Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tpth

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Hello all,

Hoping for some help. My girlfriend has a 17" G4 Powerbook - she recently bought it second hand. It's one of the late models, with a 1.67 GHz processor and 2GB of RAM installed. It runs like a dream, except for one thing - it has a propensity to freeze occasionally.

They're not kernel panics - they're hard freezes, where everything locks up completely. Can't move the mouse, can't force quit, nothing - the only thing to do is switch off and on again.

I've looked through the logs and can't find any crash reports, so I'm at a loss to what's causing this. The only lead I have is that it only seems to happen when the machine's running on battery - it's never frozen when the power cord's plugged in. I thought it might be overheating, but it froze this morning after only 5 mins of use, so now I'm stumped.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this? Is it a known issue?

Any help much appreciated.

tpth

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007

Dandaman

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
soCal
Just wanted to say that my powerbook had the same problems as stated and I did as instructed in the link. Worked like a charm. No more freezes on my good ol' pbook.

Thanks for the link KingYaba!!

daniel

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
It's amazing how much little things count. I didn't know about this common issue at all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.