Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyephone

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Hello all, new member here, long time reader of these great forums.

I recently purchaced a 20" aluminum imac as my first apple computer after falling in love with the company that made my wonderful iphone.

I love the idea that the speakers are built in to the imac, but they provide no low end bass whatsoever, so I am looking into adding a subwoofer to the existing sound system. What I would like to know is if something like this is possible at all with the imac being that if I plug in an external powered sub to the headphone jack on the rear of the unit the built in speakers will shut off.

Is there anyway to actually integrate a subwoofer along side of the existing imac speakers? Any help will be greaty appreciated!

Thanks,
Eyephone

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I think people will think if you are going to use an external sub then why not just use an external 2.1 sound system which will provide better sound quality.

Jimmdean

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2007
You might try the SRS iWow iTunes plugin and use it instead of the iTunes equalizer. Unless you are listening to a lot of Hip-Hop/Rap, this should give you more of the low-end you're looking for. I'm pretty impressed with what it can do...

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
Well, it's not an audio receiver, so there's no subwoofer out rca jack or stereo mini jack, obviously... but you could get a 2.1 system like a previous poster suggested, either USB or SPD/IF, like the Harmon-Kardon Soundsticks, Altec-Lansing VS2321 or FX6021 (personal fave, with a remote and head unit), or the JBL ones that have two satellite speakers and a subwoofer that look like UFOs or flowery things (I think they're hideous but they sound ok).

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Well, it's not an audio receiver, so there's no subwoofer out rca jack or stereo mini jack, obviously... but you could get a 2.1 system like a previous poster suggested, either USB or SPD/IF, like the Harmon-Kardon Soundsticks, Altec-Lansing VS2321 or FX6021 (personal fave, with a remote and head unit), or the JBL ones that have two satellite speakers and a subwoofer that look like UFOs or flowery things (I think they're hideous but they sound ok).

I use a Sony 5.1 system connected to the optical digital input by S/PDIF cable. The built-in speakers, while very good quality, were never enough for me.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
During day I have the iMac running through my NAD preamp, during the night I use the built in speakers, to avoid bothering anyone else in the house, the iMac speakers are a more personal experience.

The internal speakers are alright at best. Get yourself a nice 2.1 system like suggested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.