Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kml86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
12" Powerbook
OSX 10.4.10
Purchased: 07/2004
Battery changed: Fall 2006

My computer has been shutting down randomly. This is what happens: first, a dialogue box randomly appears asking whether i want to sleep, restart, shut down, etc. I try to cancel, but the prompt continues to appear until it finally shuts down on its own. I turn on the laptop again and it either goes back to the windows I had open before the prompts or it won't turn on at all. It may take three or four presses of the power button to turn on again. It is a seemingly random occurrence because it can happen three times within ten minutes or be fine for a couple of hours. In some cases, when it does shut down and I try to turn it on, there is a buzzing sound and the light flashes from the button that opens the lid.

Also, the weirdest thing.... I shut it down before I go to bed, around midnight and in the middle of the night (2-3am) it turns on by itself. I haven't set any timers or anything that would wake it up.

I have reformatted twice. Same problem.

Anyone know what is going on?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Run the hardware test CD and see what comes up. Sounds like a definite hardware issues if you've erased and reinstalled 2 times with the same issue.

Hockeypuck

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
I would take a stab at the Top case. That's the dialog you get when you push the power button down, so it may be shorting and acting up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.