies of all of the documentation, will Apple still repair it?
Why would you be "supremely annoyed"...especially if it is free?

If you qualify under the repair extension program, Apple will, indeed, fix it for free.

mavherzog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2005
Columbus, WI
UPDATE!

He was able to find the serial inside as WELL as on the original box (which he failed to mention he still had).

He has verified that his system qualifies for the repair extension program and is well on his way to getting his power supply and logic board replaced for free. :)

johnsawyercjs

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2007
Part of stand broken off??

the part of the stand that has the serial number busted off

The iMac G5 stand is pretty hefty--I wonder what kind of event broke off the bottom of the stand and left the rest of the iMac intact??

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
The iMac G5 stand is pretty hefty--I wonder what kind of event broke off the bottom of the stand and left the rest of the iMac intact??

Perhaps it was removed to use on a wall-mount.

Apple really should have put the serial number somewhere else. What if I had multiple systems, and the warranty had expired but I had AppleCare on one of them. I could just take the foot off the one with AppleCare and move it to the machine needing repair.

That could work out really well for a computer lab. $150 to $200 to get AppleCare for say 50 similar machines ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.