Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider publishes a screenshot from the latest development builds of Mac OS X Leopard which reveal that Notes will likely sync with Leopard's Notes functionality:

notes.png

The updated Mail client under Mac OS X Leopard offers Notes functionality that closely resembles the iPhone's notes application:

mail_gallery_notes20070611_500.jpg

Article Link

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Welcome Leopard iPhone syncing

This is hopefully the beginning of lots more integration between the iPhone and OS X machines.

Yuppi

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2007
Excellent *MrBurnsKindOfExcellent*
There already is a todo support in calendar right now. Even though it does not seem to be very advanced. I would really love that to sync with the iPhone too.
But at first the iPhone needs to be available in sweden :(

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Excellent *MrBurnsKindOfExcellent*
There already is a todo support in calendar right now. Even though it does not seem to be very advanced. I would really love that to sync with the iPhone too.
But at first the iPhone needs to be available in sweden :(

Leopard moved the todo list from the calendar to mail.app

nato64

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
Orange, CA
I'd also love ToDo lists. I'm using 9a559 right now and the universal ToDo list service is awesome. It just needs to goto the iPhone...

And I don't think Notes and ToDo items will sync using iTunes. Mail puts Notes and ToDo lists on your mail server so they can sync with other computers easily.

And I think the reason they've held off on incorporating a ToDo list app on the iPhone is because the way it syncs will be online instead of through iTunes. I think once Leopard hits the streets we'll get iPhone software update 1.2 :)

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
Sweet! Just another little thing that makes Leopard that much better than windows! :p :apple:

Hey, Windows users need some TLC, too. When do they get Notes syncing?

I'm a bit displeased that it appears for the moment that you'll need to pair Leopard with the iPhone to get Notes syncing - I guess that a lot of $100 credits will be going to pay for Leopard...

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
ToDo Lists

I'd also love ToDo lists.

That's the reason they've held off on incorporating a ToDo list app on the iPhone. I think once Leopard hits the streets we'll get iPhone software update 1.2 :)

Yes, however, ToDolists have been moved to the mail.app in Leopard. This will be easier to integrate with the iPhone. Right now, I'm running a Great ToDoList 3rd party app on the iPhone. Leopard, I'm sure, will offer dramatic integration -- we shall soon find out.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Yes, however, ToDolists have been moved to the mail.app in Leopard. This will be easier to integrate with the iPhone. Right now, I'm running a Great ToDoList 3rd party app on the iPhone. Leopard, I'm sure, will offer dramatic integration -- we shall soon find out.

I would love to see over the air .mac syncs.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/mail.html

Noteworthy indeed.

Ever email yourself a reminder that gets lost in your inbox? Mail lets you write handy notes you can access from anywhere. Brainstorm ideas, jot down meeting notes, scribble a phone number — notes can include graphics, colored text, and attachments. Group notes into folders or create Smart Mailboxes that group them for you. Since your notes folder acts like an email mailbox, you can retrieve notes from any Mac or PC.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Wake me up when my $600 phone has a to-do list (ala my free Verizon work phone).

Sheesh. :mad:

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
Um, what about tasks?

Syncing notes is good. No complaints. But how about tasks? I can't even fathom how Apple released the iPhone without task syncing? What on earth were they thinking???! It's absurd.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I cant wait to see what other features the iPhone will have when leopard comes out.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Syncing notes is good. No complaints. But how about tasks? I can't even fathom how Apple released the iPhone without task syncing? What on earth were they thinking???! It's absurd.

If you look at mail in 10.5 it has notes support and... To Do's... both are saved in a mail folder... Im sure you can put the dots together there:)

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/mail.html

Noteworthy indeed.

Ever email yourself a reminder that gets lost in your inbox? Mail lets you write handy notes you can access from anywhere. Brainstorm ideas, jot down meeting notes, scribble a phone number — notes can include graphics, colored text, and attachments. Group notes into folders or create Smart Mailboxes that group them for you. Since your notes folder acts like an email mailbox, you can retrieve notes from any Mac or PC.

I don't quite get it. Does this mean you need an IMAP/.mac email account to sync the Notes folder to a remote server? What about people with just one Windows PC, an iPhone, and no Mac? Will they be able to sync their Notes eventually?

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
What if I don't use Mail.app? Will this notes thing in Leopard also be a stand alone app? Or do I have to load up Mail just to use Notes alone? :confused:

Anyone know?

Notes is actually system wide in 10.5 :

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/03/leopard_notes_to_sync_with_iphone.html

"In its public previews of Leopard, Apple has demonstrated a new feature dubbed "Notes," which has been commonly showcased as part of Mail 3.0 but is actually a new system-wide feature that can be accessed from just about anywhere in the OS."

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I don't quite get it. Does this mean you need an IMAP/.mac email account to sync the Notes folder to a remote server? What about people with just one Windows PC, an iPhone, and no Mac? Will they be able to sync their Notes eventually?

Thats a good question... that quote is from Apple so Im guessing that any email account will be set up with a folder where the notes are stored/mirrored on the mail server (pop or IMAP), setup on a PC via iTunes for the iPhone I'm guessing, but I could be wrong...

Does Outlook have a notes feature? I believe it has a task or To do option....

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California

BillyShears

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2003
Rich text, Wireless syncing

Regarding the first screenshot: Why wouldn't the iPhone be able to edit rich text? I thought the iPhone's mail client could edit rich text.

Also, if notes are stored in a mailbox, shouldn't they be automatically synced with your iPhone whenever it downloads your mail? Then it would just put notes from the "notes" folder into the separate iPhone app. Would be interesting, as it would be wireless syncing for the iPhone.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Thats a good question... that quote is from Apple so Im guessing that any email account will be set up with a folder where the notes are stored/mirrored on the mail server (pop or IMAP), setup on a PC via iTunes for the iPhone I'm guessing, but I could be wrong...

Does Outlook have a notes feature? I believe it has a task or To do option....
outlook has had note, and task since like windows 98. It is very odd that apple hasn't created tasks into osx until now. So far ahead yet...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.