Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
I awoke today to find my powerbook "On" the fans were not running but the case was very hot and the caps lock key lit up when pressed, something that happens only when the computer is on.

So, I try to shut the computer down by pressing the power button.It doesn't work so I remove the battery and let the computer cool down.

After, I starp up the computer, it starts and I can hear the HD begining as well.The keyboard lights up as well.

THE PROBLEM
The display doesn't work, not even when connected to an external power supply.

Also, I think the fans aren't coming on for some reason.

So, effectively I have been able to close/start the computer but there seems to be no video coming out of it.

Hockeypuck

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Let it cool down for a while, then try resetting the power manager. Details on how to do that vary depending on your exact model. What type of Powerbook are we talking about here?

Hockeypuck

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Do you have an external monitor to test the display on?

Also, if I remember correctly, PMU reset on this machine is Command+Option+Shift+Power Button? It should turn right off when you do that if there's power to the machine.

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
Do you have an external monitor to test the display on?

Also, if I remember correctly, PMU reset on this machine is Command+Option+Shift+Power Button? It should turn right off when you do that if there's power to the machine.

I've tested it on an external monitor. It doesn't display anything, the monitor doesn't recognize any input, whereas in the past when plugged in it worked perfectly.

I've tried the PMU reset. My computer starts okay and shuts down when I tell it to now, just no video.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Good news, Bad news, and I'm sure you'll hate me for posting this

I remember something like that happening to my 2004 PowerBook 1.5ghz, 15". I remember it's fixable if you try but I don't remember how... It's been too long. At least take out the ram and put it back in... Try using it in Target Disk Mode and have another mac boot off it. Do some tests...

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
Thank you!!!!!! It was the RAM... and to think, I was just headed out to buy a cheap windows machine :S

I remember something like that happening to my 2004 PowerBook 1.5ghz, 15". I remember it's fixable if you try but I don't remember how... It's been too long. At least take out the ram and put it back in... Try using it in Target Disk Mode and have another mac boot off it. Do some tests...

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
Good to hear you fixed it and buying a POS Windows machine would have been a mistake. I know what its like to have a dying PowerBook but yours is too new to die yet:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.