Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
So I waited about 3 hours to rip and convert an episode of family guy from dvd and now iTunes is saying it won't go on my iPod. Why would this be? Here's the file..

Picture1-2.png

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I love my Handbrake 0.9.0

So I waited about 3 hours to rip and convert an episode of family guy from dvd and now iTunes is saying it won't go on my iPod. Why would this be? Here's the file..
My GUESS is that you used the Main profile instead of the iPod basic profile. Handbrake works perfectly. I love it. Did you notice you can start a rip and then change image sources and keep loading the queue with as many sources and rips as you can muster all the while it keeps working? This is a fantastic improvement to the program I only yesterday discovered.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
I actually did use the iPod profile from the drop-down menu :(.. .so it can't be that.

Can anyone help me allow the videos to play under iTunes? Or even suggest what went wrong? I spent about 9 hours total for all three episodes and I hope I didn't waste all that time. :confused:

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Not really with the information given... we'd need to know all of the settings used in HB.

I used the following:

MP4 file, however under preferences it's checked to use .m4v so they came out as such.

The h.264/AAC codec

framerate same as source

x.264 iPod encoder, not main

2-pass encoding with turbo first pass

avg bitrate of 500 kbps

audio bitrate of 128 kbps / 44.1khz

320x240 picture settings

Should I send these files through iSquint?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
m4v Could Be The Culprit

I used the following:

MP4 file, however under preferences it's checked to use .m4v so they came out as such.

The h.264/AAC codec

framerate same as source

x.264 iPod encoder, not main

2-pass encoding with turbo first pass

avg bitrate of 500 kbps

audio bitrate of 128 kbps / 44.1khz

320x240 picture settings
I never use that .m4v suffix - always .mp4

I also use 29.97 fps instead of same as source. Otherwise that looks ok to me.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
I changed the file extensions to .mp4 and they still don't sync :(
Have you tried dragging them into a new playlist on the iPod manually? I never sync anything but podcasts & photographs.

1. Highlight the iPod in iTunes interface.
2. Press the + button on the bottom of the list window to make a new playlist called "My Favorite Movies" directly in the iPod.
3. Highlight it in your list of playlist folders in the iPod.
4. Drag your encodes directly into that interface window from the folder they are in on your hard drive.
5. They should copy directly from a Finder window into that playlist on your iPod.
6. They don't have to be in iTunes first.
7. Navigate to that folder in your iPod under video.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
When I click "+", the playlist doesn't appear under the iPod. Also, where is the folder you're asking me to highlight in step 3?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
There was none when I did... the only three submenus were music, movies, and tv shows.
That's right. You create new ones with the + Button on the bottom of the column while you have the iPod highlighted. Or simply drag existing playlists from your iTunes Playlists into the iPod one at a time.

Looks to me like you don't have much understanding of the iTunes iPod interface. You might want to study the help files.

corynnia

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
Same Problem For Me

I used Handbrake to convert a DVD just the other night and it worked fine. I tried the exact same process over today and now when I try and move the DVD from my iTunes to my iPod Touch it tells me the disc "was not copied because it cannot be played on this iPod." It plays perfectly well in my iTunes.

I checked the info on the disc and all the settings seem to be exactly the same as the settings for the DVD that worked.
Kind: MPEG-4 Video file
Total Bit Rate: 2433 kbps
Video Codec: H.264

I spent almost 2 hours waiting for this to convert and I'm very upset it didn't work even though it worked fine 2 days ago! I had to download VLC Media player last time, do you think VLC might have something to do with this?

Thanks!!

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
I used Handbrake to convert a DVD just the other night and it worked fine. I tried the exact same process over today and now when I try and move the DVD from my iTunes to my iPod Touch it tells me the disc "was not copied because it cannot be played on this iPod." It plays perfectly well in my iTunes.

I checked the info on the disc and all the settings seem to be exactly the same as the settings for the DVD that worked.
Kind: MPEG-4 Video file
Total Bit Rate: 2433 kbps
Video Codec: H.264

I spent almost 2 hours waiting for this to convert and I'm very upset it didn't work even though it worked fine 2 days ago! I had to download VLC Media player last time, do you think VLC might have something to do with this?

Thanks!!

Download 'Media Info Mac', drag the file in, click export, open the text file, and paste the contents here.

You're probably using the main profile rather than baseline, which can be solved by checking the 'iPod 5G support'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.