Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does the iPod touch REALLY Need a Screen Protector?

• Total voters

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
It's driving me crazy!:eek: My dad is paranoid and is leaving the film that shipped with his on till someone makes one for it and I hope to get one in the next couple of weeks for my bday and I don't think it needs it. I remember when I got my 5g iPod he put I screen protector on it and I went crazy, I think it ruins watching videos. So do you really think its that great of an idea?

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
The screen is the last part on the touch that would ever need additional protection. Through normal unprotected pocket use, my screen is absolutely flawless. The mirror on the back though, :eek:

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
screen= absolutely not. It is extremely scratch resistant
back= yes. It is extremely scratch prone.

What I would do is buy the invisible shield and only use the back.

taficke

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2007
It's driving me crazy!:eek: My dad is paranoid and is leaving the film that shipped with his on till someone makes one for it and I hope to get one in the next couple of weeks for my bday and I don't think it needs it. I remember when I got my 5g iPod he put I screen protector on it and I went crazy, I think it ruins watching videos. So do you really think its that great of an idea?

Yes its a waste of money but if your dad says to i would go ahead and do it becuase it saves the back. Front wont get any scratches even if you took a razor blade to it now the back on the other hand just sitting on a table will scratch it.

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
Yes its a waste of money but if your dad says to i would go ahead and do it becuase it saves the back. Front wont get any scratches even if you took a razor blade to it now the back on the other hand just sitting on a table will scratch it.

It has nothing to do with the back only the front screen of the iPod:cool:

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
my iphone screen scratched.
can happen to ipod touch.

it is a tiny scratch the size of a grain of sand, but still there.

iCantwait

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Ido t knowhow but a got a scratch about one inch long on my screen its hard to do but it happened so I thing it will get damaged in the long term
with sucks.

And this thread is about the front not the back we all know that is easy to scrach. I did with a fingernail and was deep. :p

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I have a motorola slvr l7 and it has a similar glass plate for the screen. I've had the slvr for over a year now, and it has no scratches :) even when I ocasionally put my phone in a pocket with keys hehe.

Something4Kate

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2007
London
I'm paranoid about the screen too and have done exactly the same thing as your dad - the film it came with is staying on and I've bought normal screen protectors for camera LCDs etc for when the film eventually comes off :eek:

Screens invariably get scratched as tough as they may be. And my viewing pleasure will be more damaged if a permanent scratch appears on the screen as opposed to watching through disposable screen protectors.

Just my opinion tho.

SFK

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
no offence but your opinion is uneducated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzbxpSwDetk

now, any scratch that will scratch this thing will not be limited or prevented by a piece of plastic

the plastic you're leaving on there is heating up the iPod and ruining your viewing experience

GUYS!!!...THE iPOD TOUCH DOESN'T NEED ANY SCREEN PROTECTION

i wish people would leave it alone

WOW this is what I need to show him but I'm shocked that it didn't scrach with a razor blade:eek:

duraace

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
no offence but your opinion is uneducated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzbxpSwDetk

now, any scratch that will scratch this thing will not be limited or prevented by a piece of plastic

the plastic you're leaving on there is heating up the iPod and ruining your viewing experience

GUYS!!!...THE iPOD TOUCH DOESN'T NEED ANY SCREEN PROTECTION

i wish people would leave it alone

Hear hear. Just enjoy it. The front screen is tough as nails. Not one scratch after 3 weeks in various pockets.

partytime2

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2009
warning

I have a screen protector on my ipod touch, and it had a few little bubbles in it, and i seem compelled to try to make things PERFECT (it bothers me if it isnt) so i took off the protector and wiped the screen with the special cloth provided with the case and protector. Then I saw dirt on the protector on the side that goes against the screen and stupidly wiped it with the cloth. BIG MISTAKE the protector got filthy and it looks terrible on the ipod touch, much worse than before. Sometimes, I'm so dumb.

partytime2

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2009
quck question

o does anyone know how i could clean the screen protector or is it impossible and ruined?

thx

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
does not need a protector at all,

it looks terrible when you put a protctor on it (they never fit right, and they are the ones that will get scratched as soon as you put it in your pocket) you won't be replacing the protector everyday so its pretty futile putting one on in the first place, yet the people who don't put one on looks awsome with no scratches - at least in my experiance

partytime2

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2009
Protector

I ended up goins out and getting another. I just feel better having one because I don't feel I need to worry as much about jamming it quickley in my pocket so the teacher won't catch me with it. My screen protector is pretty good almost bubble free, I am fairly good at putting them on.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Yes. My iPod touch's front is pretty scratched up without one. I got one only after it got scuffed up. The back too. . . :(

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Mine is all scratched to hell and back, and I don't care. I'm not saving it for the next owner. My car doesn't have a bra and guests are welcome to sit on my furniture. I paid for it and i'm going to use it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.