Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Is this a new option under the add field under the contacts menu? Either way, what exactly does it mean or do?

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Is this a new option under the add field under the contacts menu? Either way, what exactly does it mean or do?

It there for say.. well here is an example:

Say your the President of a large nation. Only problem - you can't really read, even though our wife is a librarian. So your librarian wife enters into your phone book on your phone the correct way to say a diplomats name, that way when you go to call French President Sarkozy "[sar-KOzee]" you don't mess up his name or the name of their country [frans].

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/09/bush-speech-has.html

Telp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Haha, alright thanks, i wasnt sure if there was a greater meaning to it. It is new though right? i dont remember seeing them there before...

Gonzlobo

Suspended
May 9, 2007
Albuquerque
It there for say.. well here is an example:

Say your the President of a large nation. Only problem - you can't really read, even though our wife is a librarian. So your librarian wife enters into your phone book on your phone the correct way to say a diplomats name, that way when you go to call French President Sarkozy "[sar-KOzee]" you don't mess up his name or the name of their country [frans].

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/09/bush-speech-has.html

Here's another person criticizing another's intelligence, yet they don't know the correct your/you're usage. You gotta laugh sometimes.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Here's another person criticizing another's intelligence, yet they don't know the correct your/you're usage. You gotta laugh sometimes.

Theres a difference between writing on a blog and being the president of a nation. You got to laugh sometimes, but right now im laughing at you for actually saying that. Lighten up man.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA

Im not the president of a large country, I don't expect anyone to think Im smart - or even expect me to use proper grammar on a bulletin board were no one even knows me. Im surprised you didn't point out my other typo's to be honest.

(You do know the proper usage of you're Im assuming - you know you use it instead of 'you are'... like you're reaching here...) :p

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Im curious to know why so many threads on internet forums side track into debates and disputes regarding spelling. There should be a statistic out there that states "an unusually high amount".

This isn't a place where people tediously review their submissions as if it were a final thesis for their doctrine degree. Typing your instead of you're on a board means absolutely nothing. its just casual typing

pendolino

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2007
Im curious to know why so many threads on internet forums side track into debates and disputes regarding spelling. There should be a statistic out there that states "an unusually high amount".

im guessing it may be noobs trying to flash/flex their mental muscles or just pedants like me. after you've done it for a while you get bored so that's why i say they must be noobs.

i agree: stick to the point. people have limited time.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

This isn't a place where people tediously review their submissions as if it were a final thesis for their doctrine degree. Typing your instead of you're on a board means absolutely nothing. its just casual typing

It's just a nicer version of Godwin's Law.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

I don't expect a thesis out of you, but it's hard to feel like you're having an intelligent conversation with someone when basic grammar/spelling are ignored.

Surrix

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
Is this an additional field parsed by Voice Control for names with odd pronunciations?

Pinstrypsoldier

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2013
Im not the president of a large country, I don't expect anyone to think Im smart - or even expect me to use proper grammar on a bulletin board were no one even knows me. Im surprised you didn't point out my other typo's to be honest.

(You do know the proper usage of you're Im assuming - you know you use it instead of 'you are'... like you're reaching here...) :p

If you're going to (for some strange reason) pull people up on their use of spelling and grammar (especially for something as arbitrary as 'your' and 'you're') then you may want to discover the proper usage for 'were' and 'where'.

Also, in words like 'I'm' you need to make sure there is an apostrophe in place of the 'a' in 'I am'. Rather than just putting 'Im' with no apostrophe. If you're going to put an apostrophe in 'didn't' like you're supposed to, you might want to put it in the word 'I'm' like your supposed to.

Just saying......retard.:D

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
If you're going to (for some strange reason) pull people up on their use of spelling and grammar (especially for something as arbitrary as 'your' and 'you're') then you may want to discover the proper usage for 'were' and 'where'.

Also, in words like 'I'm' you need to make sure there is an apostrophe in place of the 'a' in 'I am'. Rather than just putting 'Im' with no apostrophe. If you're going to put an apostrophe in 'didn't' like you're supposed to, you might want to put it in the word 'I'm' like your supposed to.

Just saying......retard.:D

Watch who you're name-calling. This thread has been completely DEAD for 4 years until you dragged it up.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Phonetic field is useful for languages like Chinese and Japanese where the written form of the language doesn't necessarily tell you how to pronounce names. I know that sounds very weird, but it's a quirk of the Chinese / Japanese writing system, where some letters (called "characters") represent ideas rather than sounds.

It is also useful if you have a name that is spelled in a way where Siri can't figure out how to pronounce it correctly. You type what it sounds like in the phonetic field, and Siri will pronounce that instead of how it's spelled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.